Tips for a Successful ROM Flashing - i900/i908 Omnia
How to Prevent Your Omnia's Death X_X
For those who are interested to know my reason for starting this topic, here is my simple answer... I had bricked my omnia(i900) last December and it's really a nightmare. I know the feeling that's why I don't want others to experience such a "nightmare". I researched for ways on how to revive my omnia and tried every method. That's when I got to know my omnia more extensively(I should have done that before T_T). Luckily, I found someone from my country who had fixed it using jtag and he'd fixed it after some days. I hope others won't have the same problem.
Here are the tips...
1. For first time flashing, read thoroughly about the flashing procedure. ROM Flashing is not a Trial and Error Method. Follow the complete procedure.
2. Make sure that you turned off your PC's firewall and antivirus software and you properly installed Samsung Modem drivers.(thanks ock! ^^,)
3. Use USB 2.0 or higher.
4. Use a computer which has an uninterruptible power supply(power supply must not be interrupted during the update process). Some people prefer using a laptop with windows xp.
5. It's advisable to use .exe updater for xp but you can also try other methods like grandprix for other computer OS(but it's riskier - you must research thoroughly about this).
6. Be patient and calm. Do not panic. When you panic, there's a tendency that you will pull out the USB cable.
7. If things go bad and you had a problem While updating with official or non official updates, DO NOT DISCONNECT PHONE FROM USB and don't try to reset it. As long as you have Omnia Logo, you might be able to revive your phone by Grandprix.
8. When using grandprix: (a) be careful not to flash your phone part using the pda.bin and ( you must flash only compatible eboot and pda (eboot and pda must have the same version, e.g. DXIA5) otherwise, your phone will brick.
9. Do not flash while doing other things on your computer. If it hangs because of multitasking, then you have a big problem.
10. Make sure that your omnia is charged enough to complete the flashing process.(more than 60% as advised by our dear ock on the second post)
11. If the updater says that it's "job done" and your omnia stays on the boot screen for a very long time, try to flash using another updater. If it still have the same problem, try to charge your omnia and flash using another computer. If still, it doesn't work, then try grandprix.
12. The most complicated part of the update process is the downloading of eboot because it's needed in order for the computer to recognize the omnia. You have to be VERY careful not to interrupt that process.
13. When choosing a ROM, check its reliability by reading comments about it in the forum. Flash only ROMs from trustworthy uploaders.
14. Check the ROM that you've downloaded. The file must not be corrupted or else something bad will happen.
15. If you do not need to update the phone part, do not do so. As what I've read from some persons' topics, flashing only the eboot+pda has a less chance of bricking your phone.
16. Only i90x (i900/i908) Omnia can be flashed by i900 ROMs and not i9x0 (i910/i920).
17. Others prefer to hard reset omnia after flashing(to prevent some bugs)
18. Other methods which you can try if your omnia is near-to-death:
If others want to add some more tips (those who are more knowledgeable regarding this matter...) please feel free to post in this topic. I'll add your tips on the first post. Feel free to comment on this topic.
Thanks Modaco! Thanks also to our great chefs! (anzo, Bruno Adler, cruddasj, Khuanchai, Krazy Radd, Laurie, MAMBO04, Mr.Hammer, NarutoDKz, Nicklashidegard, ock, OCMan, P_Dhee, Ryrzy, sector, shokka9, Ste-V-illage, steff195, Qbus) -arranged alphabetically
Happy flashing my friends!
Edited by ...angel..., 19 February 2010 - 03:17 AM.