Movies on N1

Guest AndyCr15

Guest AndyCr15

I'm wondering, I have Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate to convert video's to a variety of formats. I think the one that actually works so I can play them back on my N1 is actually 'iPhone MPEG4 Video for TV'.

This kicks out an mp4 at 640 x 460. Even with video on 'lowest' (1200 bitrate) it enlarges the file by around 30%, so a 700mb file becomes 930mb.

Does anyone have any tips of how video files can be made compatible but hopefully a little smaller?

Guest Evil Kaz

I've heard good things about Double Twist, an itunes like client that auto converts file to work on the N1. In the past i've used the lightweight Handbrake app to convert my videos for use on phones.

Guest joners
I've heard good things about Double Twist, an itunes like client that auto converts file to work on the N1. In the past i've used the lightweight Handbrake app to convert my videos for use on phones.

Doubletwist does work well for music sync, havent got around to trying the video conversion yet, but i image it should work well.

The rest of the software does!

Guest AndyCr15

Okay, I'm downloading now.

On a related note, if a video is 640 wide, and letterboxed, is there a video playback app that will zoom it, so it at least stretches the full 800 pixels of the N1 screen?

Guest ZeroXtreme

On Windows I use Videora, the profile for the Magic/Sapphire is perfect for the N1, and you can set target filesize without noticable quality loss. On linux I use Handbrake and also set the quality like the Videora profile.

Guest pazatat2

i use avs video converter 6 it allows you to make a cuatom profile.allowing you to change the size and frame per second rate. i could upload it somewhere

Edited by pazatat2

Guest TecKnight
I'm wondering, I have Xilisoft Video Converter Ultimate to convert video's to a variety of formats. I think the one that actually works so I can play them back on my N1 is actually 'iPhone MPEG4 Video for TV'.

This kicks out an mp4 at 640 x 460. Even with video on 'lowest' (1200 bitrate) it enlarges the file by around 30%, so a 700mb file becomes 930mb.

Does anyone have any tips of how video files can be made compatible but hopefully a little smaller?

I use a wonderful freeware program called Format Factory. It is available for download here:

http://www.pcfreetime.com/

It already has the ideal conversion profile builtin, called HTC-Dopod 800x480 MPEG4.

It is fast and has always created great quality mp4 files with no audio sync issues for me.

As an added bonus, Format Factory can pretty much convert any vid format to almost any other format, including DVDs.

It also does not make you register and log into their site just to convert videos like DoubleTwist does.

TecKnight

Guest kwazyivan

I use Badaboom, as it lets me convert at a very fast speed using nvidia cuda to any resolution i want.

Since this phone has a fast processor, i convert all my HD videos to 720p at 3000kb, which plays absolutely smooth in the phone.

720p even at 2000kb looks really darn good, in the phone or the PC.

For Divx's, Xvids's and DVDRips, 480p resolution is fine, and looks really good at 800kb, 750kb or even at 700kb as this will allow your full videos to remain at around 700mb depending on the video lenght of course.

This program can only be used by nVidia graphic cards that support CUDA, or it wont work.

Check out the link bellow:

http://www.badaboomit.com/

PS: if you get this program to convert your videos, ONLY use the ZUNE Codec, as its the best type for this phone, and make sure you check the advance settings for the video quality required.

Dont worry, the video interface is really User Friendly.

Edited by kwazyivan

Guest bazzawhite
I've always had good luck with Handbrake using the format for iPhone/iPod touch.

www.handbrake.fr

I have used handbrake and it works very well. But you should be aware that transcoding videos from an already encoded file causes deterioration in the quality. I suggest you encode directly from DVD.

Guest commodoor

Guys did you hear that Desire is gonna support DIVX? It will come later with a update, and it's also gonna be able to record 720p

Source: http://bit.ly/9SlWZe

Just wondering if this also gonna be available on the nexus OR be ported (i thought they had the same hardware).

Guest kwazyivan
Guys did you hear that Desire is gonna support DIVX? It will come later with a update, and it's also gonna be able to record 720p

Source: http://bit.ly/9SlWZe

Just wondering if this also gonna be available on the nexus OR be ported (i thought they had the same hardware).

Thats darn impressive :(

Guest wXsRoger

you should try 'videora' and when it asks for wich device choose htc hd/hd2(dont know how they got the hd2 option but its there)..

ive tried many formats and this was the best one.....

Guest tralivali
HandBrake is awesome for this.

Encode directly from DVD.

Use the iPhone settings.

That's not good - iPhone has significantly lower resolution

Guest focus1
I use a wonderful freeware program called Format Factory. It is available for download here:

http://www.pcfreetime.com/

It already has the ideal conversion profile builtin, called HTC-Dopod 800x480 MPEG4.

It is fast and has always created great quality mp4 files with no audio sync issues for me.

As an added bonus, Format Factory can pretty much convert any vid format to almost any other format, including DVDs.

It also does not make you register and log into their site just to convert videos like DoubleTwist does.

TecKnight

I have to say Format Factory Does the job well! full 800 X 480 from 700mb to 730mb. Just like the man said HTC-Dopod..profile.

Guest stevenbriggs

Thanks for the suggestion of Doubletwist - I dig it, and it did work with my movies extremely well! Pretty quick, too.

Doubletwist does work well for music sync, havent got around to trying the video conversion yet, but i image it should work well.

The rest of the software does!

Guest Michael Latman

Try doubletwist