HTC Hero 2.1 release tomorrow?

Guest ratcom

Guest ratcom

ok just checked the htc site (as I do daily :) ) to see if any new rom updates have been post and well....... both the Orange and Standard roms have been pulled! Does this mean they are about to release a new one B)

Guest ratcom
Interesting....

Bugger the roms are back now B) looks like a glitch or something (maybe while they added Nexus support page?) sorry if I raised hopes :)

Guest trustika
…Everybody will get 2.1 when it’s open source, within a couple of days…

from the press conf today for the Nexus One (Q&A section)...soooo we hope

P.S.

Jason Chen: Q: Why was it necessary for Google to design the phone? Why couldn’t it just be an HTC phone running the new flavor of Android? And will these new features becoming to Droid?

A: It’s inaccurate to say Google designed the phone (points to HTC CEO). [Google] is just merchandising it online. Everybody will get 2.1 when it’s open source, within a couple of days.

Edited by trustika

Guest pulser
from the press conf today for the Nexus One (Q&A section)...soooo we hope

P.S.

I hear what you're saying, and I really hope it's true! But (and there's always a but when I start a sentence like that :) ) I have heard suggestions that this is only saying the source will be released to 'manufacturers' tomorrow. I doubt a consumer release would be put out by HTC yet, although they obviously have the sources already due to making the Nexus One.

But, I'd love to be proved wrong! B)

Guest pillock

I've got a horrible feeling HTC are going to pull the same trick, can the 2.0 Hero update like they did with 1.6, and promise us a 2.1 update instead. The differences aren't great, but it'll still have to go through a full QA process which would start from scratch.

I just wish they'd release what they've got, or even just release a few core components to let the dev scene produce top-quality stuff. I mean people like Paul, Lox, Benhaam and jnwhiteh are really keeping the Hero alive right now, without them it's just a bog standard slightly sluggish 1.5 build. Why doesn't HTC play up to them, give them the tools and sources they need, and use the scene to make the Hero great again? HTC get to concentrate on latest and greatest, and Hero users get what they need.

Guest Dan Mullen
I've got a horrible feeling HTC are going to pull the same trick, can the 2.0 Hero update like they did with 1.6, and promise us a 2.1 update instead. The differences aren't great, but it'll still have to go through a full QA process which would start from scratch.

I just wish they'd release what they've got, or even just release a few core components to let the dev scene produce top-quality stuff. I mean people like Paul, Lox, Benhaam and jnwhiteh are really keeping the Hero alive right now, without them it's just a bog standard slightly sluggish 1.5 build. Why doesn't HTC play up to them, give them the tools and sources they need, and use the scene to make the Hero great again? HTC get to concentrate on latest and greatest, and Hero users get what they need.

They said a while ago that they were skipping 2.0 and going straight to 2.1 - I'd bet we'll have an official release in the next two weeks.

Guest igorsd
Everybody will get 2.1 when it’s open source, within a couple of days.

May be "A couple of days after Google releases 2.1 as open source"?

That doesn't mean "two days from now" :)

Guest Konrad Walsh
May be "A couple of days after Google releases 2.1 as open source"?

That doesn't mean "two days from now" :)

Do you think this is logical-

If I had a Nexus One, that as soon as Google release say 2.5, that it would go to that phone automatically? Rather than the current situation where we wait for HTC to package it their way?

Guest pillock

Probably not, since the Nexus One runs a customised version of Android, in the same way as Hero runs a customised version.

To get OTA updates you need a Google Experience phone, such as G1 and Magic. Anything non-Experience needs to wait for the manufacturer to release a specific ROM which may or may not be OTA.

Guest killerbyteZA

this is really frustrating. I am dying to try out a stable 2.0/2.1 ROM which has Sense UI but I have to wait for HTC to feel like doing it. This is frustrating. I want a MCR with 2.0/2.1 on my phone yesterday, i don't like waiting. :) B) ;) ;)

And another issue is Google's reluctance to allow HTC to release ROMs for my region. We can't download ROMs from HTCs site at all.

Edited by killerbyteZA

Guest Remington Steale

What, you mean they learned from T-Mobile UK??

Guest cezent
Probably not, since the Nexus One runs a customised version of Android, in the same way as Hero runs a customised version.

To get OTA updates you need a Google Experience phone, such as G1 and Magic. Anything non-Experience needs to wait for the manufacturer to release a specific ROM which may or may not be OTA.

In the case of Nexus One the software support is provided by Google, the "customised version" of Android is also by Google, they will probably release ROM update on google.com as soon as they are rolling out newer version of Android. I would say Nexus One is the handset to get if you are looking for most up-to-date Andriod function in near future (until they release the Nexus Two or whatever they are going to call it)

I wont rely on HTC to update ROM quickly. The bloody HEROs are still running the Android 1.5 which feel like from Ice Age, despite the brilliance of Sense UI.

Guest cezent
this is really frustrating. I am dying to try out a stable 2.0/2.1 ROM which has Sense UI but I have to wait for HTC to feel like doing it. This is frustrating. I want a MCR with 2.0/2.1 on my phone yesterday, i don't like waiting. :) B) ;) ;)

And another issue is Google's reluctance to allow HTC to release ROMs for my region. We can't download ROMs from HTCs site at all.

I dont think they are going to do it any time soon. selling Nexus One is probably higher up in their priority at the moment than selling HERO. If they release the software update for HERO its going to divert the revenue stream away from Nexus One. I dont see it as close to a good strategy when Nexus One is THE handset to go for at the moment.

They ll probably release it a few weeks after android 2.1 is opened up (and god knows when will that be). I m guessing Feb/March for HERO 2.1. a couple of month before they release the HTC Legend that's suppose to be HERO's replacement.

Edited by cezent

I dont think they are going to do it any time soon. selling Nexus One is probably higher up in their priority at the moment than selling HERO. If they release the software update for HERO its going to divert the revenue stream away from Nexus One. I dont see it as close to a good strategy when Nexus One is THE handset to go for at the moment.

They ll probably release it a few weeks after android 2.1 is opened up (and god knows when will that be). I m guessing Feb/March for HERO 2.1. a couple of month before they release the HTC Legend that's suppose to be HERO's replacement.

exactly man. when i said the same thing before every1 was on me saying i am a htc hater or something. but its common sense that an update for hero is the lowest priority for htc rather than selling nexus with 2.1 so as i said 2 months ago that the approx period will be feb-march and it will be like that. many of htc lovers were 200% sure that htc will give them 2.1 as x-mas gift.alas.

Guest slaguru
wont let me download as my serial number is an orange branded one, can someone upload it?!!

I have a sim unlocked HTC branded one, and my Serial does not work... Not sure who this is for.