UK Owners: Have You Been Charged VAT, If So How Much?

Guest HaggleLad

Guest HaggleLad

Hi all,

Thought I'd start this thread so those that everyone can get an idea of how, when, how much & even whether peiople escaped paying the dreaded VAT.

15/01/2010: I personally have receieved 2 phones, at this point I have paid no VAT (or import duty which apparently isn't applicable to mobiles) but am expecting an invoice from DHL with a couple of weeks.

I've seen that another forum user has been already charged VAT, details below...

mine now says Available on payment by recipient. Liverpool, United Kingdom

did anybody else get that on their tracking?

They won't deliver mine until I pay, but I have had to ring to find that out!!

I am now going to go and collect the parcel as if I pay over the phone it won't go out for delivery until tomorrow and I may not get it until Friday!!!!!

For anyone wondering I have to pay £61.40 in VAT so the total I have paid for the Nexus is £422.44.

Had anyones box been opened before delivery, or the paperwork at the top removed ? Mine was intact, so how would they know the value of the transaction (including any additional accessories purchased, e.g. charger liable for duty), as there was no other custom declaration on the box ?

Edited by saquib

Guest Chris Jenx
True, mine was intact too...?

P

Seen as DHL fast track through customs by letting them know before they land what is expected. It is up to DHL from what I can see to charge you... or possibly DHL will tell customs the type of product and value to customs then they will chase it up. Google/HTC would tell the courier what the package is so they know what type&price each item is, thus the lack of needing to open the package for customs. If you ever send a package with DHL they normally have to look in the box before its closed as they want to know what there sending. (well at the times I've sent something with them I have.)

There's quite a bit of info on the DHL website just as to what I means for us is the tricky one.

If they forget to chase us up... I'm not going to complain, but I unfortunately doubt that lol.

(My N1 is out for delivery today... hurry up and deliver!!!)

From what I heard about DHL in the past, they will hold on to ur parcel if there is any VAT due, if they deliver straigtaway that usually means all the fees are cleared. I dont actually know anyone s got VAT bill from DHL 2-3 weeks after the delivery..It seems like a rather random process. of course, I could be completely wrong..but this is just what I ve heard so far.

Had a look at the DHL site:

http://www.dhl.co.uk/publish/gb/en/informa...d_vat.high.html

Appears DHL pay the duty and then invoice you.

To quote the relevant bit:

How are the charges paid?

We will not be able to deliver your goods to you until we have paid the Duty and VAT charges on your behalf. Some businesses have their own accounts with HM Customs and Excise and we merely arrange for their account to be directly debited by Customs. Many other importers, particularly private consumers do not have an account with Customs. We must therefore pay the charges on your behalf before we can deliver your goods to you. We will then invoice you for the Duty and VAT we have paid over on your behalf. A small administration fee will be added to the Duty and VAT invoice we send you.

What is the administration fee?

The fee for business customers is £10 or 2% of the total duty/VAT incurred, whichever is the greater. The growth of Internet shopping has led us to introduce a different administration fee for private individuals. This is because net shoppers are usually buying infrequently and purchasing low cost items such as CDs, DVDs or software. We felt that low usage such as this merited a different fee structure. We charge £1.25, or 2% of the total duty/VAT incurred, whichever is the greater. This compares very favourably with our competitors and we are, as far as we are aware, the only air express carrier who has introduced a special rate for private individuals.

Guest Fat Steve

When the parcel is posted they sender has to fill in a declaration of value and type of goods. You see it on items from play.com, they send em individually to keep under threshold.

Check the breakdown on any VAT invoice you get as I've had a parcel from NFL.com before and the VAT calculation was worked on the dollar value rather than the pounds value. This was when the rate was about 2:1 so they were wanting me to pay double.

Phone at Cincinatti but I want it now!

In the past when I bought books and other things from US via DHL, I get charged VAT half the time, and whenver I do get charged they deliver the invoice with the good and will not give it to me unless I pay it on the spot, otherwise they ll leave a note for me to phone them and rearrange. at least that has been my experience, there was no particular patent of which ones get charged VAT and which ones dont get charged. In fact, i ve bought the same book from the same retailer twice and got charged VAT on one of them, and other one just arrived with not extra fees mentioned...

Guest martinbrook
In the past when I bought books and other things from US via DHL, I get charged VAT half the time, and whenver I do get charged they deliver the invoice with the good and will not give it to me unless I pay it on the spot, otherwise they ll leave a note for me to phone them and rearrange. at least that has been my experience, there was no particular patent of which ones get charged VAT and which ones dont get charged. In fact, i ve bought the same book from the same retailer twice and got charged VAT on one of them, and other one just arrived with not extra fees mentioned...

I was probably one of the first to receive my Nexus (14:45 on the 7th Jan) and no sign of any DHL invoice.

MArtin

I was probably one of the first to receive my Nexus (14:45 on the 7th Jan) and no sign of any DHL invoice.

MArtin

You were at least second :)

I haven't had a VAT invoice either, when I spoke to DHL they said there was nothing due either but it hadn't been delivered then.

Guest catfesh

Mine turned up on the 13th - which surprised the hell out of me.

Normally, if I buy *anything* from the USA, it gets delivered by UPS or DHL. Neither will deliver the item until I've paid the customs charges, duty and VAT - plus their 'admin charge' (which is preposterously high). I usually get a letter from them with instructions on how to pay the charges, and then they'll deliver.

However I've had both the Nx1 turn up via DHL without any demand for duty and VAT, plus a Think Outside bluetooth stowaway keyboard via UPS, again without any demand for duty and VAT.

I suspect that the snow and the backlog of airmail due to airport closures, and potentially lack of Customs staff due to travel problems, has led to a load of government employees taking the week off and all these orders making it through the post without being assessed by Customs.

Sounds weird, but I've never had stuff like this turn up without a Customs demand first. Two separate items, both liable for duty and VAT, both from the States, but both from separate couriers, have arrived at my business address without duty demands.

This is a big :) from me as it's saved me the duty (I'd obviously claim back the VAT as I'm VAT registered), but more importantly I got the goods a lot quicker without the usual delays in UK Customs....

I suspect things will be back to normal now the snow has melted in the south though.

Come on people everybody know the way our C&E charges for Duty is completely random. I dont think you can definitively say that you will definitely be or not be charged. I guess it depends on who is behind the desk that day and just how hung over they are! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

nothing, and not expecting to receive one.

In fact, I still dont think they have the legal right to bill customer extra after the transaction has completed.

Guest Jonnyw2k

I got mine on Friday, It had a VAT note in it saying they would send the invoice out later, £61.40 was the total for VAT and DHL Charges. There was no duty though on the note.

Guest Shuflie
nothing, and not expecting to receive one.

In fact, I still dont think they have the legal right to bill customer extra after the transaction has completed.

You haven't had a transaction with DHL as yet, they pay any VAT and duties to the customs and excise people on your behalf and can quite legally request that money back from you. Now as to whether any money has actually been paid out to C&E who knows, I'd imagine that if nothing has come through from DHL after 28 days then it probably hasn't, and in the eyes of the law we will have committed an offense, its the responsibility of whoever imports goods to make sure that all the appropriate fees are paid. :)

Guest squirreleater
I got mine on Friday, It had a VAT note in it saying they would send the invoice out later, £61.40 was the total for VAT and DHL Charges. There was no duty though on the note.

What? Inside the cardboard box?

Mine (finally) came today and the bax was sealed up, guess I better actually read the paperwork!

Guest Jonnyw2k
What? Inside the cardboard box?

Mine (finally) came today and the bax was sealed up, guess I better actually read the paperwork!

Noooooo!!!, in the little paperwork pouch on the front.