GSM 2G+3G ("WCDMA preferred") drains my battery over 5 times faster than exclusive 3G ("WCDMA Only")

Guest dogei22

Guest dogei22

I guess this is heavily related to the surfaced 3G connection stability issues with the Nexus One, but using 3G on my N1 REALLY drains my battery even if I have a stable connection.

To save battery over night, I disabled the Wifi connection (making my 3G stay on over night with ~2 bars). I did this at about 1am with roughly 50-60% left and @ 7 am the battery died. I.e. in just 6 hours, the idle 3G connection ate over half of my battery. I happened to check the phone around 6am and it was actually rather warm, almost just as hot as it gets from re-charging. I did not have any other background apps running.

Also, my battery usage readings during today showed that Cell standby is one of the biggest battery hogs with about 30-40% drain. Looking into details, it shows that I had serious connection problems (37% disconnected) even if there are no signs of that with normal usage. With Wifi on, I see none of these problems, the N1 stays happy over night without any problems...

My HTC Hero I usually get a 20-25% battery drain over night (tested earlier for about 9 hours = ~2.5%/hour), while the N1 seems to suck about 10%/hour in idle mode with the 3G connection enabled. I might be in an area where 3G is not the strongest, but this is the first (smart)phone that actually has a real issue with that.

Anyone else with similar N1 3G experiences?

---

UPDATE! Summary of battery performance using 2G and/or 3G ordered from best to worst (at my home, network conditions may change results significantly for anyone else):

Average battery drain / hour when phone is idle with screen off:

1) 3G exclusively, no Wifi (dial *#*#4636#*#* => Phone information => WCDMA only): 1.7% / hour

2) 2G only, no Wifi: 2.4% / hour

3) 2G only + Wifi On: 4.4% / hour

4) Standard shipping mode (WCDMA prefered, i.e. both 2G and 3G enabled, Wifi off): 10% / hour

Edited by dogei22

Guest dogei22

Did the same tests with 2G enabled, the difference is huge!

I put the N1 phone idling on 2G (with WiFi off) over night in the exact same spot and it drained about <20% of the battery over 8 hours = ~2.4% hour. This is less that a quarter of the ~10%/h battery consumption during idle when the phone is on the 3G network (2 bars & WiFi off).

It seems like if you want longer battery life, you better stay away from 3G before HTC/Google issues an update to fix this.

Edited by dogei22

Guest Mi|enko
Did the same tests with 2G enabled, the difference is huge!

I put the N1 phone idling on 2G (with WiFi off) over night in the exact same spot and it drained about <20% of the battery over 8 hours = ~2.4% hour. This is less that a quarter of the ~10%/h battery consumption during idle when the phone is on the 3G network (2 bars & WiFi off).

It seems like if you want longer battery life, you better stay away from 3G before HTC/Google issues an update to fix this.

What if you do the "fix" to enable 3G only and disable 2g completely, so it's not flapping?

Guest dogei22

Good point! I'll try tonite.

Already dialed *#*#4636#*#* => Phone information => Select WCDMA Only and the 3G connection seems to be much more stable now as I now have a "0% time without signal" reading in the Battery usage stats.

On the other hand, I constantly get less throughput compared to my HTC Hero. Did comparisons in 3 different locations in the city using mobilespeedtest.com and I constantly get on average about 30-50% less downlink speed on the Nexus One. Also, the N1 DL speed fluctuates much more while the Hero seems to get more constant DL speeds from test to test.

Well, I guess it is old news that the N1 currently has 3G connection issues...

Guest dogei22

Ok, 3G exclusive mode tested with very good results.

Same spot, idle over night, Wifi turned off, "3G Only" mode (see post above), battery drain was only 1.7% / hour!

This has a huge impact on the N1 battery life, of course it is completely dependent on the cellular network conditions so I can't say this is the case everywhere.

Guest Chris Jenx
Do you have wifi at home? If you turn wifi on, does the battery usage decrease (since the phone won't need to initiated a 3G connection)?

Was looking at the battery usage on the phone and the Radio(2G 3G) on the phone, seems to drain the battery life the most. 50+% is allways used by the phone just trying to maintain signal.. Theres me thinking that Snap Dragon would kill the battery. but seems I was wrong lol.

Hoping the Radio update will resolve the issue. I am surprised Google haven't been quicker off the ball here. They may be trying to pack new features into the update but I would rather they just fixed the Radio issues then sent out another update later.

apart from that most of the time its pretty solid. I maintain better signal more of the time than my Hero.

Guest Master_Ne0

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but the bug(s) is affecting WDCMA preferred and GSM only. GSM only does not seem to stay on 3G. I have been net monitoring and even with 2G only selected the nexus one still wandered over to 3G channels for calls and sms.

edit: Whats the news with the radio update? Is it avaible yet?

Edited by Master_Ne0