Just an observation

Guest eclsnowman

Guest eclsnowman

I am a little worried about our forum. I try very hard to answer forum questions to which I know the answer. I have not gotten no responses from my last several questions on various threads. I don't know if it is because of the holidays, the loss of many of the Omnia forefathers to droids and other phones, or that people people just don't like me in particular. But I feel like Modaco - i910 has slipped as a community lately. I just flashed my brothers i900 for Att and the i900 side of the forums seems to have a more active community right now.

This same thing happen a while back over at PPCGeeks. That community was really active for a while. PPCGeeks - Omnia is still there but not like when Adryn was over there.

It might just be me. How do you guys feel?

Guest Jmak512

To be honest with u i understand where u are coming from i wont lie to u i know a lot of ppl have just moved on to other phones other ppl just lost interest since everyone has done their own thing but dont worry there shall always be an omnia community open for us who cant upgrade just yet :)

Guest andredabomb92

yeah dude people are just moving onto bigger and better phones, it was only inevitable, but there are still some chefs around and i believe we are still in good hands...honestly the lack in chefs for i910 have almost inspired me to start myself but idk what the learning curve is like

Guest kdkinc

Eclsnowman:

I had to think about your question for a bit...

When I first finally dared to even think about making changes to my i910 I lurked for awhile.

The no GPS thing really irked me and really turned me off of VZW. I felt stuck.

Then I found Modaco and people like Blazingwolf, Bga55,and Adryn plus many more.

My first flash like most other people was sort of nerve racking but Blazingwolf's rom's were and are great.

Like any other good flashaholic in training I moved on to other chefs rom's with great and mixed results.

The main chefs were Bw & Bg55 (Evidence) that I followed then other new chefs appeared in there HUGE shadows.

Name like Waremike ,Storm,Lioryte,and Capcom Just to name a few.

They were helped by this forum and the chefs that lead the way at that time,Ya the great chefs have moved on the maybe greener pastures but looked at the chefs they left behind to help the Omnia flashaholics now.

Yes at one time this site had you flashing every 6 to 12 hours but now the good basic rom's seem to prevail.

I think as you hang on you'lll see many good rom"s and suggestion come from the members of this thread.

Good luck great question

:) ;)

Guest dmcnado

I think there are enough of us around still using the omnia, so there will still be activity here. I, for one, will have this phone for quite a while longer & I continue to cook. If it weren't for these custom roms, I would have thrown this phone out the window long ago!

Guest rfarrah
I think there are enough of us around still using the omnia, so there will still be activity here. I, for one, will have this phone for quite a while longer & I continue to cook. If it weren't for these custom roms, I would have thrown this phone out the window long ago!

I'll be here for a bit. As to helping/answering questions, I'm just not experienced enough to do that very much. Although, if I DO happen to know an answer I do try to jump in and post my $.02. :)

Guest arirang

the OMNIA i910 is a model we'll remember as the premier robust, flexible HW platform of its time that WE owned--either by choice or circumstance. even within this boom and bust of new devices, spec-wise the omnia holds its own and LEADS its class in affordability and durability, aka BANG for your buck--5MP video/camera, GPS, WIFI, BT, install apps to an expandable/portable memory storage, optical mouse input, flash/light, etc.

whenever i pop my head in a best buy, radio shack, or alternate carrier store, i fiddle with the latest and greatest--and most popular. i'm a relatively informed phone geek, and flashy ads and commercials dont sway me but CPU speed, battery mAh, available storage and RAM, chipset, build-quality does. the OMNIA is still a hi-performance beast--and chameleon--in this jungle.

the OMNIA community and it's chefs are savvy enough to ride out the current exuberance, buzz, hype, and artificial price-wars. i'm excited by the expanding choices of phones and OS's but refuse to fuel the price-gouging of their unlocked versions--paying for inflated data plans that subsidize the gouging is my only concession. i'm not rich nor a spendthrift, and like many here have to ride it out and the OMNIA i910 is the ideal to do it on without settling for less.

finally, the community at its core is about innovation and pushing limits, and it's very premature to believe the OMNIA is outdated or underpowered in its class.

Edited by arirang

Guest kdkinc

Very well stated Arirang !!!

" the community at its core is about innovation and pushing limits, and it's very premature to believe the OMNIA is outdated or underpowered in its class."

:) ;)

Guest nmayer79

" the community at its core is about innovation and pushing limits, and it's very premature to believe the OMNIA is outdated or underpowered in its class."

:) B)

+1 Very well said Arirang. This site is the main reason i prolly wont even use my upgrade when it gets here

Guest popsinger

:) B)

actually it seems like the Omnia is the only phone in it's class that can be made to look like all the other phones (with different UIs and themes available) but all the others can't be made to look like it. enough said!

nice to see everybody on this thread that seem to care and understand what's going on. i will have to be here for a while too since i just got my phone last august. together, we will keep it going and i will cook when and if that time comes when i have to. i may not know everything but i've been a programmer for 32 years and i'm sure that if i have to, i will figure it out for all of us. for now, we still have a few good chefs left and so there's still a lot of hope...

Guest jaycarl

It takes alot of time to configure different apps, load bookmarks, register (passwords) programs, etc. I use MS3.5.1 so it takes time to configure it exactly how I like it.

With that said, I think I know why this forum is slowing down.

People are figuring out base roms are more logical to use. When using a base rom you can configure your phone exactly the way you like it, installing only the apps that you actually use. If a new version of software (like google maps) comes out you don't need to flash to a new rom to get it or have redundant programs because you can't uninstall cooked in apps. Since it takes more work and creativity to use base roms people flash less (the slow down) because once they get there phone exactly how they like it and everything is working stable why would you flash again? Unless of course a new build comes out with features that would make you more functional.

I use Liorytes 28014 rom which works the best for me. After all the time I put into it with configurations and since I am no longer on vacation I will be sticking with it for awhile so I'm not on this forum as much as I use to be.

The tweaks, customizations you can do with this phone are why people on this forum are so passionate for the Omnia and windows mobile.

Guest BetterNot

As you can probably tell by my number of posts, I'm a lurker in this forum. I have however been enjoying the flash craze on my omnia for months, trying almost everyone's rom at least once before settling on my last 23511 version from storm a few weeks ago. I come back every couple days to see what's new and I agree the rate of change is slowing. I'e actually tried cooking but didn;t have the guts to flash what I put together. I've had the Omnia2 in my hands a couple times and have been hanging on before I pull the trigger for, I don't know, some reason. I think I'm going to just do it later today. Once the deed is done, I'll probably not be lurking in this forum. The excitement I had here was great motivation to start ramping up my participate over in O2. Heck, with the spare O1, I might get the guts up to risk the brick sing my own rom. Got to start someplace I guess.

Anyway, Thanks to everyone for all the fun over here, maybe see you O2 land soon.

Guest whiteblazer00

i'm glad to see there are so many users here that are determined to stay with "our" phone. I've been tempted a few times when friends would show off their phones. but, then i'd just go back to the kitchen and cook something else up that looked better. :) I'm very pleased with the Omnia, i've had it for 11 months and it still works like new(but better)! that's a record for me. It's so hard to believe that the "hightech smartphone" Omnia is as durable as it is. I might need to visit over here on Modaco a little more, bcuz it seems like there are some good pplz here too! later

Guest big_mike_2k6

ive loved my omnia since the day i got it and of course thanks to this forum i enjoy it even more. i like always checking in to see whats new because i like messing with new things. our side is slowing down but its to be expected but even when i switch phones i will still be around here to help with any info i can since this is where it all started for me. even then my omnia wont be going anywhere whenever i do upgrade. its gonna be my back up phone just in case

Guest yojoe600

had this phone for a year now and have seen a lot of rom makers come and go... and have used all of the big cookers roms.... im using the evidence's right now and will be till i get a new phone near the end of the year.. so ill be here guys

Guest inswva

Like everyone else, I've noticed a precipitous drop in activity here and at PPCGeeks relative to the i910. However, that is to be expected. I've gone through the same thing more than once. I started cooking on an HTC Apache and then moved to the HTC Titan. Around the time I upgraded to the Omnia the Apache chefs were all but gone and the Titan chefs were moving on to bigger and better things. With the excellent ROMs that were, and still are, being churned out by the Omnia community I never got into the Omnia kitchen to cook my own ROMs. I rocked bgill's ROMs for a long time and am now running a Waremike ROM. I hit Adryn's and BW's ROMs along the way too. All were excellent work and invaluable to our community.

In summary, the i910 is getting lost in the shuffle of what seems like the nearly weekly introduction of the next "gotta have it" phone. As for me, I'll be sticking with my i910 for awhile. It's been good to me and I haven't handled anything at the VZW store that I like better, including the Omnia 2 and the Droid. I'm sure at some point I will lust for some new hardware but, for now, the i910 is by far the best phone I've ever owned and, thankfully, has a great community to support it.

Edited by inswva

Guest BetterNot

Well, I upgraded today and I have to say I'm more than happy with Omnia 2. The screen is much better and easier to read. The response is noticeably faster. The phone call quality seems better though I think it's because the shape of the phone makes a better fit as I hold it to my ear and it didn't take long to get used to swype. Although I'm glad I moved on, I do think the O1 is a great phone, especially since I had it setup exactly the way I wanted. That's something I'll need to wait on with the O2. My 2c.