Newbie Custom ROM install ?

Guest Matthew DeCillis

Guest Matthew DeCillis

I've searched around on here for this answer, but can't find a "how-to" article....probably staring right at it haha. I have never installed a new ROM on my i910 other than the VZW CF03. I found this post, but it doesn't say how to install a custom ROM.

Also, if i'm not happy with the ROM, can I just go thru the CF03 process to go back to stock ROM? Or does a hard reset automatically bring me back to CF03?

Guest flanker1743
I've searched around on here for this answer, but can't find a "how-to" article....probably staring right at it haha. I have never installed a new ROM on my i910 other than the VZW CF03. I found this post, but it doesn't say how to install a custom ROM.

Also, if i'm not happy with the ROM, can I just go thru the CF03 process to go back to stock ROM? Or does a hard reset automatically bring me back to CF03?

You have to download a ROM from one of the many available here. Start reading up on the ROMs and choose one with things you think you want in your ROM. After you download the ROM from one of the threads, follow the instructions in that link. That ****.bin file (the ROM you download) will be the file you load in UDML.

Guest 70blzr

thats the post where i was going to send you. when you flash a rom if you are not satified with it you have to flash back to the original. hard reset just removes everything that was installed to the device memory it will not take you back to the CF03.

Guest 70blzr

read over that a few times before you flash, make sure you understand the precedure. it not that hard but if not followed correctly you could possible brick your phone. but after you do it once, you will be hooked. <_< if you are still not sure just ask more questions everyone here helps out.

here is another tutorial you could look over.

http://omniarom.com/forum/index.php?topic=486.0

Edited by 70blzr

Guest -Mago-

Follow the steps on that post... Donwload UMDL from the attact file... and find a Rom that you like and download it look in here....

STEP 1: Make sure that the active sync connections on your computer is set so to *DO NOT ALLOW USB CONNECTIONS.

Step 2: In your phone settings, switch the USB connection from active sync to sync with Mass Storage. Then turn off your phone until later.

Step 3: Open the Samsung Omnia UMDL

Step 4: Select PDA and find the Bin file or ROM you want to install

Step 5: Click the detect button

Step 6: Plug in your phone while it is still turned off.

Step 7: After you plug it in, turn on the phone.

Step8: Your phone should have been detected and the firmware should be written to the disc. Wait for the blue highlight on the UMDL.

Step 9: It should be rebooting and you will need to setup windows again.

Step 10: To turn the GPS on, go to settings -> Phone -> GPS -> Change settings from 911 to location on.

Step 11: Soft reset the phone

Step 12: Program your phone by dialing *228, option 1. Once completed, dial *228 again, this time doing option 2.

IF you still need help PM me and I will help you I have Flash my phone a dozen times now and never had a problem...

UMDL23.exe

Guest lioryte

HERE is everything ya need to know/ use.

A hard reset won't take it back to CF03 but to the latest ROM version you installed. However, you can always go back to CF03. Hope this helps

Guest rfarrah
thats the post where i was going to send you. when you flash a rom if you are not satified with it you have to flash back to the original. hard reset just removes everything that was installed to the device memory it will not take you back to the CF03.

FWIW, I've never flashed back to the original; just kept updating as I've found new ROMs I want to try. Lioryte's 28223 is fast & stable - I recommend it.

Guest Matthew DeCillis

Thanks for all the replies. It really helped a lot! I'm going to try it.

FWIW, I've never flashed back to the original; just kept updating as I've found new ROMs I want to try. Lioryte's 28223 is fast & stable - I recommend it.

Yup...I think I'm going to use this one! Thanks.

Guest Ocracoke3l1te
Ok....am I supposed to rename the .7z file to .bin in order for the UMDL program to recognize it?

No you need to extract the file using winrar. .7z is a compressed file kinda like .zip or .rar