AutoKiller minfree manager

Guest RatSon

AutoKiller 2.2.1

This app is designed to help make your phone run mutch smoother by configuring systems internal memory management routines.

It also features a full-powered process manager which lets you control your whole system.

Features:

- process manager

- simple/advanced mode

- presets

- shortcuts to presets

- settings reapply on boot (no init file hacking, i use a service)

- pages/mb views

- statistics

i plan to add a few more features, your feedback is welcome.

device1.pngdevice2.pngdevice3.pngdevice4.pngdevice5.png

reported to work on:

-Nexus One

-Hero

-Spica

-G1

-MyTouch/Magic/G2

-Liquid

-Milestone/Droid

-Behold II

-IE 6010

-I 7500

-LG GW620

-Pulse

-XT800

official homepage has a lot more info.

Thank you for your support, and for your kind donations thus far.

If you like my work, and can afford to donate a couple of dollars to buy me a beer, please use the link below!

paypal_donate.jpg

rs

Edited by RatSon

updates:

1.2:

-faster boot-time setting (no more service)

-stability improvements

-advanced error reporting

1.1:

-stability and speed improvements

-boot setting delayed

-fixed FCs

1.0:

-name changed to AutoKiller, no longer beta

-redesigned ui

-desktop shortcuts to presets (long press on home screen, shortcuts, AutoKiller presets)

-stability and speed improvements

0.9.1b:

-hint on application start (helps first time users)

-default system setting is read at boot, reset or default will reapply boot settings

-typo fix

-statistics on homepage

0.9b:

-overall improvements

-anonymous statistics (only upload right now, display will follow later)

-more settings

0.8.2b:

-code cleanup

-better error handling

0.8.1b:

-new preset

-own icon

0.8b:

initial release

Edited by RatSon

Guest rico2k_uk

sounds like a great idea! Androids own memor management is badly implemented. When you are running Sense, it really struggles when it has under 30mb of free ram. Its good at keeping free memory as low as possible! Since going to vanilla, thats not such an issue anymore. Free memory is always alot higher. If this program keeps a minimum amount free, then it will help!

Good idea! Have installed your app. I'm currently using memtweaks defaults (w/o compcache) in 3.2b5 which works fine. Has anyone tweaked these settings to achieve even better results?

Guest Stevie B

Thanks for the app. I always had to manually enter my values after a reboot with 1536,3072,4096,21000,23000,25000

I find these settings make a HUGE difference to ALL roms i've used - that includes AOSPs and sense based

So a nice simple tool to do a nice simple job

Good idea! Have installed your app. I'm currently using memtweaks defaults (w/o compcache) in 3.2b5 which works fine. Has anyone tweaked these settings to achieve even better results?

my suggestion is to start with one of the presets, and keep lowering values. you shall keep them as low as possible, but some raise is needed. there is no general good level, till speed relies on what programs you have loaded and how you use them.

Guest venturerider

Here's a silly question, but if I'm running with around 30MB of free RAM most of the time, what is the advantage of running with, say, 70MB of free RAM most of the time? I would think that 30MB is *plenty* of free RAM to load up pretty much any application.

Here's a silly question, but if I'm running with around 30MB of free RAM most of the time, what is the advantage of running with, say, 70MB of free RAM most of the time? I would think that 30MB is *plenty* of free RAM to load up pretty much any application.

this is just tuning. after the tweak was introduced everyone was talking about speed improvements whatever ROM or device they had. you shall try yourself.

you shall think about this as a mem cleaner, it will keep internal memory tidy without the need to use any task killer app.

Guest venturerider

Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question. What difference does it make if I have 30MB free or if I have 70MB free? As long as I never hit 0% free, and possibly start swapping, and as long as I have ample wiggle room (ie. 30MB) I would be running at peek performance, non? Also, if I am asking the OS to kill more tasks more often, wouldn't that cause extra overhead and application restarts and slow the phone down?

I'm just curious, is all. Because for me, without any tweaking, my phone always maintains 30MB minimum of free RAM. I just don't see any benefit. Perhaps keeping the process table smaller is a benefit?

Thanks, but that doesn't answer my question. What difference does it make if I have 30MB free or if I have 70MB free? As long as I never hit 0% free, and possibly start swapping, and as long as I have ample wiggle room (ie. 30MB) I would be running at peek performance, non? Also, if I am asking the OS to kill more tasks more often, wouldn't that cause extra overhead and application restarts and slow the phone down?

I'm just curious, is all. Because for me, without any tweaking, my phone always maintains 30MB minimum of free RAM. I just don't see any benefit. Perhaps keeping the process table smaller is a benefit?

you have 30mb because internal killer is set to keep 30mb free. my app lets you increase or lower this limit as you wish. you shall try out what setting suits you best, please come back and help the community with sharing you experiences.

thank you.

@ RatSon

please can you explane me how your app works? I installed it but I am not sure. I undertood how does it work. Thanx so much!

all the details can be found in androcheck's explanation on the XDA thread

if you still have unanswered questions, let me know.

Guest venturerider

You need to reboot after you make the changes. It definitely works. I can make my Hero hover at 70MB free, or 40, or 30. Makes no difference in performance, but there ya go.

Edited by venturerider

@venturerider

Your questions are legitimate. It is a logical tear down of, if it is useful or not. But you have to see the facts, we don´t have a linear reducement by using this app., it is a progressive one. That means that it is actually a difference if you run your memory on 30MB free or on 70MB.

Edited by Phanes

Guest Arthur Hucksake

I am using systray to monitor my Ram and im impressed so far. It closes down stuff that usually gets stuck in the background for ages, like the web browser. Just never seems to close and now it does.

One question though, will this in anyway effect the widgets from updating such as twitter or facebook?

You need to reboot after you make the changes. It definitely works. I can make my Hero hover at 70MB free, or 40, or 30. Makes no difference in performance, but there ya go.

Yep, made changes, rebooted - no difference regardless of which preset I use. I'm using Advance Task Killer to check my free memory.

This application won't give you the amount of free ram you set in any field, this works like if the given memory limit is reached the system cleans up processes of the category you set the limit for. this doesn't mean you will get the desired amount of memory, this just gets rid of unwanted processes in your memory.

actually keeping your free memory always at a desired level would be equal to reducing your available memory. no, this system is much smarter ;)

Guest Arthur Hucksake

I've noticed every now and then a little pop up with the settings flashes up on the screen when you can be doing something such as exiting an app or browsing the web, when not even in the Autokiller app as such.

It's no big deal, but some people might find it annoying.

Seems to have made a difference on my phone so far, I tend to switch around apps a fair amount and most of them you can't close from the menu so this is a godsend to keep the phone snappy.

Guest arunshen

@RatSon

I like it, seems to work well.

May I make a UI suggestion? As we're all running pure touch devices, a UI that's perhaps slider-control based may be more user friendly.

I've attached the Tone Picker UI as an example, easily fits 6 slider on a portrait screen. What do you think?

post-265747-1265911240_thumb.png

Guest descenpet

it would be harder to configure with sliders.. sliders have bad accuracy. if sliders are to be implemented, make it an option, still leave somewhere to type in..