Can we force 3G only and not HSDPA?

Guest hpr

Guest chingy1788

To my understanding 3G is HSDPA

are you asking for 2G? (Edge, GSM)

There are various 2G/3G toggles out there

and all android versions should have the ability to lock 2G only (G1 and the Liquid does)

My liquid has the ability to lock 3G only

Guest Seth Cold

no, its like GPRS (56kbps) vs EDGE (256kbps)

theres WCDMA (3g in the icon) (384kbps...same time as voice) vs HSDPA (H in the icon) (up to 7.2mbps)

in winmo there`s an option to disable hsdpa and keep the 3g speeds, for low data consumption and save a lot of battery

Guest Lorents

If press menu button -> Settings -> Wireless controls -> Mobile networks there is a choice there to force the phone to use 2G only for power saving. Its also a choice for the use of 3G, but I suspect that 3G includes HSDPA.

There is a developer named Curvefish that have developed lots of free toggle widgets that you can get from the market - if you search for "2G-3G OnOff" you should get a nice one to limit the phone to 2G :)

If press menu button -> Settings -> Wireless controls -> Mobile networks there is a choice there to force the phone to use 2G only for power saving. Its also a choice for the use of 3G, but I suspect that 3G includes HSDPA.

There is a developer named Curvefish that have developed lots of free toggle widgets that you can get from the market - if you search for "2G-3G OnOff" you should get a nice one to limit the phone to 2G :)

Yes Lorents, there are many but they do not differentiate between 3G mode and HSDPA mode.

I would like my phone to operate in GSM, EDGE, 3G(UMTS) mode only but not HSDPA. Is there a plugin for that?

Guest trispect
no, its like GPRS (56kbps) vs EDGE (256kbps)

theres WCDMA (3g in the icon) (384kbps...same time as voice) vs HSDPA (H in the icon) (up to 7.2mbps)

HSPA-family supports transfer rates up to 14Mbps for download and 5,76Mbps for upload

HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access ) for download

HSUPA(High Speed Uplink Packet Access) or EUL(Enhanced uplink) for upload

I don't think there is much difference with 3G and HSPA in terms of power consumption.

You can also think it like this: If you need the speed of 3G (eg. you are downloadin big file) it doesn't hurt to use HSPA if available because you have to use that connection shorter time when file downloads faster.

And if you are just updating your RSS-feeds or widgets or something else similar which requires only small amount of data you can use 2G connections and save power.

Edited by trispect

HSPA-family supports transfer rates up to 14Mbps for download and 5,76Mbps for upload

HSDPA (High Speed Downlink Packet Access ) for download

HSUPA(High Speed Uplink Packet Access) or EUL(Enhanced uplink) for upload

I don't think there is much difference with 3G and HSPA in terms of power consumption.

You can also think it like this: If you need the speed of 3G (eg. you are downloadin big file) it doesn't hurt to use HSPA if available because you have to use that connection shorter time when file downloads faster.

And if you are just updating your RSS-feeds or widgets or something else similar which requires only small amount of data you can use 2G connections and save power.

My arguement would be that

a) I'd prefer to have the 3G (UMTS) mode all the time for SIP/VOIP. EGDE just doesn't do it.

:) From my experience from WinMob's, HSDPA and even worse HSUPA drains more batt than 3G(UMTS).

c) Either way, having that option would enable us to experiment on whether HSDPA drains more batt or not.

Guest Seth Cold

my guess is just for push mail or msn and stuff, you dont really need HSDPA, 3g would do fine...im sorry i pointed it as WCDMA, i was wrong, its UMTS speeds 384kbps

this might give u an idea

http://www.clintonfitch.com/reviews/clinto...eak/default.asp

"AT&T here in the United States has been promoting heavily their 3G network and have really built a marketing campaign around it, especially with the 2nd generation of the iPhone. With HSDPA disabled, the network indicator on the device comes up at 3G, not H. This eliminates any customer confusion ("Does H mean I have 3G?") and saves AT&T support engineers from having to explain it countless times. Again, this is my theory... Just so everyone is clear, 3G, by definition, included HSPA (HSDPA, HSUPA, HSPA+) as well as UMTS, FOMA and W-CDMA. The variances here are the speeds which you can obtain while downloading on your device. The different speed rates will largely depend on your carrier but HSDPA can do up to 14.4 Mbits/sec."

and

http://blogs.technet.com/vik/

"Cellular 3G - EVDO, HSDPA: While the EVDO (CDMA) radio doesn't put a huge strain on a Device the HSDPA (GSM/UMTS) radio can considerably tax a devices battery. Many Non-Windows Mobile manufactures haven't released devices that have HSDPA into the market place. One of the speculated reasons is that HSDPA radios have an adverse effect on battery life and this is a major concern with current battery technology. On the other hand with many Windows Mobile devices there are ways to turn off the high speed HSDPA radio. I've blogged on how to do this on the Samsung Blackjack. Disabling the HSDPA radio will improve battery life but it will also make you lose the functionality of the high speed radio. This doesn't really effect the device if you are just using it for Activesync (Mail Sync) but if you are browsing the web or using your device as a modem for you PC then you'll want to make sure you don't disable the HSDPA Radio"

Guest trispect
My arguement would be that

a) I'd prefer to have the 3G (UMTS) mode all the time for SIP/VOIP. EGDE just doesn't do it.

:)

c) Either way, having that option would enable us to experiment on whether HSDPA drains more batt or not.

Hmm I guess that for VOIP it could make sense. For me I can't figure out use case. (I don't pay my own calls =)

I use 2G only for normal use and when I surf web or download something I use fastest connection that is available. (My data plan is max 512kbps)

From my experience from WinMob's, HSDPA and even worse HSUPA drains more batt than 3G(UMTS).

HSDPA and HSUPA are both part of HSPA as I said earlier. HSDPA is for downloading data and HSUPA for uploading data. Hence the D for downlink and U for uplink.

• 1 month later...
Guest MrAss69

From my personal experience so far, this coukd be useful for all people.

I'm experiencing some issues with HSxPA enabled, regarding connection problems and speed (56k modem's faster than this sh*t... -.-)

Haven't seen this option in WinMob (Eten M800 doesn't seem to have it) but in Symbian S60.

o2 Germany experiencing some issues with HSxPA from time to time, so i'm forced to switch to HSxPA-less 3G to get rid of this problem...

But having "lost" the power-cord of my E71 atm, i'm stuck to HSxPA@2G-speed... -.- life's a bitch, or at least HSxPA... <_<

Guest VivendaLab
HSPA = 3G

disabling one will disable the other...

On my touch cruise (windows mobile) I could have 3g with hspa disabled.

Guest MrAss69
HSPA = 3G

disabling one will disable the other...

Nope, that's not right...

Disabling 3G means no HSxPA (which is 3.5G, if you like too), because HSxPA is a protocol, set atop 3G to enable higher datarates.

If you disable HSxPA, you still get the 3G-benefits.

• 3 months later...
Guest Simon Walker

Did anyone ever find a resolution to this?

We would like to do the same to try and figure out the 3G connection issues on the Nexus One.

You can find more info of our testing here.

Its driving everyone insane so we decided to do some serious testing and disabling HSDPA is something we want to try while still having regular 3G