If you break your omnia, do you get an omnia 2?

Guest level140

Guest JONBOMBO

The hope of Rooting the Eris is looking more and more like its not gonna happen. Devs are starting to jump ship.

After having the Eris, I really want a Droid now. Mostly because its Rooted. The Eris will be going to Android 2.1 which will be nice, but to be honest, the device is spectacular as is. Love the marketplace, it really is a very wonderful tool with pretty much anything and everything at your beckoning call. Lost of VERY useful stuff and lots of crap.

The main reason I want Root is for the ability to tinker, but I dont have any real NEED to tinker like with the Omnia. If there weren't custom ROMS and flashing with the Omnia, the thing would be garbage IMO

Guest DxTania

to everyone who successfully got a new phone, over what period of time did you complete this?

I've replaced my omnia about 3 times

but this was over 90 days ago, and doesn't it have to not work like 4 times in 90 days or something for them to even think of replacing your phone?

If not, if I were to brick my phone with cf03, could I send it in even if my phone is really scratched up from drops and such?

I really want an o2 or eris :(

Guest rcicu
to everyone who successfully got a new phone, over what period of time did you complete this?

I've replaced my omnia about 3 times

but this was over 90 days ago, and doesn't it have to not work like 4 times in 90 days or something for them to even think of replacing your phone?

If not, if I were to brick my phone with cf03, could I send it in even if my phone is really scratched up from drops and such?

I really want an o2 or eris :(

I'm not sure of the time frame but as long as the scratches look like normal wear and tear it should be fine.

Mine is going in for replacement tomorrow :(

Guest arizonaomnia

Is this assuming that we pay the insurance copay or does this use another method? Why would they replace the phone if it is outside of the 30 day initial period or the phone limited warranty period?

Guest JONBOMBO

If you read my long winded replies...which i wouldn't expect you to, you would have read that I have not used insurance once and paid not a single cent.

I called Tech cause i had problems with my phone, so they sent me another one...so on and so forth.

No money spent and a smile on my face.

ANDROID friggen rocks!!!!!!

Guest dtread

I actually just got off the phone with tech support. I have had two phones already replaced via the warranty. Both times the phones touch screen would become unrsponsive on the right side and when I did a hard reset the alignment screen wouldnt go away. I literally did it 30 times or so to no effect. Called tech support today, they offered to replace phone. I then asked if it was a recertified omnia she said yes because samsung only replaced the shell of the phone so it had to be the same kind. I was forceful with her and complained about how this was going to be my 3rd phone etc, she stated they simply cannot exchange it for another phone. Now, im happy with the omnia when it works, but after two phones within a year you would think they would do something better. Especially because they have the second verson of the phone out there mainstream. I was not try to "cheat the system" ive legitimately had problems with my phone, but I see some of these guys broke their phone on purpose and recieved better phones, i suppose the good guy never wins...

I havent actually recieved my phone yet, maybe it will be a surprise but i highly doubt it.

Dtread

Guest jbr05ki

I've had screen issues with 2 of my phones. I'm currently on the 3rd one. For some reason the screen would go black but all the sounds and phone calls would come in. I asked if I can get another model since I've had many issues with the phone. They offered me a Blackberry Storm (first one) or a Touch Pro (first one). Those were considered downgrades to me. I declined those models and they went ahead and shipped me another Omnia. I went home and fixed the phone somehow haha.

I felt kinda guilty doing that to the Omnia. It's a great phone. I've decided to keep it til I get my next upgrade. It's only right. One more year with this baby!

I actually just got off the phone with tech support. I have had two phones already replaced via the warranty. Both times the phones touch screen would become unrsponsive on the right side and when I did a hard reset the alignment screen wouldnt go away. I literally did it 30 times or so to no effect. Called tech support today, they offered to replace phone. I then asked if it was a recertified omnia she said yes because samsung only replaced the shell of the phone so it had to be the same kind. I was forceful with her and complained about how this was going to be my 3rd phone etc, she stated they simply cannot exchange it for another phone. Now, im happy with the omnia when it works, but after two phones within a year you would think they would do something better. Especially because they have the second verson of the phone out there mainstream. I was not try to "cheat the system" ive legitimately had problems with my phone, but I see some of these guys broke their phone on purpose and recieved better phones, i suppose the good guy never wins...

I havent actually recieved my phone yet, maybe it will be a surprise but i highly doubt it.

Dtread

Guest kdkinc
The way the tech rep handled me I thought was fair and to tell the truth I liked the O2.

I only have a 200 minute plan plus the required date deal, that's all i need. If I was paying for more minutes he could have received the "OK"from his superior for the Eris

I hate the Samsung beach ball and the stupid widgets but that now can be "fixed" thanks to new rom's

Next fall i really plan to go to the "robot" and be asimulated :(

:( :(

Well I've had my O2 for a few days and its like night and day compared to the i910. :( :(

Its a shame how those i910's get frozen :( :(

I'll be more than happy with the i920 till this fall when I can change out maybe to a " robot" phone.

We may have some "cooken" action happening soon in i920 world.

:( :(

Guest paranoidx

okay guys..

So I received my 3rd Omnia just a few days ago. My first having died just a few days after i bought it (11 months ago) and my second dying while trying to do the CF03 verizon update.

So I'm trying to install a custom rom using the umdl. Everything seems to be going fine and the umdl says the job is done and it's relaunching my phone. My phone shuts off and it never turns back on. I've taken off and put back on the battery, done a soft reset, and nothing. The phone will no longer turn on.

Now my question is, if I take it to a verizon store will they be able to tell that i was trying to load a cooked rom on it? Would they then, after sending me a new phone, charge me for this phone?

What do you guys recommend doing at this point?

Guest Enraged Ninja

Instead of asking everyone on a forum that doesnt work for verizon, i called up tech support and got it from the horses mouth - in this case a tech support rep.

They wont, at all, replace your model phone with another.

They USED to have a policy after so many swaps they would look over a sheet that had models that were possible to swap out with.

This is no more.

kindve sucks because im getting sick of my phone / car charger not working together... physically sick. Over heats, dies...

Guest dtread

Dtread

Ok, so now there is a second part of this story. After receiving my raplacement phone, i started to activate it and after turning it on i noticed a small purple circle on the screen the size of a pencil eraser. This pretty much ticked me off sense it was right out of the box. I called customer service back pretty upset with them. After she said that she would send me out another phone i started pleading my case. Finally the rep. said she would look up the replacement for the omnia and see if they had any in stock. The replacment in the system was the HT Touch Pro, which showed 0 in stock. So, after hearing that, it made me even more upset that they were going to send me a replacement phone that was no longer being sold and wasnt even in stock. So she said she could look and see what was next on the list. She then sent me a Omnia 2 (sch i920). I am now enjoying it. It is a nice phone with more features and a much better screen.

Just my .02

Guest robertjm

Busted the screen on my Omnia i910 a little over a week ago and was wondering the same thing. Sure enough, when Asurion sent me a replacement it was an Omnia, NOT and Omnia 2.

A good gauge is whether they have your model still available on their website, which the Omnia (1) is. When I broke my i700 a few years ago I was very happy to see an i730 show up instead.

Robert

Edited by robertjm

Guest robertjm

Rcicu,

How could you tell it was a refurb vs. a new model?

Robert

well the camera died in the last referb they sent me and this time I received a "New" not a referb phone.....

Guest renee613
Rcicu,

Robert

normally when they send a refurb all u get is the handset: no charger, no battery, no back cover, no stylus. and u have to mail ur handset back to them

Guest dtread
lol you guys are dispicable <_< cheers and gl

Whys that? I didnt do anything wrong like some of these guys here. I didnt "break" my phone, it was broken from the warehouse. I didnt use any scam I only stated my case to the rep that I spoke with. I think 4 phones is enough. If they cant replace it with a decent working model in 4 chances, then they should send you another phone. It was just my situation that they didnt have the "stated replacement" in stock, so I was lucky enough to get the upgraded model of the phone I have. I think its the least they could do for all the trouble ive been through with the omnia 1 and their tech support. On top of that, they couldnt even get that order right, when it came it was only the shell... no battery, no cover, no charger no thing... just the shell. Well, nothing with the omnia 1 would fit it so I called back one more time. They then sent me out the accessory kit (battery, cover, charger).

Guest robertjm

Think he was being a bit in jest there. But, I have to admit seeing posts on how to brick their phone on purpose did cause me to pause a bit.

Whys that? I didnt do anything wrong like some of these guys here. I didnt "break" my phone, it was broken from the warehouse. I didnt use any scam I only stated my case to the rep that I spoke with. I think 4 phones is enough. If they cant replace it with a decent working model in 4 chances, then they should send you another phone. It was just my situation that they didnt have the "stated replacement" in stock, so I was lucky enough to get the upgraded model of the phone I have. I think its the least they could do for all the trouble ive been through with the omnia 1 and their tech support. On top of that, they couldnt even get that order right, when it came it was only the shell... no battery, no cover, no charger no thing... just the shell. Well, nothing with the omnia 1 would fit it so I called back one more time. They then sent me out the accessory kit (battery, cover, charger).

Guest rcicu
Rcicu,

Robert

The refurbs stated that they were refurbs and was missing the back and battery. the latest one did not state that it was a refurb and came with the battery and back door.

Guest robertjm

Was it mounted to a piece of cardboard by a plastic overwrap too? Sounds like I got a new one too then. I had just always assumed things were refurbed.

Robert

The refurbs stated that they were refurbs and was missing the back and battery. the latest one did not state that it was a refurb and came with the battery and back door.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Abqcub

Just a tip for anyone still trying this; I pulled the cord while updating to CF03 at 99% and it still booted up and worked, except it couldn't connect to the network, so it seems it didn't finish writing the phone portion. I took it to verizon, told em I did a hard reset twice, the guy said "thats what i'd do" and said they'd send a refurb in two days. In the mean time I have my old flip phone which ironically I like using way more than the omnia. I can text without felling like I wanna throw it across the room, which I did, which may have caused some screen issues and made me decide to sabotage it. I'm hoping with the Nexus one coming out sometime soon that they'll want to push the Droid or the Eris out to make more room for the N1. Then hopefully in a year when Verizon gets their 4g network up I can do a legit upgrade to a 4g phone. On an interesting side note, the don't actually stock the i910 in any of the stores in my city. The guy at verizon searched their system to see if he could just get me one in store, and nothing, so he had to order it and send it to my apartment. I don't know if they are out of refurbs or just stopped carrying the omnia all together.

*Update*

Refurb #1 is dead, waiting for refurb #2

Edited by Abqcub

Guest robertjm

I talked with someone at VZW's El Cerrito store and they have pulled all the i910 from stores, though they're still available on their website at the low low price of FREE!!!!

Yup, the phone that cost us early adopters $249 are now going for free 17 months later. Amazing!!

Have to wonder if they're trying to push them all out so they can make room for the HTC Intense and/or Nexus One? What's funny is they still have the Blackberry Storm (orig. model) available on their website, along with the Storm 2. Why anyone would not spend the extra $50 to get the newer model is beyond me.

Robert

Edited by robertjm

Guest kdkinc
Instead of asking everyone on a forum that doesnt work for verizon, i called up tech support and got it from the horses mouth - in this case a tech support rep.

They wont, at all, replace your model phone with another.

They USED to have a policy after so many swaps they would look over a sheet that had models that were possible to swap out with.

This is no more.

kindve sucks because im getting sick of my phone / car charger not working together... physically sick. Over heats, dies...

Hummm??? :(

I went from a i910 to 1910 to a i910 TO A OMNIA i920 very recently.

The first two i910 had screen issues and the third one froze up SOD :P

I really like my O2 :( B)

;) :o

Edited by kdkinc

Guest Abqcub
Hummm??? :(

I went from a i910 to 1910 to a i910 TO A OMNIA i920 very recently.

The first two i910 had screen issues and the third one froze up SOD :P

I really like my O2 :( B)

;) :o

Yeah, I just talked to the verizon guys today and they said if the next refurb causes me problems he could talk to his manager and see what he could do about a new phone or maybe a discount on an early upgrade

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Abqcub

So just an update for you guys and good news for me. After replacing my omnia 3 times and trying to send me a 4th I called customer service, got a little angry and now there sending me a Droid.

Just to clarify some things though; Verizon has stopped their policy of replacing a phone model after so many replacements. The helpful lady at the store was telling me all about it and how its really become a bigger problem for the employees because they can't help their customers anymore.

So basically when I was at the store they just sent me another refurb (4th one), and like I mentioned before I called customer service (with the encouragement of a vzw employee), and complained saying how bad the refurbs were, and that I've been with them 6 years, and i might think of moving over to at&t. I guess those were the key phrases because she first offered me a refurb of another model, I said I didn't want to pay because I payed so much for the omnia, then she just asked what model I'm interested in, I said the Droid Eris thinking it was a cheaper phone and easier to get, I think she misheard and just said my Droid would be here in a few days and she waived the fee. Oh and it is a refurb Droid but its got a 90 day warranty from motorola so I'm not too worried.

So see ya later winmo, I finally got my android phone