For those who have come from a Hero?

Guest Scottland

Guest Scottland

How are you finding it in comparison?

I'm tempted to order a Desire SIM free, just wanted some feedback from Hero owners as to how it compares for speed and responsiveness. Also how is the screen and size in the hand in comparison?

Cheers :P

Guest Dr. dre
How are you finding it in comparison?

I'm tempted to order a Desire SIM free, just wanted some feedback from Hero owners as to how it compares for speed and responsiveness. Also how is the screen and size in the hand in comparison?

Cheers :P

Dude If your talking comparison Desire almost has double the Processor and the RAM, So there is no comparison in performance, It will be excellent in responsiveness because it has a 1 GHz Processor, It has a 3.7 Inch AMOLED Screen so its gonna be a bit bigger than Hero.

Guest Scottland
Dude If your talking comparison Desire almost has double the Processor and the RAM, So there is no comparison in performance, It will be excellent in responsiveness because it has a 1 GHz Processor, It has a 3.7 Inch AMOLED Screen so its gonna be a bit bigger than Hero.

Yeah I understand that, I'm just after some first hand reports on how it is.

Guest mj_blue
Yeah I understand that, I'm just after some first hand reports on how it is.

I had a Hero before so my thoughts on this as a comparison:

Speed: It's blisteringly quick compared to Hero, The Hero's sluggishness (especially if streaming Audio over Bluetooth at some time) on some screens is non existent

Size: Physically they are almost identical which surprised me.. I expected it to feel much bigger than the Hero, the desire is slimmer and possibly lighter

Screen: The Issue of Seeing Screen in daylight is a thing of the past. Had this out yesterday in the semi sun and it was easily viewable

The Big Difference for me is the responsiveness of this device, there is no lag on anything that I can find and flicking through menus and screens is a breeze, you never have to do it again cos it missed it

Hope this helps

Edited by mj_blue

Guest Scottland
I had a Hero before so my thoughts on this as a comparison:

Speed: It's blisteringly quick compared to Hero, The Hero's sluggishness (especially if streaming Audio over Bluetooth at some time) on some screens is non existent

Size: Physically they are almost identical which surprised me.. I expected it to feel much bigger than the Hero, the desire is slimmer and possibly lighter

Screen: The Issue of Seeing Screen in daylight is a thing of the past. Had this out yesterday in the semi sun and it was easily viewable

The Big Difference for me is the responsiveness of this device, there is no lag on anything that I can find and flicking through menus and screens is a breeze, you never have to do it again cos it missed it

Hope this helps

Thanks for that, what I'm after tbh - the speed of my Hero is starting to grate a little bit. A lot of the time it's fine but sometimes it's really laggy.

Guest slaguru
Thanks for that, what I'm after tbh - the speed of my Hero is starting to grate a little bit. A lot of the time it's fine but sometimes it's really laggy.

I sold my Hero for the exact reason that it was just not fast enough. That and the update was too slow coming. The desire is a different beast. Cant wait for it to be rooted though.

Guest danlad79

What is the keypad like when typing?

On my hero it is only ok to use when you remove the haptic feedback... and even then, when using some apps that allow you to input text it can be slightly laggy.

My question is, is there still some lag? And if not.. is there still no lag at all even with haptic feedback on in processor intensive apps such as any of the msn messenger progs ?

I went into the carphonewarehouse today to see if they had a Desire in i could play with. Still none in. However I did have a play of the 4" screen HTC HD2 and its SO much easier to type on the onscreen keyboard compared to the hero. It was instant, even with haptic feedback on. I just hope the Desire is the same

Guest Scottland

This is all swaying me in favour of picking on up when they're in stock. Lag using the keyboard is one of my major gripes - that and lag using the phone application. Looked at some vids on YT of the desire and it looks far better.

Thanks for the replies all.

Guest peter.taylor

picked mine up from carphonewarehouse last night, tmobile contract (yet tmobile can't supply till after easter.....)

so much quicker than the HERO.

only issue i have is when unlocking, i have to slide the screen down, then do the pattern unlock.

anyone found a way to use just the pattern?

Guest squirreleater
T-Mo actually got 900 in today!

P

Indeed, i was in my local store today and they had some in- waiting to go straight out the door on pre orders mind!

Guest munkimatt

Mines just turned up. Screen seems massive in comparison. Gorgeous though. Speed is noticeably better.

Does it feel like a huge step up from the Hero though? Not so much.

Guest Jay3gsm

I have been using the Hero for a while now, recently updated to 2.1 on the Hero too. The speed difference on the Desire in comparison is amazing, when I update apps in the Android market on the Hero the phone struggles to handle multiple downloads, yet I went through the market and installed a few apps today and the Desire was downloading and installing multiple files way quicker than anything I have experienced on any Android device previously. Truly amazing. Web browsing is also very snappy. Animations are smoother, and overall the whole experience of Android is much improved.

I only picked up the Desire this morning, managed to get the last one from my local T-Mob store on an upgrade. Early impressions so far are very positive.

Guest danlad79

Having come from a HTC Hero with a 2.1 Sense ROM, you find that visually everything is pretty much exactly the same, so yes there is perhaps a slight feeling of underwhelment.

However, what is surprising is that just by simply being a LOT faster, and with a bigger screen, it is amazing how the user experience becomes infinately better. On paper it doesnt mean much, but in use the phone becomes so enjoyable and instant.

I guess this has always been why previously the iphone interface has always been seen as excellent - the instantness makes a world of difference, and the HTC Desire (albeit the 1ghz processor) brings this to android.

Guest Beekhouse

Just got my Desire and it is FAST. My old Hero is pretty laggy with a custom 2.1 rom, but the Desire is from another world. Typing is really a lot better and more responsive. It really is a must buy.

Guest zippyioa

I have been using a HTC Hero with Modaco 3.2 for several months and always felt it was lightning fast.

Having played with my Desire for almost 48 hours I have to say it is uber quick, especially when I went back to my Hero which seemed cramped and sluggish in comparison!!

So if you are a current Hero owner thinking "is it worth the upgrade?" I would have to say ABSOLUTELY!! :P

Guest GuyAdams

Add me to the list of ex Hero users, don't get me wrong I loved my Hero but the Desire is just in another league....

The minute I turned on my Desire, I was gob smacked at the speed, its phenomenal.

As for other factors, the Desires AMOLED screen is so beautiful at times I find myself just unlocking the device to stare at it! The camera is actually usable and is beginning to eat into my digital camera usage.

Also one of my favourite factors, the additional screen space really makes the on screen keyboard that extra bit usable.

Now all I'm waiting for is the other 50% of the Market to appear, it seems Google still haven't authorised the Desire's fingerprint which means most of the applications I previously purchased on the Hero are not yet available. Fingers crossed that soon will be sorted.

Thanks

Guest salahag
Now all I'm waiting for is the other 50% of the Market to appear, it seems Google still haven't authorised the Desire's fingerprint which means most of the applications I previously purchased on the Hero are not yet available. Fingers crossed that soon will be sorted.

Thanks

I'm waiting for my sim-free Desire to arrive. And until it can be safely unlocked, I'm keeping my Hero as well. Why? First it won't be easy to let go, I love my Hero. ;) And I can use it to copy apk files of purchased applications and install them onto the Desire. ;)

Guest Jonaldo87

Just got my Desire on Thursday from Orange.

Oh em Gee! FAST!

Have no complaints at all!

all the niggly things that were wrong with Hero..... GONE!

Just need to get rid of the orange branding.....matter of time and effort!

Guest GuyAdams
I'm waiting for my sim-free Desire to arrive. And until it can be safely unlocked, I'm keeping my Hero as well. Why? First it won't be easy to let go, I love my Hero. ;) And I can use it to copy apk files of purchased applications and install them onto the Desire. ;)

I have a backup of my applications from my Hero so will give that a go later, just wish Google would pull there finger out and get it authorised.

Thanks

Guest blackhorse
Just got my Desire on Thursday from Orange.

Oh em Gee! FAST!

Have no complaints at all!

all the niggly things that were wrong with Hero..... GONE!

Just need to get rid of the orange branding.....matter of time and effort!

I did the goldcard route and installed generic software onto mine

The desire really does complete the small things that were wrong with the hero. Ie

Screen size - now perfect with great res. Perfect for web browsing

Memory - was an issue regularly dropping under 20mb free and lagging phone, now sorted never going below 100mb even when getting hammered with every app open.

Lag here and there, sorted with blistering quick 1ghz processor.

Easily handset of 2010 and were only in April.

Hero did it last year desire this year, I think Apple are actually getting nervous especially with their new o.s 4.0 that mutitasks wohoo lol

Guest The_IMF

What have people noticed about battery life?

My Hero was 95% last night when I went to bed... I woke up 6 hours later and it was down to 23%! lol