Hero paintjob

Guest iammodo

Guest iammodo

****UPDATE*******

Been thinking about making them for people.

front £12.55

back £4.59

Paint £5

labour £5

designs £10

and if you wanted a design I will be using a qualified fine artist. She is painting two cases now so will post them when she is done.

The front case doesn't come with a digitizer so the area around that will look fine.

*****/update*****

I have owned the Hero since it came out on orange in the UK, but I hate the grey colour so I'm making it nicer.

I have 4 backs to the phone so all will be different designs. Also I will be using the black grill cover for call speaker, black volume/menu buttons from the T-mobile G2.

As I think black will suit the blue better.

All paints are car paints from Halfords.

I started on day one with sanding down the phone then applying a primer(base layer)

IMG_2361.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2363.jpg

Day two

I applied the blue colour

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

Day three

Went really well sanded down and put the primer on the other backs.

Applied the lacquer, so will be able to rebuild phone tommorow.

The yellow back is halford glow in the dark paint. I do not recommend playing with this(yes it glows like mad) it is really thin. It took 6 layers just to get what you see in the photo.

IMG_2382-1.jpg

24143_10150121328310468_851440467_1.jpg

Day four rebuilding the phone.

Phone rebuild only had one little hic-up. when I put the black grill on the in call speaker didn't put it right so was very quite. Corrected now.

phone is working fine no dust under the screen. looks well smooth.

things I would change.

I would take the digitizer out fully not just use low tack tape.

put all casing on match sticks to get a smoother look on the corners.

apart from that I'm well impressed with my first try at painting. ( didn't even do art in school)

Lots of photos including the glow in the dark case.

IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2390.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2384.jpg

Any questions post here or tweet me T- iammodo

Edited by iammodo

Guest iammodo
nice

I painted the buttons at the start but with the extra layers ( as i cant sand down the buttons) they don't fit the case which is why I will be using the Black G2 ones.

Guest iammodo
I'd like to see ow this turns out, I've been thinking about giving my hero a makeover

looking well smooth at the moment sunday will be the final test.

Guest paulosman
looking well smooth at the moment sunday will be the final test.

Your a brave, brave man! I've thought about it but was put off by the idea of taking so many components apart and them getting them back together with that 'factory fitted' feel still. How simple was it? No 'snaps' or anything I hope! Also might I ask where you got all the spare backs/buttons from? eBay?

And lolz @ the Vauxhall Arden Blue... my first car was a 2001 Astra in that shade but it was called Prestige Blue back then. Memories <_<

Good luck dude, cant wait to see pics of the final product.

Guest tdohappens

very nice, waiting for the final result

my phone is also grey (i also want to to change it)

btw:

Stainless Steel Precision Beak Tweezer (2-Pack), Precision Knife with Spare Blade from dealextreme? <_<)

Guest Higgsy

haha arden blue - Thats the colour of my car!! Although I would probably get the mick took out of me if I sprayed my phone the same colour as my car. Looks nice though. Blimey though all that paint from halfrauds must have cost you about 40 notes!

Guest iammodo
Your a brave, brave man! I've thought about it but was put off by the idea of taking so many components apart and them getting them back together with that 'factory fitted' feel still. How simple was it? No 'snaps' or anything I hope! Also might I ask where you got all the spare backs/buttons from? eBay?

And lolz @ the Vauxhall Arden Blue... my first car was a 2001 Astra in that shade but it was called Prestige Blue back then. Memories <_<

Good luck dude, cant wait to see pics of the final product.

The Hero is a very simple phone to take apart compared to iPhone.

I have a PDF guide and video Guides if you need them.

And as for parts I work in a repair centre for electronics and we have many scrap parts.

Guest iammodo
very nice, waiting for the final result

my phone is also grey (i also want to to change it)

btw:

Stainless Steel Precision Beak Tweezer (2-Pack), Precision Knife with Spare Blade from dealextreme? <_<)

not sure what dealextreame is I have many many tools due to working in the repair industry. most from maplins or online parts sites.

Guest iammodo
haha arden blue - Thats the colour of my car!! Although I would probably get the mick took out of me if I sprayed my phone the same colour as my car. Looks nice though. Blimey though all that paint from halfrauds must have cost you about 40 notes!

The cans are £5.99 each for 330ml. and you can do a lot of phones with that lol.

so that lot was closer to £25 not £40.

Guest AlunJ

im thinking of spraying mine a ford lime green, close to the android green colour...now for a stencil of the android robot to spray over?!?

Guest starfarer

<_< I'm the only one prefer grey as it is. Even if don't I will never do another revamp as most of the times I end up with lot worst.

A DIY for me is Destroy It Yourself!

Interesting and keeping an eye how you end up and whether others will follow suit :mellow:

Guest iammodo
this look so awesome I might hit Halfords tomorrow!!

what grade sandpaper did u use to sand down? and wer to get the G2 buttons?

used a 120 to remove the top layer then a 320 to smooth it down ( dont go to mental as the primer will do most of the work). just make sure you remove all the outer surface or the paint will remove it for you and you will need to repaint.

I got all my G2 parts from my work.

Guest iammodo
<_< I'm the only one prefer grey as it is. Even if don't I will never do another revamp as most of the times I end up with lot worst.

A DIY for me is Destroy It Yourself!

Interesting and keeping an eye how you end up and whether others will follow suit :mellow:

I work repairing computers and phones so its not really DIY, its every day stuff.

As for keeping it grey, my motorbike has a paint job I have many geek tattoos and stretched ears why would my phone be normal.

If anyone if thinking of following suit after the 4th day I will be posting advice, instructions on taking the phone apart, and anything else I can think that will help.

Guest AlunJ
I work repairing computers and phones so its not really DIY, its every day stuff.

As for keeping it grey, my motorbike has a paint job I have many geek tattoos and stretched ears why would my phone be normal.

If anyone if thinking of following suit after the 4th day I will be posting advice, instructions on taking the phone apart, and anything else I can think that will help.

Nice one! I am def up for doing this I think it looks awesome!

I hope you dont mind...but I borrowed one of your pics so I can see what it would look like android green <_< ....

post-591728-1267955662_thumb.jpg

Edited by AlunJ

Guest volatile_ink
phone went back together and is working will be taking photos in a bit <_<

Really interesting idea and looks really cool.

Could you take a pic of the phone glowing in the dark please? Also, would you consider selling cases pre-made on ebay?

Guest iammodo
Really interesting idea and looks really cool.

Could you take a pic of the phone glowing in the dark please? Also, would you consider selling cases pre-made on ebay?

Ebay not sure about due to replacing the front screen is bit to much for most people.

If people wanted back covers made for them I'm happy to do that.