Do rooted phones receives OTA?

Guest cezent

In general, do rooted phones get OTA updates in same way as the stock phone? and it if does, will be root access be changed once its been updated?

And also, I m just wondering if its easy to unroot/disable the root access for Nexus One? just in case the phone needs to be send back for warranty...

Guest Mantisen
In general, do rooted phones get OTA updates in same way as the stock phone? and it if does, will be root access be changed once its been updated?

And also, I m just wondering if its easy to unroot/disable the root access for Nexus One? just in case the phone needs to be send back for warranty...

Well Im not sure about the unrooting, should be a simple procedure to do (there's a thread on it over at xda-developers afaik). But, here's the quirk, it's unlocking the bootloader that voids the warranty and this far no one has managed to relock an unlocked bootloader (again there's a thread over at xda-dev covering the efforts of relocking the bootloader).

Dunno if this helped, but anyways I think having a rooted phone doesn't prevent OTA's anyhow :)

Well Im not sure about the unrooting, should be a simple procedure to do (there's a thread on it over at xda-developers afaik). But, here's the quirk, it's unlocking the bootloader that voids the warranty and this far no one has managed to relock an unlocked bootloader (again there's a thread over at xda-dev covering the efforts of relocking the bootloader).

Dunno if this helped, but anyways I think having a rooted phone doesn't prevent OTA's anyhow :)

thanx for the info. However I do seem to remember with HTC Hero, the bootloader get automatically relock after applying the ROM update from HTC directly, and need to unlock again (do correct me if I m wrong).

Anyway, I m pretty sure will get my phone rooted at some stage. After i done playing with the stock ROM enough.

Edited by cezent