Nexus One connect to Ad hoc wifi?

Guest Roy Roy

Guest android_lovah
Doesn't work for me with original ROM (rooted)

did you at least manage to find the file, edit it the way i mentioned, and then save it with the additional information?

Guest TochOne
did you at least manage to find the file, edit it the way i mentioned, and then save it with the additional information?

Yes. I've edited that file (using "Root Explorer"s built in text editor) & saved with mentioned changes & restarted the device. the file is still there with changes but Nexus One can't find my ad-hoc wifi. :(

Guest xkonni
Yes. I've edited that file (using "Root Explorer"s built in text editor) & saved with mentioned changes & restarted the device. the file is still there with changes but Nexus One can't find my ad-hoc wifi. :(

well that only helps you to connect to the network. if you can not see it, try entering the ssid manually.

Guest TochOne
well that only helps you to connect to the network. if you can not see it, try entering the ssid manually.

The thread says I've to add SSID manually before making changes. (and I did so without any result)

If I enter SSID in the wifi settings after changing the file, android will create a new file and will undo my changes.

Guest DistortedLoop
wow! i finally made it work!!! :(

DistortedLoop, you will have first to go to WiFi Settings and via Add Wi-Fi network add the Ad-hoc WiFi network's information (DDIS, encryption, password).

I, then, disabled WiFi (dunno if it's necessary) but was thinking that I'll be writing into a WiFi config file, so the service should be off.

then, since there is no file editor on Android (some1 please prove me wrong here because vi is really a stone age tool), you go and edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file via the vi command's functionalities:

- trackball works, so that way you can point your cursor

- "i" for inserting text (I've added "ap_scan=2" in the 1st line, and then "mode=1" in a new line below the password line)

- trackball + "1" = ESC

- then press ":" to put you to the end of the file

- then enter "wq" to save the edited text.

It works fine. I even disconnected and reconnected again - all works like a charm.

Thanks for the info! :(

PS: did this since I've changed from CyanogeneMod's ROMs to MoDaCo's ROM, where none of them has this built in.

Can you post a copy of your file's text (xxx out any personal info if needed)?

Guest android_lovah
Can you post a copy of your file's text (xxx out any personal info if needed)?

here you go:

ctrl_interface=eth0

update_config=1

network={

ssid="zzapp1"

key_mgmt=NONE

auth_alg=OPEN SHARED

wep_key0="xxx"

priority=4

mode=1

disabled=1

}

// this is the wpa_supplicant.conf from the Cyanogen Mod 5.0.4.1 where ad-hoc wifi connections work by default //

• 1 month later...
Guest TochOne
Adding your ad-hoc SSID in Settings->Wireless & Network, then do the following modification in data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf:

1)Add

ap_scan=2

at the beginning.

2)Locate the "network" section corresponded to your ad-hoc network, add "mode=1" in that section.

3)If the previous two steps don't solve the problem, try adjust the priority of the ad-hoc network to the highest: make sure "priority=1" in its network section, and modify other sections' priorities sequentially.

It works for me!

it works for me too! finally got it work on cyanogenmod 5 rom.

Edited by TochOne

Guest Master_Ne0

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think vi is standard on the stock ROM, i certainly cant execute vi.

Anyway, i wanted to know if anyone has managed to get this to work on the stock ROM? I have tried all the above, editing the file and rebooting and the only difference being broken wifi. I had to remove the file, lose all my saved networks, to get it working again. Rather annoying and i don't understand why, but my backup of the original doesn't even work.

I'm thinking the MODs in CM have made the difference, rather then just editing the file, can anyone confirm this?

Ne0

Guest TochOne
Please correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think vi is standard on the stock ROM, i certainly cant execute vi.

Anyway, i wanted to know if anyone has managed to get this to work on the stock ROM? I have tried all the above, editing the file and rebooting and the only difference being broken wifi. I had to remove the file, lose all my saved networks, to get it working again. Rather annoying and i don't understand why, but my backup of the original doesn't even work.

I'm thinking the MODs in CM have made the difference, rather then just editing the file, can anyone confirm this?

Ne0

you can use root explorer instead of vi. simpler and friendlier.

i tried it on stock rom and i confurm that it doesn't work. but there must be a way getting it work.

Guest Master_Ne0
you can use root explorer instead of vi. simpler and friendlier.

i tried it on stock rom and i confurm that it doesn't work. but there must be a way getting it work.

Thanks, i did use root explorer in the end, though I'm not convinced vi is there on stock, but i could be missing something! ;)

There must be a way, but I'm just going to flash CM when I need to use it, as I only need it for lab testing packet sizes using a network protocol analyser. What we could do with is someone who worked on the mods in CM to lend a hand, saves reinventing the wheel!

Ne0

Guest Master_Ne0
Has anyone managed to get an adhoc network connected with the Desire ROM? I have tried the instructions above with no luck

I think the Desire ROM is an MCR port, no one has confirmed that this works on the MCR so it may not be enabled in the Desire ROM, just like its not in the stock. I haven't used the original MCR or the Desire version so i cant say for sure, but i'm sure Paul will be able to tell us if he has time to read this post.

Ne0

Guest weissleim
Has anyone managed to get an adhoc network connected with the Desire ROM? I have tried the instructions above with no luck

adhoc connection in Desire ROM (a21) is working

This may work on other MCR ports as well

Here is my wpa_supplicant

update_config=1

ctrl_interface=eth0

eapol_version=1

ap_scan=2

fast_reauth=1

network={

ssid="Your SSID"

mode=1

scan_ssid=1

key_mgmt=NONE

auth_alg=OPEN SHARED

wep_key0="Your KEY"

}

Try the following instructions:

1. Connect your device through USB

2. adb reboot

3. adb push wpa_supplicant.conf /data/misc/wifi/

4. Disable wifi connection in your computer

5. Enable wifi connection in your computer

6. Delete all adhoc connections in your computer

7. Create adhoc connection in your computer

8. Use the Wifi switch widget in Desire ROM to enable wifi in your device

Two strange things to note:

1. Push wpa_supplicant.conf to /data/misc/wifi/ using adb every time your reboot the device (copy & paste does not work)

2. Do not enter "Settings->Wireless & networks->Wi-Fi settings" when enabling wifi in your device

Guest Master_Ne0
Try the following instructions:

1. Connect your device through USB

2. adb reboot

3. adb push wpa_supplicant.conf /data/misc/wifi/

Two strange things to note:

1. Push wpa_supplicant.conf to /data/misc/wifi/ using adb every time your reboot the device (copy & paste does not work)

2. Do not enter "Settings->Wireless & networks->Wi-Fi settings" when enabling wifi in your device

I advise NOT to push via adb, as doing this can cause the strange side affects ( in my experience ). Edit files using root explorer or vi, as noted in previous posts and the side effects may be avoided.

Thanks for the conformation weissleim.

Ne0

Guest Jas0r

Fantastic, gave it a go and works. I use and access poiont at home and adhoc at work to use my work internet. I have made 2 wpa_supplicant.conf files now, an adhoc and an AP one so to connect to wifi just need to do the following:

Turn off wifi

Reboot

Open root explorer and move the adhoc wpa_supplicant.conf file into the right spot

Start Wifi through widget

Then to go back to access point

Turn off wifi

Open root explorer and move the AP conf file into the right spot

Start Wifi

Its a little bit of a long process, if anyone has a shortcut for this method I would be interested.

Guest Master_Ne0
Fantastic, gave it a go and works. I use and access poiont at home and adhoc at work to use my work internet. I have made 2 wpa_supplicant.conf files now, an adhoc and an AP one so to connect to wifi just need to do the following:

Turn off wifi

Reboot

Open root explorer and move the adhoc wpa_supplicant.conf file into the right spot

Turn off wifi

Start Wifi

Its a little bit of a long process, if anyone has a shortcut for this method I would be interested.

Just out of interest what ROM are you using? When i was using CM, i only needed one wpa_supplicant.conf to connect to the an AP or ad-hoc network. I added both networks by scanning for them, then using root explorer made the changes described above to the ad-hoc network, rebooted and that was it. You can have as many networks as you want in the wpa_supplicant.conf.

Ne0

Guest weissleim
Just out of interest what ROM are you using? When i was using CM, i only needed one wpa_supplicant.conf to connect to the an AP or ad-hoc network. I added both networks by scanning for them, then using root explorer made the changes described above to the ad-hoc network, rebooted and that was it. You can have as many networks as you want in the wpa_supplicant.conf.

Ne0

When I was using CM, N1 can scan and connect to adhoc network (WEP ASCII only) directly

No reboot is required. No additional modification of wpa_supplicant.conf is required

It worked like connecting to an AP

Guest Jas0r

Im on Modaco Desire R21. I first tried just adding the required detail to my conf with all my access points still in there but it never connected. I cleaned out the conf with only the details in the prev post rebooted and it worked. I will keep trying other methods to see if I can tweak it to work without a reboot but so far that seems to be the only way I can get it to connect.

Guest TochOne

Turn off wifi

Reboot

Turn off wifi

Start Wifi

i can connect to both (ap & ad-hoc) using one wpa_supplicant.conf. (i use only new .conf file & in can connect to ad-hoc & ap)

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...