tmobile G2 help

Guest chamby

well i dont know what to do here

got my G2 yesterday ad did a bit of reading in prep for today

tried to do the 1 click root thing and it didnt work

after that i tried to do the goldcard method and that didnt work

went out and bought another sd card and tried to do the goldcard on that and guess what??

it didnt work

what are my options here?

just keep trying diff SD cards untill i get lucky?

or is there anything anyone can advise?

any info you may need just ask and ill provide (sorry im a newb to android lol)

i just wish it was a simple as my Omnia was to get custom roms ;)

well i dont know what to do here

got my G2 yesterday ad did a bit of reading in prep for today

tried to do the 1 click root thing and it didnt work

after that i tried to do the goldcard method and that didnt work

went out and bought another sd card and tried to do the goldcard on that and guess what??

it didnt work

what are my options here?

just keep trying diff SD cards untill i get lucky?

or is there anything anyone can advise?

any info you may need just ask and ill provide (sorry im a newb to android lol)

i just wish it was a simple as my Omnia was to get custom roms ;)

Could you give the number of the ROM? It's proberly 2.73.110.26, did you try this instruction? That works for me!

Edited by loedie

Could you give the number of the ROM? It's proberly 2.73.110.26, did you try this instruction? That works for me!

2.73.110.26 CL#69351 release-keys

is what the phone shows

and i first tried the "Root Your GSM Hero in One Click" method from that site and when that didnt work i did the one that you linked to

and at the end he says if it doesnt work try another card so i went out and bought one and that doesnt work either

everthing works fine up untill

19. Test what we’ve done:

Take out the memory card from the computer, then put it back in.

Try to open the memory card on the computer (Removable Disk), if it lets you, you are all set. If it asks/tells you to reformat the card, then try steps 13 – 19 again. If it gives you the same error again, then try a different memory card (Erlern said it didn’t work for him until he finally went and bought a Kingston 2GB card, then it worked on that card only).

on both memory cards it asks me to format when i put it back in the computer or the phone at this stage (tried both cards about 5 times each)

When goldcarding make sure you reverse the string properly and make sure you replace the first 2 digits with 00. If your sure your doing it right then try goldcarding again but make sure you do the following:

1. Format SDCard on the phone

2. Unmount

3. Remove SDCard

4. Turn of the phone off completely

5. Create the goldcard and copy the update.zip file across to it.

6. Put the SDCard back in your phone (but make sure its still turned off)

7. Turn it back on whilst holding the home and power buttons.

The main thing here is I had the same problem as you and many others, and it appears that with my phone, when I was putting the SDCard back in, the phone was messing with what the goldcard had done, so it needs to be off when you put it back in. If it boots up fully it will badword it up again and you'll have to start all over.

When goldcarding make sure you reverse the string properly and make sure you replace the first 2 digits with 00. If your sure your doing it right then try goldcarding again but make sure you do the following:

1. Format SDCard on the phone

2. Unmount

3. Remove SDCard

4. Turn of the phone off completely

5. Create the goldcard and copy the update.zip file across to it.

6. Put the SDCard back in your phone (but make sure its still turned off)

7. Turn it back on whilst holding the home and power buttons.

The main thing here is I had the same problem as you and many others, and it appears that with my phone, when I was putting the SDCard back in, the phone was messing with what the goldcard had done, so it needs to be off when you put it back in. If it boots up fully it will badword it up again and you'll have to start all over.

ill try again this way (my phone was always on when i put the card back in)

wish me luck ;)

If your doing everything else right that will be the problem. Good luck :D.

just tried to do it as you said but im stuck again

when i try to copy anything on to the SD card after its been thru the hex editor it asks me to format it ;)

just tried to do it as you said but im stuck again

when i try to copy anything on to the SD card after its been thru the hex editor it asks me to format it ;)

Right, when you plug the SDCard into your pc, format it again by right clicking on it on my computer and selecting format etc.

Then gold card it again and copy the update.zip across to it.

Right, when you plug the SDCard into your pc, format it again by right clicking on it on my computer and selecting format etc.

Then gold card it again and copy the update.zip across to it.

done this and still just getting asked to format the sd card when i try to do anything with it after its been thru the hex edior

im possitive im not doing anything wrong (read and re-read the instructions every time)

done this and still just getting asked to format the sd card when i try to do anything with it after its been thru the hex edior

im possitive im not doing anything wrong (read and re-read the instructions every time)

Are you running the Hex editor in Admin mode? (right click on the program icon and selecting "run as administrator"?)

Are you running the Hex editor in Admin mode? (right click on the program icon and selecting "run as administrator"?)

yup i am the admin

Any more ideas?

i want to try everthing i can before resorting to buying another SD card just to try

yup i am the admin

Any more ideas?

i want to try everthing i can before resorting to buying another SD card just to try

Start again, write down exactly what your doing step by step so i can see, don't leave anything out.

Start again, write down exactly what your doing step by step so i can see, don't leave anything out.

to save a lot of time and typing

http://theunlockr.com/2009/10/18/how-to-do...-can-be-rooted/

this is the guide that ive followed and ive followed it to the letter, reading, then reading then reading again before doing each step

ive got a feeling im just the unluckyest guy in the world and managed to get 2 SD cards that dont like being goldcarded ;)

Guest pillock

It sounds like your not hex editing it quite right... the area you're meant to be editing shouldn't affect the file allocation table, so it shouldn't think it's unformatted.

read this but no one seems to have the same problem as me?

unless i missed something?

It sounds like your not hex editing it quite right... the area you're meant to be editing shouldn't affect the file allocation table, so it shouldn't think it's unformatted.

any pointers?

im doing exactly what it says on the tin so i dont get whats wrong

ive used the same program to hex edit a ps3 save game and that worked fine, just cant understand it?

read this but no one seems to have the same problem as me?

unless i missed something?

any pointers?

That thread is mine and I was having exactly the same problem as you had initially.

Try the other SDCard you have again, something isn't right.

Format the SDCard whilst its connected to your PC, put it back in your phone and turn it on, format the SDCard on the phone, take the SDCard out, turn the phone off and try goldcarding it again.

That thread is mine and I was having exactly the same problem as you had initially.

Try the other SDCard you have again, something isn't right.

Format the SDCard whilst its connected to your PC, put it back in your phone and turn it on, format the SDCard on the phone, take the SDCard out, turn the phone off and try goldcarding it again.

ok

well after havng something to eat ive come back with a clear head

ive tried to make a gold card again twice and still got the same probs

nothing seems to work i even tried to do the hex editing while the SD card was still in the phone and it made no difference at all

i still need to format it if i try to put it in the pc

the only thing i can think of is that the hex edititng is messing up (and i dont know what to do about that)

or the SD cards just dont want to be goldcards

any other ideas welcome

ok

well after havng something to eat ive come back with a clear head

ive tried to make a gold card again twice and still got the same probs

nothing seems to work i even tried to do the hex editing while the SD card was still in the phone and it made no difference at all

i still need to format it if i try to put it in the pc

the only thing i can think of is that the hex edititng is messing up (and i dont know what to do about that)

or the SD cards just dont want to be goldcards

any other ideas welcome

Try and work out why its asking you to format it as soon as u plug it into your PC.

Try and work out why its asking you to format it as soon as u plug it into your PC.

i have no idea it only does it after ive put it thru the hex editor so unless im doing that bit wrong (which im sure im not) then i dont know

ive even found the rom.zip from a RUU and changed it to heroimg.zip like you did in the other thread and it runs from the fast boot and gives me an error at the end (cif error or something forgot to write iut down)

im getting lost now as to what to do as im sure ive tried everything

Guest b1ck132

When I had a similar problem, I just choose Physical Disk in HxD editor, instead of Logical, and that solved my problem.

I'm taking you use Logical Disk ("x";), Try using the Physical one instead =)

Good luck.

When I had a similar problem, I just choose Physical Disk in HxD editor, instead of Logical, and that solved my problem.

I'm taking you use Logical Disk ("x";), Try using the Physical one instead =)

Good luck.

OMG!!!!!

after all this i think you solved it lol

just gone thru the gold card routine (almost know it off by heart now lol) clicked the other one and it hasnt asked me to format it!!!

just gotta see if it actually works now

and if it does ill kick myself that it was this simple

OMG!!!!!

after all this i think you solved it lol

just gone thru the gold card routine (almost know it off by heart now lol) clicked the other one and it hasnt asked me to format it!!!

just gotta see if it actually works now

and if it does ill kick myself that it was this simple

Good luck. I somehow missed this thread, but you do need to choose physical IIRC. Hope you get it working ;)

oh dear................

update failed!!!!

now downloading the alternate to try that im crossing all my fingers and toes for it lol

Remember you may need to create the goldcard again using your SDCard if the phone has booted up with the SDCard in it.