Remove amazon mp3 store or other stock apps (rooted device)

Guest kaotix

This may have been asked before but my search turned up blank.

I have also seen that baked ROMs have the ability to not select the mp3 store but I would like to know if I can simply remove the mp3 store or other stock apps manually from my device?

I realise I could remove the binary files using the terminal but I don't know what adverse effect this could have on my device if I did this.

If anyone could offer any assistance I would appreciate it.

I think you have to delete the apk file from /system/app

After you have done that, connect your phone with your pc and run adb shell.

Then use the command "pm uninstall <program name>" to uninstall from your device.

I hope this is hopeful

regards

DremoX

Perfect.

Exactly what I expected. I just hope my device doesnt explode!

I take it I could do this for any stock app such as google talk/voice?

correct. just do

adb shell ls /system/app

to see their names (i think amazon is like com.amazon.mp3 or something).

but be careful, some things are needed by the system, like voice search. either do backups or you can push them back from an unzipped update ;)

Guest AndyCr15

Would someone be good enough to list some of the other ones we can safely remove? I seem to remember the Hero forum had these. Things like Open Office and what you type to remove them?

I actually did this direct from the Terminal emulator and it worked perfectly. As xkonni stated, it was com.amazon.mp3.apk

I'm not sure how I could test which apps are needed or not needed without causing problems. I will be removing some others though and will tell you which ones removed without problems when I do.

Also as a side note, how would I alter what apps load on startup? If ever I reboot I have to spend a few minutes using a task manager to kill off the apps I dont want running.

I would assume some kind of init.rd script or similar (linux user here)

Guest AndyCr15

I don't find this such an issue on the N1. On my Hero, it would be soooo slow and take ages to start until I could kill the 20+ apps running that I didn't want. On the N1 I don't really notice tbh.

Also, there are quite a lot of task managers that will kill all apps on one press. Be careful with ones that have widgets that show memory etc, as these burn battery.

I don't find this such an issue on the N1. On my Hero, it would be soooo slow and take ages to start until I could kill the 20+ apps running that I didn't want. On the N1 I don't really notice tbh.

Also, there are quite a lot of task managers that will kill all apps on one press. Be careful with ones that have widgets that show memory etc, as these burn battery.

Yes I agree that it doesn't slow my device down but I don't see any reason for them to be running in the background when I'm not using them.

Now that I have double the memory it really is just personal preference but again, there is no reason to have idle processes taking up processing power.

Also, I don't like having apps use data without me explicitly asking them to. I'm using my iPhone tarrif from o2 at the moment so again this doesn't really matter it's just personal preference.

I've seen those task managers which will kill all apps and they are useful but if you could just whitelist the 5 maybe 6 apps I let idle it would be perfect.

ones i removed and don't seem to affect anything

CarDock.apk

CarDock.odex

com.amazon.mp3.apk

GenieWidget.apk [ no weather in clock, but i don't want that anyway ]

googlevoice.apk

Maps.apk

Maps.odex [ installed custom one ]

VoiceDialer.apk

VoiceDialer.odex

Edited by xkonni

Guest AndyCr15
I've seen those task managers which will kill all apps and they are useful but if you could just whitelist the 5 maybe 6 apps I let idle it would be perfect.

Yeah, ES Task Manager does this for free ;) Just don't use the widget on your homescreen. Place a link to the app and then hit kill all (Once you've excluded the ones you want to leave running 24/7)

Yeah, ES Task Manager does this for free ;) Just don't use the widget on your homescreen. Place a link to the app and then hit kill all (Once you've excluded the ones you want to leave running 24/7)

i'm really into home++ and it brings a nice task manager as well :D

Damn I can't remove them using terminal emulator, I need to mount the file system I think but I'm not sure how to do this in the terminal. Any ideas?

If not I'll just wait till I'm home and have my USB cable.

Damn I can't remove them using terminal emulator, I need to mount the file system I think but I'm not sure how to do this in the terminal. Any ideas?

If not I'll just wait till I'm home and have my USB cable.

su

mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtdblock3 /system

remove whatever you want

mount -o remount,ro /dev/mtdblock3 /system

su

remove whatever you want

fantastic. thank you very much ;)

Also to update I've removed the following:

com.amazon.mp3.apk

GoogleGoggles.apk

Email.apk

Email.odex

Facebook.apk

Facebook.odex

VoiceDialer.apk

VoiceDialer.odex

googlevoice.apk

Talk.apk

Talk.odex

YouTube.apk

YouTube.odex

I want to remove 'Voice Search' but I don't know if it's safe and I don't know the actual app name. Any help?

Edited by kaotix

What happened? It just sits there running and I've literally used it once (when I got the phone). I'm not really into having apps running all the time and fancy widgets but I do like a device that's fast and I know what its running.

What happened? It just sits there running and I've literally used it once (when I got the phone). I'm not really into having apps running all the time and fancy widgets but I do like a device that's fast and I know what its running.

i removed it when baking a rom in the kitchen, the setup assistant fc'ed and i could not even setup the phone. not nice ;)

it might work fine when removed later, but i'm not going to try again...

Edited by xkonni

Guest pazatat2
I think you have to delete the apk file from /system/app

After you have done that, connect your phone with your pc and run adb shell.

Then use the command "pm uninstall <program name>" to uninstall from your device.

I hope this is hopeful

regards

DremoX

EDIT: nevermind lol

Edited by pazatat2

correct. just do
adb shell ls /system/app
to see their names (i think amazon is like com.amazon.mp3 or something). but be careful, some things are needed by the system, like voice search. either do backups or you can push them back from an unzipped update ;)
su

remove whatever you want

didn't work for me.... well, it it worked, but it still wouldn't allow me to delete the sprint/htc apps i wanted to get rid of... still, it's interesting to know I can do that....

Guest AndyCr15
fantastic. thank you very much ;)

Also to update I've removed the following:

com.amazon.mp3.apk

GoogleGoggles.apk

Email.apk

Email.odex

Facebook.apk

Facebook.odex

VoiceDialer.apk

VoiceDialer.odex

googlevoice.apk

Talk.apk

Talk.odex

YouTube.apk

YouTube.odex

I want to remove 'Voice Search' but I don't know if it's safe and I don't know the actual app name. Any help?

Wow. You might as well just buy a regular Nokia from 5 years ago... lol

Because i dont use youtube, facebook, voice dial or google talk?

I never used similar things on my iPhone either so I dont see how a boring nokia would help!

I just dont use the stock apps, its as simple as that. I hate it when things are preloaded with no option to remove.

Guest AndyCr15
Because i dont use youtube, facebook, voice dial or google talk?

I never used similar things on my iPhone either so I dont see how a boring nokia would help!

I just dont use the stock apps, its as simple as that. I hate it when things are preloaded with no option to remove.

Okay, calm down, I was only joking. The biggest surprise for me was you take out Google Goggles. Amazing app, I use it to impress people of what the N1 can do.

Sorry if I came off as sounding like I was having a go. I was mearly pointing out that I don't use those apps so I removed them.

I used google goggles once, chuckled to myself and never opened it again. The main things I like showing people are things like Layar and the barcode scanner (lol). One of my friends said I can now pretend I work in a supermarket! *BIP*