• 6 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia

Huddo12

Huddo12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:HTC Feeler(Typhoon)

Yeah, Paul made this sound so easy :lol: Well, I had the prob of Waiting for device - I had to turn off, and reboot by pressing trackball then POWER - next I discovered that once in THAT menu I need to press the power button once more to get into HBOOT - then the process worked.

Also on my previous attempts I thought I'd done it successfully but hadn't, so I had all sorts of probs with next stages.... When it is done correctly - 1. the phones Data will of course be wiped (Shoulda realised from this as on my first fail go it wasn't!!) 2 - you get an unlock icon at bottom of first splash if its worked. 3 - in fastboot etc from then on you get a pink bit at the top saying UNLOCKED :D

Dayzee - stating the obvious probably, but it might help :D :lol:

I'm having the same problem; "< waiting for device >" :D

Massive kudos to Paul for his great work, but the the instructions in this OP do seem a bit sparse, from the point of view of a newb.
I've read all the posts in this thread, but nothing has helped yet.
I'm sure there's just one small piece of information that I am missing...

I plug the phone into my computer, turn the phone off, start the phone with the trackball held down which gets me to the "Fastboot USB" screen, then I run "./fastboot-linux oem unlock" in terminal on my computer, and get stuck there on "waiting for device"

I can press the power button to go to the "HBoot" screen, and again to return to the "Fastboot USB" screen, I have the Android SDK installed and fully updated, still nothing.
I'm running Ubuntu, if that makes any difference.

Help, please....

Edited by Huddo12, 15 February 2010 - 01:06 AM.

xkonni

xkonni

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Devices:ville, vision, passion, dream
  • Twitter:@xkonni

I'm having the same problem; "< waiting for device >" :D

Massive kudos to Paul for his great work, but the the instructions in this OP do seem a bit sparse, from the point of view of a newb.
I've read all the posts in this thread, but nothing has helped yet.
I'm sure there's just one small piece of information that I am missing...

I plug the phone into my computer, turn the phone off, start the phone with the trackball held down which gets me to the "Fastboot USB" screen, then I run "./fastboot-linux oem unlock" in terminal on my computer, and get stuck there on "waiting for device"

I can press the power button to go to the "HBoot" screen, and again to return to the "Fastboot USB" screen, I have the Android SDK installed and fully updated, still nothing.
I'm running Ubuntu, if that makes any difference.

Help, please....

did you add the udev-rule?

sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
(actually you just need one of these lines, can use 'lsusb -vv | less' and '/Google' , check for idVendor to find out which, but it probably won't hurt to just add both)
paste this:
SUBSYSTEM==usb, SYSFS{idVendor}==0bb4, MODE=0666
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="18d1", MODE="0666"

and
sudo service udev restart

replug the phone and it should be fine.

Edited by xkonni, 15 February 2010 - 09:57 AM.

Huddo12

Huddo12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

(actually you just need one of these lines, can use 'lsusb -vv | less' and '/Google' , check for idVendor to find out which, but it probably won't hurt to just add both)
paste this:

and

Thanks xkonni, that's the info I needed, but even trying all combos of the line format and vendor id I still couldn't get the phone to show up :D
Not sure what the problem is...

I did finally get it to work on a windows box.

Here's some more detailed instructions (XP) for any newbs trying to do this:

- You'll need some files from the Android SDK, so install it on your computer first >>>>> http://developer.and...r04-windows.zip
- This step may not be necessary, but: I installed and updated every package in the SDK
- Turn the phone off.
- Hold the trackball down, and turn it back on. The phone will boot into the white bootloader screen with Androids on skateboards.
- Plug the phone into the computer
- The title of the menu on the phone will be FASTBOOT USB. Select the first item on the menu: BOOTLOADER
- The title of the menu will now be HBOOT. Select FASTBOOT
- Wait until you see a little bit of green text starting with "SD Checking" scroll down the screen and disappear. XP should now bring up the New Hardware Wizard.
- Install the USB drivers from the SDK "USB_Drivers" directory through the wizard.
- Restart your computer (Note: after I restarted, my computer no longer recognised the phone! ...but continue anyway.)
- Put AbdWinApi.dll and AbdWinUsbApi.dll from the SDK "tools" directory and fastboot-windows.exe from this zip file in a directory together >>>>> fastboot.zip
- Open a cmd window and cd to the directory where the three files are
- Enter "fastboot-windows.exe oem unlock". You should see "< waiting for device >".
- Select BOOTLOADER and FASTBOOT to switch back and forth between the two menus a couple of times, until the phone connects to the computer.
- The phone will now ask if you want to unlock the bootloader, select yes.
- The bootloader is now unlocked, the bootloader screen will have a pink UNLOCKED at the top, and an open lock is displayed in the phone startup graphics.

Edited by Paul, 03 June 2011 - 01:23 PM.

xkonni

xkonni

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Thanks xkonni, that's the info I needed, but even trying all combos of the line format and vendor id I still couldn't get the phone to show up :D
Not sure what the problem is...

could have done the quotes same in both lines... just copied mine and the other line from xda :D
but thats not the problem, did you do 'sudo service udev restart' too (or reboot)?
did the id match the one from lsusb?

what does dmesg say about the phone when plugging in?

Huddo12

Huddo12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

could have done the quotes same in both lines... just copied mine and the other line from xda :D
but thats not the problem, did you do 'sudo service udev restart' too (or reboot)?
did the id match the one from lsusb?

what does dmesg say about the phone when plugging in?

Yes, I did "sudo service udev restart" each time, the id from lsub was 18d1, and I used that, and I checked with "./fastboot-linux devices" but nothing ever showed up....

xkonni

xkonni

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Yes, I did "sudo service udev restart" each time, the id from lsub was 18d1, and I used that, and I checked with "./fastboot-linux devices" but nothing ever showed up....

and you did replug the phone after restarting udev, right?

dmesg output when i connect the phone in bootloader mode to my computer (ubuntu 9.10)
Feb 15 15:45:42 distance kernel: [19363.950106] usb 2-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 11
Feb 15 15:45:42 distance kernel: [19364.105227] usb 2-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
nothing fancy...

you can try with sudo once, if it works then, its related to udev (typo maybe).
if not, its a different problem

Edited by xkonni, 15 February 2010 - 02:53 PM.

AgentZ619

AgentZ619

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Devices:Nexus One
  • Twitter:@NA
I need help please, I am using Windows 7. I have ALL the following files in my Fastboot folder;

adb.exe
AdbWinApi.dll
ddms.bat
fastboot-windows.exe

I am in fastboot mode and when I type all the instructions in Command Prompt I get < Waiting for device >

I got into into HBOOT and it quickly scans and says 'No image ready' while on Command Prompt it says < Waiting for device >

Please help me kindly.

Many thanks

Huddo12

Huddo12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

and you did replug the phone after restarting udev, right?

Yep, so I don't know why it isn't working.

I need help please, I am using Windows 7. I have ALL the following files in my Fastboot folder;

adb.exe
AdbWinApi.dll
ddms.bat
fastboot-windows.exe
I am in fastboot mode and when I type all the instructions in Command Prompt I get < Waiting for device >

I got into into HBOOT and it quickly scans and says 'No image ready' while on Command Prompt it says < Waiting for device >

Please help me kindly.
Many thanks

I just posted instructions for windows a few posts back! (although it wasn't w7)

Don't know why you have adb.exe or ddms.bat. You need AdbWinUsbApi.dll.

Edited by Huddo12, 16 February 2010 - 12:15 AM.

Huddo12

Huddo12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

paste this:

and

Finally got it :D

Just needed BOTH lines in the file:

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0bb4", MODE="0666"

F__i__L

F__i__L

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Can anyone upload the dam it fastboot file??? For days the link is redirecting to www.modaco.com

xkonni

xkonni

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Can anyone upload the dam it fastboot file??? For days the link is redirecting to www.modaco.com

works fine in all browsers i tried, i suggest you check your settings.

anyway:
http://88.198.67.57/fastboot.zip

dopetastic

dopetastic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

- Put AbdWinApi.dll and AbdWinUsbApi.dll from the SDK "tools" directory and fastboot-windows.exe from this zip file in a directory together >>>>> fastboot.zip
- Open a cmd window and cd to the directory where the three files are
- Enter "fastboot-windows.exe oem unlock". You should see "< waiting for device >".

ok, big newb question here. i use mac primarily and i don't understand what you mean by putting the files into a directory together.

dopetastic

dopetastic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
nm i got it

'sein

'sein

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X
By magic I have a Ship SPL with S-OFF so I can unlock and relock my bootloader. If anyone knows whether I can read the SPL off my phone I'm happy to pass it on.

Posted Image

Edited by 'sein, 09 March 2010 - 11:59 AM.

xkonni

xkonni

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

By magic I have a Ship SPL with S-OFF so I can unlock and relock my bootloader. If anyone knows whether I can read the SPL off my phone I'm happy to pass it on.

Posted Image

we do already have the engineering spl. its on cyanogens server: http://n0rp.chemlab.org/android/nexus/
but afaik regular phones only got a 512k spl, that is 768k in size.

however, i do not know if someone tried to flash it already as it will almost certainly result in a bricked phone ;p

'sein

'sein

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Devices:HTC One X

but afaik regular phones only got a 512k spl, that is 768k in size.

In which case my SPL would probably be useful since its definitely a regular retail Nexus One, not a dev phone or holiday phone.

xkonni

xkonni

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

In which case my SPL would probably be useful since its definitely a regular retail Nexus One, not a dev phone or holiday phone.

okay, that sounds reasonable <_<
but i have to admit that i do not know how to pull the spl from the phone. maybe drop on #modaco or #cyanogenmod on freenode, i'm sure that someone there can help :mellow:

indieladadam

indieladadam

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Mine is stuck on <waiting for device> too =[ not doing anything, i downloaded sdk and updated all.. so drivers are up to date (it installed revision 3 successfully) but still does not pick up my phone when check for it by fastboot devices.. when i plug in the device while in fastboot windows attempts to install android 1.0 drivers unsuccessfully as no disk and can't auto install.

DanH48

DanH48

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Devices:HTC Hero

I think you should get onto Paul with this as if it is 512k then it shuld be able to be used if the signature can be reproduced.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users