So Nexus one... worth getting over my Hero?

Guest Chris Jenx

Guest Chris Jenx

I've been toying with the idea of selling my HTC Hero in favour of the N1, I just want to know if there are any users out there, which have both devices, or have sold there Hero in favour of the N1?

If so is it really a big step up? or would it be a small transitsion.

The 2 main selling points for me is that screen and proccessor. apart from that i love my little hero especialy after the work Paul has done with MCR.

Thanks to all in advance for replying.

Cheers,

Chris

Guest zeus_hunt

I personally am split between and Acer Liquid and Nexus One.

Wondering which one to purchase..

Hoping someone with both the phones like Paul can answer this.

Nexus One is about as up to date as any phone can get at the moment. To me the choice was rather simple as I find the hardware specs of HERO too much of a limit, and HTC is not up to speed in term of software updating. Its more of a faster machine + better screen (and camera, and voice and many many other things) + Android 2.1 vs Sense UI.

That's not to say Nexus One is greater than Hero in every aspect. HTC has done a great job with Sense UI, particularly in terms of appearance, HERO UI is prettier than N1 and the widget are more user friendly in many ways. However, I think the limit of Hero's hardware configuration and Android 1.5 being 3 generation behind 2.1 is just too far behind. Nexus One is a natural choice for developers to focus on and I think its reasonable to assume the best 3rd party apps and custom ROM will be based off Nexus One from now on.

And also, bear in mind that in a couple of month's time,HTC will be releasing their own branded 1GHz AMOLED handset (HTC Bravo or whatever they are going to call it) that has Sense UI and hardware configuration at least match that of Nexus One, probably better looking too. For that reason, I m happy to toy around with the Nexus One for the moment and get the best out of it. Afterall, Hero was the handset from last decade! :)

HTC 2010 Line-up

Hero is Great phone, especially with Paul doing his great job and Tek for this Kernel modes! Hardware wise, it is superior over Hero but give it 2-3 months and thats gonna be the case again. Enjoy your phone, unless there is something you really don't like in it. Hero is very pretty, for me prettier than Nexus One ! and check out the link, a new coming soon line up and i bet they will have similar specs to Nexus one if not better. The Legend looks awesome,don't you think ?

EDIT: maybe the processor aint gonan be faster after all :\ but lets hope for an upgrade .. :)

Edited by Marcon

Guest Amdathlonuk

I would only consider the Bravo from the current HTC 2010 lineup.

However, I've just sold my HTC HERO (Yesterday) and ordered my Nexus the same day ;-)

Willing to have a play until something new comes out, if I don't like it I won't have any trouble selling it.

Have both and 2.1 + sexy looks = Nexus all the way

Problems with both handsets

Nexus .. I keep catching the edge of the screen when reaching to touch meaning I get a wrong position on the screen

Acer ... Screen not too sensitive near the edge

Acer ... no hard buttons or trackball / pad

Nexus ... AMOLED screen meaning too shiny to see in direct sun

Acer ... no source released yet

The nexus looks like being the rom cookers device of choice

ACER seems quicker

Edited by Rocky7

I would only consider the Bravo from the current HTC 2010 lineup.

However, I've just sold my HTC HERO (Yesterday) and ordered my Nexus the same day ;-)

Willing to have a play until something new comes out, if I don't like it I won't have any trouble selling it.

I m with you on this one :)

Guest Chris Jenx

Thanks for all the replies I did read your 24hrs of Nexus hell TonyL but seen as i dont use exchange contacts that wouldnt really effect me.

Personaly as many of you have mentioned the NexusOne will be the next base development phone (like the G1 is) well thats the vibe im getting at least. but true their is allways gunna be another new phone out.. but looking at that line up of 2010, nothing their really caught my eye. and the Bravo (what ever its called) has less RAM, so even if it is running Sense surely the 512 would make more sense.

I allso want to start deving some apps and will prob start dev at 2.1 with the nexus, as specs go there inst really anything in the next 6 months that will swamp it (well that is public knowledge at least)

Seen as i dont need to sell my Hero straight away to get the N1 I might use them side by side for a while.

I know people have mentioned the Acer Liquid navigating faster but im going to go out on a limb here and say thats because its not using the new 2.1 graphics framework which im sure will be optimised as time goes on and as more point releases are sent out to the N1..

But from what I've heard apart from no physical buttons (for hang up and menu etc) and the screen not working in direct sunlight. Theirs nothing which you could say to me... I wouldnt get one because of [....]?

Thanks All

Chris

Guest Mantisen
Thanks for all the replies I did read your 24hrs of Nexus hell TonyL but seen as i dont use exchange contacts that wouldnt really effect me.

Personaly as many of you have mentioned the NexusOne will be the next base development phone (like the G1 is) well thats the vibe im getting at least. but true their is allways gunna be another new phone out.. but looking at that line up of 2010, nothing their really caught my eye. and the Bravo (what ever its called) has less RAM, so even if it is running Sense surely the 512 would make more sense.

I allso want to start deving some apps and will prob start dev at 2.1 with the nexus, as specs go there inst really anything in the next 6 months that will swamp it (well that is public knowledge at least)

Seen as i dont need to sell my Hero straight away to get the N1 I might use them side by side for a while.

I know people have mentioned the Acer Liquid navigating faster but im going to go out on a limb here and say thats because its not using the new 2.1 graphics framework which im sure will be optimised as time goes on and as more point releases are sent out to the N1..

But from what I've heard apart from no physical buttons (for hang up and menu etc) and the screen not working in direct sunlight. Theirs nothing which you could say to me... I wouldnt get one because of [....]?

Thanks All

Chris

Read over at xda-developers that the N1 doesn't utilize all the ram at the moment due to a limitation in the kernel:

This is a quick blurb that will make a lot of people happy. Remember the ramhack for the G1? Well, the Nexus One only has 218MB memory available to Linux, despite having a whopping 512MB total. Even the Motorola Droid, with 256MB total, has more RAM available to Linux! I asked about this, and romainguy explained on the Android IRC channel:

Quote:

<coolbho3k> How can the Droid have 256MB of RAM but 230+MB memfree, while the Nexus has 512MB RAM but only 218MB memfree?

<@romainguy_> there's a limitation in the kernel

<@romainguy_> next update should give you 100 or 150 MB back

<coolbho3k> Very nice!!!

<@romainguy_> swetland can tell you more

There we go. A "memhack" kernel update in the next Nexus One OTA should give us an additional 100-150MB RAM. Who wants to try to compile a kernel that does this now?

You can read more on the xda-dev forums about it.

Guest SurrealNetworks
HTC 2010 Line-up

Hero is Great phone, especially with Paul doing his great job and Tek for this Kernel modes! Hardware wise, it is superior over Hero but give it 2-3 months and thats gonna be the case again. Enjoy your phone, unless there is something you really don't like in it. Hero is very pretty, for me prettier than Nexus One ! and check out the link, a new coming soon line up and i bet they will have similar specs to Nexus one if not better. The Legend looks awesome,don't you think ?

EDIT: maybe the processor aint gonan be faster after all :\ but lets hope for an upgrade .. :)

Thank you for posting the link to HTC's 2010 line-up. I've noticed that the Nexus One has double the RAM of any phone in that list, nice!

Guest AndyCr15

I'm wondering about the same thing myself, should I swap my Hero for the Nexus One.

For me, I'm really worried about the user interface though. I've had a little fiddle with 2.0 and 2.1 ROM's on the Hero and I've gone back to 1.5 with Sense UI. There are a few things I missed, for example, on my Hero I can text a whole group in one message. I have my favourite contacts on a widget on one of me home screens, which I use quite a bit.

The problem is, I'm not sure when something's missing, is it just because its a 2.1 ROM ported over so some things don't work, or is that just how 2.1 is...