CPU Speed?

Guest bsnguy

Does anyone have any idea how to tell how fast the CPU is running at any given time? We've been told we have a 1 GHz CPU and we have some (minimal) control over it via the power settings, but can we really tell what it's doing? Either a utility like for some other chip sets (I've has some of previous phones that let me set the CPU speed, but they are chip set /CPU specific and none for the Snapdragon that I can find) or even pointers to a programming API I could use in my own program to set/read this data?

Even in "fast" mode under the power settings, I find it dubious that we're really running at 1 GHz.

Guest hamido123

when i go to settings in tcpmp player it says that the cpu clock is just 560mhz even when i am on fast mode....when i tur down to slow mode it says 300mhz

Guest eekthecat
when i go to settings in tcpmp player it says that the cpu clock is just 560mhz even when i am on fast mode....when i tur down to slow mode it says 300mhz

My is same just 560Mhz, is Toshiba lier? i try use some CPU speed programs, but dont run with WM 6.5, someone know a program for check the CPU speed with WM 6.5?

Guest eekthecat
Does anyone have any idea how to tell how fast the CPU is running at any given time? We've been told we have a 1 GHz CPU and we have some (minimal) control over it via the power settings, but can we really tell what it's doing? Either a utility like for some other chip sets (I've has some of previous phones that let me set the CPU speed, but they are chip set /CPU specific and none for the Snapdragon that I can find) or even pointers to a programming API I could use in my own program to set/read this data?

Even in "fast" mode under the power settings, I find it dubious that we're really running at 1 GHz.

I think find the "true" the CPU can change the speed when need ;) like AMD PowerNow!

Comment: The #1 reason we haven't seen a jump in CPU speeds in mobile devices is battery life. One of the pillars of the Snapdragon platform is its ability to manage battery life by changing the CPU clock speed in different scenarios.

I think find the "true" the CPU can change the speed when need ;) like AMD PowerNow!

Comment: The #1 reason we haven't seen a jump in CPU speeds in mobile devices is battery life. One of the pillars of the Snapdragon platform is its ability to manage battery life by changing the CPU clock speed in different scenarios.

I agree and that's why it's important to know how fast it's running. I don't believe any program that reports a CPU speed number, today. The reason is that many of these simply read a registry key or do some form of a benchmark to find it. With the automatic scaling of CPU speeds, both with be inaccurate.

I have a need for 1 GHz speed for a compute-intensive application. I understand this will reduce battery life. I understand it will generate more heat. I just want to be able to at least try to use the CPU that I bought. I understand why the stock systems do what they do. I don't want to change that. I just want a way to a) know, exactly, what the current clock speed is and :D force the CPU to change its speed under my control.

B is only possible with some information Qualcomm refuses to give me (or anyone else for that matter... only licensees of their technology get that information and they refuse to let me license it). A is almost as hard, but I am hoping that someone with insider information could provide the utility to report this (granted, they could also use that information, probably, to allow me to change it, but I can see that this is a different animal in many ways).

Bottom line is that I'm being sold a 1 GHz device so I should be able to verify it can, indeed, run at 1 GHz. If it cannot run that fast, don't advertise it as doing so, please.

Guest hamido123

I found a registry string and i think that my device is running much faster...i did it that way

Hklm/software/toshiba/settings/powermanager/

Cpuclockspeed : default value was 18 I put it up to 28

And that hack

Hklm/software/toshiba/settings/powermanager/orginal

Cpuclockspeed :default value was 3 I put it up to 5

And i got the feeling that my device is much faster....no waiting when someting is loding etc like office...or manila 2.5 ...everything seems to runcfaster

Can someone confirm?....is ther a way to watch current cpu speeed

Guest adzman808

And i got the feeling that my device is much faster....no waiting when someting is loding etc like office...or manila 2.5 ...everything seems to runcfaster

my std value here is 36, was yours def set too '3' ? (the other value you quoted was the same tho)

cheers

Edited by adzman808

I found a registry string and i think that my device is running much faster...i did it that way

Hklm/software/toshiba/settings/powermanager/

Cpuclockspeed : default value was 18 I put it up to 28

And that hack

I played with this and see no difference between 18 and anything higher. I've not done more than a few CPU-intensive operations and saw no difference. It could be that 18 is the max; if you use the power saving settings menus you will find that "max" CPU is 18 and it goes down from there. Not that higher numbers won't work or are no good. Just reporting the news.

Still, it would be nice to know what the CPU clock *really* is as we play these games. Seems there is no way for us mortals to know.

Beware that you maybe `over clocking` your CPU with those setting if you don`t know the value of what they stands for.

I doubt it. First, I've not noticed any increase in speed by increasing the number past 38. Second, this is not a CPU register but a "Toshiba" number so I suspect they do some checking on it to be sure it's "in range." The holy grail is still a way to know,exactly, what the clock speed is really set to at any moment and I've not seen that, yet.