Rooting for HTC Legend?

Guest Jeffooo

Guest seaders

yeah, I would also very much like to know. I got my Legend yesterday with 2.1 and was disappointed to find out that the GUI behind 2.1 still doesn't support LEAP wireless security connections, so I need root to be able to manually edit the wpa_supplicant file.

I've searched the site and while the pictures of a rooted Desire and Legend have stretched across the globe on other sites, I've not been able to find it posted here. is there a specific section here that details how to stay on top of this story?

Guest Jeffooo

whats a LEAP wireless security connections? is it bluetooth or what?

yeah i would also like to know how to stay on top of the story? probably paul can keep us updated or something like that?

Guest seaders
whats a LEAP wireless security connections? is it bluetooth or what?

yeah i would also like to know how to stay on top of the story? probably paul can keep us updated or something like that?

no, it's a standard big-company type of wireless security connection (like WEP / WPA). I think nearly all Android devices are able to connect to the thing, but the Android developers have chosen to not include it in the GUI for wireless connections. I have an Archos A5IT, which runs Android too, and in one of their firmware updates, they did a very smart thing, they gave the adb user more privileges, so that meant you could edit the wpa_supplicant file and connect to these wireless access points using the advanced security. there's a good few people who work in places that don't use WEP, WPA/WPA2 or 802.11x (PEAP, TLS, TTLS) and because of the lack of GUI options, you can't connect.

the funny thing is, it literally is just a one line change, here's the network config before the edit,

network={

ssid="<SSID OF YOUR NETWORK>"

scan_ssid=1

key_mgmt=IEEE8021X

auth_alg=OPEN SHARED

eap=PEAP

identity="<LEAP login>"

password="<LEAP password>"

priority=1

}
and after,
network={

ssid="<SSID OF YOUR NETWORK>"

scan_ssid=1

key_mgmt=IEEE8021X

auth_alg=OPEN SHARED

eap=LEAP

identity="<LEAP login>"

password="<LEAP password>"

priority=1

}

all you change is eap=PEAP to eap=LEAP, which, to me is so crazy that they left it out of the GUI, it's unbelievable. I work for IBM and that config is used in nearly all their sites around the world, so all of us who have Android devices can't connect to our work's wireless because of it!

• 3 weeks later...