47 replies to this topic

eclsnowman

eclsnowman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Devices:Omnia i910
I just wanted to pose the question: "how stripped down can you make a rom".

The reason is simple I don't need it to be a phone anymore. I like many have moved on to the droid, but windows mobile had many nice features I don't want to die. The i910 only sells for $40-50 bucks online so it's not worth selling it.

I miss the nice camera, iGO Amigo GPS, Coreplayer for video, S2P for music. I figure the battery life should be able to last a long time if it's not trying to be a phone all the time. I could even use the google voice part of the phone over wifi if I wanted to call from it.

I think if someone could make a kick ass windows wifi browser/media rom many of our Omnia's could live on indefinitely. I mean windows mobile is basically windows CE anyway right?

So is it possible? Lioryte/Waremike/RobStorm I am thinking of you :)

Rob Storm

Rob Storm

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Devices:Verizon Omnia i910

I just wanted to pose the question: "how stripped down can you make a rom".

The reason is simple I don't need it to be a phone anymore. I like many have moved on to the droid, but windows mobile had many nice features I don't want to die. The i910 only sells for $40-50 bucks online so it's not worth selling it.

I miss the nice camera, iGO Amigo GPS, Coreplayer for video, S2P for music. I figure the battery life should be able to last a long time if it's not trying to be a phone all the time. I could even use the google voice part of the phone over wifi if I wanted to call from it.

I think if someone could make a kick ass windows wifi browser/media rom many of our Omnia's could live on indefinitely. I mean windows mobile is basically windows CE anyway right?

So is it possible? Lioryte/Waremike/RobStorm I am thinking of you :)

Very possible. I've seriously been thinking of making a "non phone based ROM". Removing all aspects of the phone. May give it a shot this weekend whilst drinking a few Yuenlings... ;)

If you like my work and wish to donate - Donation Link

eclsnowman

eclsnowman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Very possible. I've seriously been thinking of making a "non phone based ROM". Removing all aspects of the phone. May give it a shot this weekend whilst drinking a few Yuenlings... :)

I sent over a beer your way via donation, I am glad to help fuel creativity. I really do miss the Omnia forums. The android boys can be a little elitist (which is something I learned in the linux forums 7 years ago).

Keep fighting the good fight.

Rob Storm

Rob Storm

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

I sent over a beer your way via donation, I am glad to help fuel creativity. I really do miss the Omnia forums. The android boys can be a little elitist (which is something I learned in the linux forums 7 years ago).

Keep fighting the good fight.

Trying to find a way to turn Location On when there is no Phone Settings. Thanks for the beer... :)

iandy1

iandy1

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Computers, PPC's, music, games
  • Devices:wiza200, Omnia i910
Very interesting proposal.

That will keep the Omnia useful after an upgrade or change of carrier.

Thanks eclsnowman for another contribution to this forums, even after jumping ship, and to Rob Storm, sure he is the right man for the job.

Rob Storm

Rob Storm

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
Here is the first Omnia Non Phone ROM!

Please give as much feedback as you can. Version 0.90.

Non Phone 23549

eclsnowman

eclsnowman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Here is the first Omnia Non Phone ROM!

Please give as much feedback as you can. Version 0.90.

Non Phone 23549

Downloading it now to my house over remote desktop. That way it will be waiting for me when I get home. I will let you know how it goes.

nmayer79

nmayer79

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Devices:Incredible

Downloading it now to my house over remote desktop. That way it will be waiting for me when I get home. I will let you know how it goes.

have not upgraded yet but this is still a very interesting proposal, downloading and saving for future use. thanks storm

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed

kdkinc

kdkinc

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:Flashing
  • Devices:DROIDX
  • Twitter:@kdkinc
Rob: Hi..
You mentioned awhile back of getting a O2.
Are you still doing that or have you gone another way???
Ninja4hire has a nice rom for O2.

Thanks
Ken :) ;)

Levi H.

Levi H.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:The Omnia
I'm looking for a ROM that has a music player that doesn't suck.

Edited by Levi H., 22 March 2010 - 04:35 AM.

MechAniX.One

MechAniX.One

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
This is a great idea. I hope to use mine as a media remote control when it becomes end of life.

eclsnowman

eclsnowman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Sorry, I got sent out of town on work 2 hours after my last post. They didn't even give me time to go home and grab my laptop so I could flash my omnia. Anyway, I look forward to trying it out tonight.

The more I thought about it, the more I realize it will probably be a real pain to keep all the phone features from getting in the way of it's operation (like how many features won't work over wifi, just cell data). But I am still hopeful.

Rob Storm

Rob Storm

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Sorry, I got sent out of town on work 2 hours after my last post. They didn't even give me time to go home and grab my laptop so I could flash my omnia. Anyway, I look forward to trying it out tonight.

The more I thought about it, the more I realize it will probably be a real pain to keep all the phone features from getting in the way of it's operation (like how many features won't work over wifi, just cell data). But I am still hopeful.

I removed the phone part of the ROM abd added in the PDA packages.

Edited by Rob Storm, 25 March 2010 - 01:49 PM.

smashedpumpkins

smashedpumpkins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
Great to hear! I'll be upgrading and I'd hate to waste this phone. It's basically a mini laptop. It won't be until January though :\

-Mago-

-Mago-

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia
Could anyone post some pic of the new NonPhone Rom... thanks in advance..

mackrox

mackrox

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i910

Could anyone post some pic of the new NonPhone Rom... thanks in advance..

This would be a great idea, post up some screenshots. Once my omnia is retired, it's going to be a personal MP3 player! I would love to boot it up to a MP3-only interface.. with some apps.

Thee Antic

Thee Antic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia i910
Bump, I like the idea, have yet to install the rom on my phone but am willing to buy someone a beer if they can make a fully functioning mp4 player out of my omnia!

paxtonland

paxtonland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia i910
  • Twitter:@paxtonland

Bump, I like the idea, have yet to install the rom on my phone but am willing to buy someone a beer if they can make a fully functioning mp4 player out of my omnia!

Same here (bump)

cerberez

cerberez

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Devices:omnia i910

Same here (bump)

Yes! I've loved my omnia throughout all 2 years of my service contract and I'd love to keep it useful!

I would love for this to be a continuing project!

P.S. how would you turn it into a media remote control like MechAniX suggests? I thought it didn't have infrared... I want to learn more!

cerberez

cerberez

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Devices:omnia i910
i accidentally posted twice. I guess that means I have double enthusiasm for this project!

Dang, it would be so awesome to have a super-light version, without any of the phone stuff!

Edited by cerberez, 10 April 2010 - 07:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users