swype on Nexus One

Guest martinbrook

Guest AndroidAppCritic

I'm usually just read the posts on MoDaCo (I'm a frequent poster on another forum) but I had to chime in here. I use ShapeWriter for Android and I find it at least three times better and faster than Swype. I personally don't care if Swype ever comes out. The only issues I have with ShapeWriter are the symbol placement and the skin. I think that the @ symbol can be a little more prominent and one or two other changes. The colors and shape of the keys are a bit ugly and can use a facelift. In the interest of fairness, ShapeWriter doesn't work with Terminal Emulator but I haven't tried it with Swype. I don't know who to blame--the keyboard developer or the developer of Better Terminal--but it can be annoying. I just switch to Better Keyboard when working in terminal. But other than these minor cosmetic issues (and the rather annoying term issue) I think it may very well be the best keyboard on the market today. I know that that will probably change but until it does, I'll stick with ShapeWriter. I became proficient with both Swype and ShapeWriter (I actually used Swype first) and am much faster on ShapeWriter.

I'm usually just read the posts on MoDaCo (I'm a frequent poster on another forum) but I had to chime in here. I use ShapeWriter for Android and I find it at least three times better and faster than Swype. I personally don't care if Swype ever comes out. The only issues I have with ShapeWriter are the symbol placement and the skin. I think that the @ symbol can be a little more prominent and one or two other changes. The colors and shape of the keys are a bit ugly and can use a facelift. In the interest of fairness, ShapeWriter doesn't work with Terminal Emulator but I haven't tried it with Swype. I don't know who to blame--the keyboard developer or the developer of Better Terminal--but it can be annoying. I just switch to Better Keyboard when working in terminal. But other than these minor cosmetic issues (and the rather annoying term issue) I think it may very well be the best keyboard on the market today. I know that that will probably change but until it does, I'll stick with ShapeWriter. I became proficient with both Swype and ShapeWriter (I actually used Swype first) and am much faster on ShapeWriter.

I find swype gets the word right the first time round much more often than shapewriter..

I find swype gets the word right the first time round much more often than shapewriter..

Me too - I like shapewriter, but I find i have to go more slowly and accurately with it than I do with Shapewriter. Swype gets it right far more often.

Dayz

Guest Peter sf
Same here Paul. Errors but it does work.

Well, I have the same problem with it that I have with the Autocorrection and the normal keyboard:

For some reason, Android doesn't seperate INPUT and SYSTEM-Language. There's just no convenient way to quickly switch the language for input (unless I'm missing something) - which for people using two or more languages is very annoying. I live in the US, but communicate A LOT in german. As soon as I switch to german, I get the german news, too...

At least things like that were very well solved in the good old symbian.

Guest vinny.1967
Same here Paul. Errors but it does work.

check this out !

1 - Direct your phones browser to this file Swype_ver0.35.3959_nexus_delfix.apk.

2 - Download and Install

Swype Works!!! "Landscape" and "No Errors"

Guest Michael Spencer Jr.

First Google hit for that filename is the file itself. That seems to me to be one step shy of an actual link, though it's not my place to try to interpret forum rules. That said, the file installed fine on my Nexus One and works beautifully. I'm impressed.

(Also a comparison of the two zip files shows only png files added to assets/keyboards and different signature data in META-INF. So as long as yours has an md5 ending in b2e292ef you can be pretty confident it's not malicious. Hope this doesn't step over the line.)

Guest The Swype Team

Hi everyone,

We would like to provide an update regarding the unauthorized distribution of our Swype software for the Android platform. We realize that many sites are now distributing this software and several are providing installation instructions.

We are glad that you like Swype, but we did not release or leak it for distribution and do not currently support any downloadable versions.

There are now two devices that ship with the Swype keyboard pre-installed: the Verizon Samsung Omnia II on Windows Mobile and, more recently, the T-Mobile MyTouch 3G. We’re very excited about these releases, and there will be a number of new device launches in the near future. Because our partners are highly sensitive about their product releases, we really cannot say anything further. But a lot of work goes into making sure that Swype integrates perfectly with each device we release and by comparison, any leaked or hacked version of our software will work improperly or not at all (as many of you have noticed).

One might ask why we don't just release it ourselves and save everyone the hassle? The reason is that we have spent seven years building Swype and our business model at present is OEM licensing. We do plan to get to direct-to-consumer distribution, but it is a different sort of business with unique challenges and thus it is hard to say when.

Stay tuned (and provide feedback) on our forum at www.swype.com.

Best regards,

The Swype Team

Our lawyer has asked us to remind everyone that Swype does not explicitly or implicitly condone the unauthorized copying and distribution of the Swype software and to inform you that the Swype software is proprietary to Swype, Inc., is the copyrighted work of Swype, Inc., and Swype, Inc. has and always will reserve all of its rights.

Guest Michael Spencer Jr.

Hello Swype team. I look forward to finally being able to pay you for this impressive input method software which, I'm happy to report, works beautifully and without error on the Nexus One. Both portrait and landscape orientations.

It feels like there's a conflict here, but there doesn't have to be. I of course can't speak for the Internet at large, but I do know it's exceedingly difficult to remove content from the Internet, even if you have the budget and legal firepower of a nation. This can be frustrating if you have poured years into a project and are having trouble trying to monetize all that work.

I don't speak from any sort of position of authority but I would recommend you take your legal team's advice with a grain of salt. It can be difficult to tell if the people you pay for legal advice are profit-motivated and want to encourage action that well lead to more litigation and more revenue for them.

Either way, the Internet will certainly carry on doing what it does with information. Will you still be our friend? How about if we throw in some good word of mouth?

<3,

-- The Internet