Power-Off Software

Guest adzman808

Guest adzman808

Hi Guys,

i've been looking at adding a soft power off button & (as you do) i've been looking at xda to download something

i've found one i like... a very natty looking, skinable UI by a chap Called Dave Shaw (attached)

trouble is although the sleep / restart buttons work great, the shut down button doesn't work !!!

i had a look in the registry, but i can't see an easy fix....

anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Adam

xdaShutdown_1.01___WVGA.cab

Edited by adzman808

Guest kevinpwhite

Adam,

There is an app in the \windows directory called gwes.exe

If you create a shortcut to this and place on the desktop then you can Shutdown with one press. Alternatively if running Mobile Shell, place the initial shortcut in ..\windows\Start Menu folder then you will be able to create a secondary one in Mobile Shell to complement the built-in Widget for Soft Reset.

If David Shaw can create a modified version of his app with that as the target file from his Shutdown button, the XDAShutdown should work absoluetly fine on the TG01. I thin is simply that on HTC devices there is a differently named .exe doing the same job.

Out of interest, SBSH iLauncher has these functions built in to its 'task manager' including a proper 'close' button in place of the usual winmo version which simply minimises. That works OK on both old Pocket PC devices and the TG01 so I suspect can access a lower code level rather than targetting specific .exe files like this.

>> EDIT: This does work - but apparently only some of the time. Evidently needs a bit more refinement to be 100%, but is clearly in the right direction. I have also mailed the original developer of iLauncher to ask if he can clarify what 'hooks' he used into the operating system. <<

Regards,

Kevin

Edited by kevinpwhite

Guest adzman808

Hi Kevin,

cheers - i tried it, but tbh i'm sure if its shutting down or crashing as it doesn't shut down as such, its like just taking the battery out!!

in the registry there's this... what do you reckon, shortcut reading something like = gwes.exe -withaswitch (see below)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Toshiba\PowerOff]

"ShutDownScreenDLL"="ScreenAnimation.dll"

"LowBatter Command Line"="Toshiba-PowerOff-LowBatter"

"Normal Command Line"="Toshiba-PowerOff-Normal"

"Process Name"="\\Windows\\PowerOffHint.exe"

"Enable PowerOff"=dword:00000001

cheers

Adam

Guest kevinpwhite
Hi Kevin,

cheers - i tried it, but tbh i'm sure if its shutting down or crashing as it doesn't shut down as such, its like just taking the battery out!!

Adam,

I think I have now solved properly. It is the files we were looking at (power-off hint.exe and gwes.exe), but it requires a shortcut to the first with the other specified as an argument. That works, but leaves an ugly icon; I have used SK Shortcut Mgr to reassign the gwes.exe icon so now seems to be OK.

Can you check the attached shortcut and see if it works OK for you please ? If you place the shortcut in \windows\startup\ and then access from eg SPB MS it should display correctly with the red circle and white cross symbol.

Action is identical to the sequence when you press the physical power button to shutdown (including the unwanted activation of the SPB MS dialogue box).

Regards,

Kevin

Power_Off.zip

Edited by kevinpwhite

Guest adzman808
Adam,

I think I have now solved properly. It is the files we were looking at (power-off hint.exe and gwes.exe), but it requires a shortcut to the first with the other specified as an argument. That works, but leaves an ugly icon; I have used SK Shortcut Mgr to reassign the gwes.exe icon so now seems to be OK.

Can you check the attached shortcut and see if it works OK for you please ? If you place the shortcut in \windows\startup\ and then access from eg SPB MS it should display correctly with the red circle and white cross symbol.

Action is identical to the sequence when you press the physical power button to shutdown (including the unwanted activation of the SPB MS dialogue box).

Regards,

Kevin

cheers Kevin

thats brilliant & it works great.

i had to put it in \win\strt menu\progs to dispaly where i wanted, but the icon display is exactly as you described & fits in well with the other icons...

obviously i was curious how you managed this, so i had a look at your shortcut

can i ask (what's probably) a (stupid) question?

in your shortcut

61#\Windows\PowerOffHint.exe gwes.exe?\Storage Card\gwes.exe,-16

why does it need the

"Storage Card\gwes.exe,-16"

storage card part?

cheers & thanks again that's great

Adam

Guest kevinpwhite
cheers Kevin

thats brilliant & it works great.

i had to put it in \win\strt menu\progs to dispaly where i wanted, but the icon display is exactly as you described & fits in well with the other icons...

obviously i was curious how you managed this, so i had a look at your shortcut

can i ask (what's probably) a (stupid) question?

in your shortcut

61#\Windows\PowerOffHint.exe gwes.exe?\Storage Card\gwes.exe,-16

why does it need the

"Storage Card\gwes.exe,-16"

storage card part?

cheers & thanks again that's great

Adam

Adam,

Good question - not daft at all ;) I just experimented last night and hit on the idea that one app was 'calling' the other, so I tried initially editing the existing shortcut I had to PowerOffHint.exe by adding gwes.exe as an argument. And it worked !

The next step was to use SK Shortcut Manager to re-assign the icon from gwes.exe in the ..\windows\ directory to the shortcut in place of the native one like three kiddies wooden bricks.

Just now I'm not quite certain why it is showing Storage Card as a path, but the \gwes.exe,-16 bit is telling it the correct Icon to incorporate - I need to have another closer look and check. Might need to tweak the shortcut again, but I'm pleased to have found a 'proper' solution.

Best regards,

Kevin

Guest adzman808

well on the 1 hand if aint broke...

but i just tried deleting the

storagecard\

part of the shortcut and it still works ;)

thanks again - very happy with that

PS whats the 61# for?

cheers

adam

Guest kevinpwhite
PS whats the 61# for?

I think that every Shortcut on the device has a unique ID and that is where the 61# comes in. Both that and the additonal string containing the replacement Icon source were instered automatically by SK Shortcut Mgr. Somewhere I used to have a tutorial on the finer points of Shortcut syntax - if I can find it again I'll post it for reference.

Regards,

Kevin

Guest adzman808

ah i see...

i don't run SK or anything - i just use a combo of blind luck, mis-placed faith in my own abilities & the excellent advice i get from this forum !!

i'd be interested to read the short-cut syntax stuff...

thanks yet again ;)

Guest kevinpwhite
ah i see...

i don't run SK or anything - i just use a combo of blind luck, mis-placed faith in my own abilities & the excellent advice i get from this forum !!

i'd be interested to read the short-cut syntax stuff...

thanks yet again ;)

Adam,

I've unearthed the references I was thinking of - it's back into the mists of PPC2002 ! Still in place on the Microsoft pages - all sorts of stuff which is still relevant... the second article shows examples of similar strings to that we've been playing with, including the ID# at the beginning.

Creating Shortcutt to Your Apps and Files

Creating Shortcuts to Feature Settings

I've also attached a file with a whole stack of shortcuts included which can be used as the basis for adaptaion - including various Control Panel applets. Not sure how these will work under WinMo 6.5 compared to ealier OSs, but maybe worth a look.

Regards,

Kevin

LinksToSystemAndMyCPLs.zip

Edited by kevinpwhite

Guest kevinpwhite

Just a small piece of additional information around this area.... it appears that the gwes.exe application is a system processe whic controls the device's touch screen / hardware interface. This accounts for the sudden 'stop' effect rather than controlled closedown when experimenting to figure how to replicate the hardware Power button effect with a software button...

Regards,

Kevin

• 1 year later...
Guest bsnguy

Thanks for all the hints, here... if you simply want to shutdown the phone, with no prompts, make a link like this:

52#\Windows\PowerOffHint.exe Toshiba-PowerOff-LowBatter

When you run that link, it just shuts down. What I wanted!

Thanks, all

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mstealth
Thanks for all the hints, here... if you simply want to shutdown the phone, with no prompts, make a link like this:

52#\Windows\PowerOffHint.exe Toshiba-PowerOff-LowBatter

When you run that link, it just shuts down. What I wanted!

Thanks, all

Thanks for this valuable hint.