Extremely frustrated -- I need an up-to-date, thorough, non-BS explanation (rooting/

Guest FrustratedOne

Guest FrustratedOne

I recently bought an unlocked Nexus One, but I want to root it so I can start installing some custom mods/learn how to edit things more in-depth.

However, every guide I look at is either incomplete, vague, incompatible, or wrong.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium.

Nexus One Phone Info:

Firmware version: 2-1.update1

Build Number: ERE27

I need to know, exactly, what to do to root this phone, without random comments like "Oh, just install these drivers" or vague comments or dismissive "oh just read this link to a technically incompatible/incomplete article" or skipped vital steps. I need to know how to properly install them, etc.

-What must I install first and how can I verify that it's working correctly?

-I've tried downloading the SDK and the USB revision 3 drivers but I'm not sure if they're "installing to the phone," but rather just the folder on the drive. When I've tried to do the fastboot-windows devices thing, it doesn't find my device. The only time I can seem to get the Nexus One to be "findable" by my comp is if I boot into the main phone and Mount via USB setting (then I can see the folders). But the device is basically disconnected if I try booting in with the trackball/power button.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Guest Froschkönig

my english is really bad so i dont want to write things nobody can understand. if you want i can help you via icq or msn.

Guest vinny.1967

It's very simple....go to TheUnlockr.com and choose nexus one device it have step by step on root, flash and install roms...check it out. hope it help. good lock.

Guest pvillasuso
However, every guide I look at is either incomplete, vague, incompatible, or wrong.

As @vinny.1967 said

Here : http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...te-with-videos/

Or this one : http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Full..._to_CyanogenMod

And yes, another good link : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=654869

The best advice I can give you is : be sure you have the right drivers installed ! then everything will go smooth and easy !

How to know this ? . well easy , just go into device manager ( hardware ) and you will see this :

ADBREADYDRIVERS.jpg

And keep going with the guides from there ....

IF NOT , then connect your phone > goto device manager again and search for the yellow question mark ( don't remember how exactly its name appears ) and > right click > update driver software ... and use the right drivers ( RS link below ) ... If everything went good , then you will see the picture above, as is suppoused to be , and you will be ready to continue ...

DRIVERS:

These are for win7 64bits ( same as mine )

http://rapidshare.com/files/371688231/usb_driver.zip > UNZIP them in a known folder @ desktop maybe , and have them ready to use when updating the missing driver ...

Good luck !

ps.. that picture should be included @ guides ! :P

Guest JonnyRockets
I recently bought an unlocked Nexus One, but I want to root it so I can start installing some custom mods/learn how to edit things more in-depth.

I am running Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium.

Nexus One Phone Info:

Firmware version: 2-1.update1

Build Number: ERE27

I need to know, exactly, what to do to root this phone, without random comments like "Oh, just install these drivers" or vague comments or dismissive "oh just read this link to a technically incompatible/incomplete article" or skipped vital steps. I need to know how to properly install them, etc.

-What must I install first and how can I verify that it's working correctly?

-I've tried downloading the SDK and the USB revision 3 drivers but I'm not sure if they're "installing to the phone," but rather just the folder on the drive. When I've tried to do the fastboot-windows devices thing, it doesn't find my device. The only time I can seem to get the Nexus One to be "findable" by my comp is if I boot into the main phone and Mount via USB setting (then I can see the folders). But the device is basically disconnected if I try booting in with the trackball/power button.

Any help would be much appreciated.

You absolutely can not find a better guide than this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=636795

Guest Wardski

I'm so delighted to see people helping this guy. I've seen nothing but arrogance and "go search the forum" responses by more experience users of this forum and XDA that it makes me sick.

To those that have responded in good faith, Good work people - keep up the good work!

Guest FrustratedOne

Thanks for the help everyone... I managed to unlock the bootloader thing and I *think* I have root access now.

Any way to test?

What recovery image thing / mods(roms?) would you guys recommend? I want something that looks futuristic/sleek. Trackball changing colors too

Guest FrustratedOne
Thanks for the help everyone... I managed to unlock the bootloader thing and I *think* I have root access now.

Any way to test?

What recovery image thing / mods(roms?) would you guys recommend? I want something that looks futuristic/sleek. Trackball changing colors too

When I install an app like Nexus Torch and say "accept" to root access I just get a black screen. Do I not have root access?

Guest FrustratedOne
When I install an app like Nexus Torch and say "accept" to root access I just get a black screen. Do I not have root access?

Arrghh guys this isn't working! I feel like I am going to ruin my phone. I followed instructions but it isn't working properly.

Guest pvillasuso
Arrghh guys this isn't working! I feel like I am going to ruin my phone. I followed instructions but it isn't working properly.

goto settings / application settings / Development / USB debugging ( this option MUST be enabled )

Guest FrustratedOne
goto settings / application settings / Development / USB debugging ( this option MUST be enabled )

Yes, it's enabled, and has been the entire process.

Which recovery image should I use? Which ROM? Which addon? Do I only need to run superboot once?

I seriously need a very specific order. Do this. Then do this. etc etc etc.

I've tried these guides linked above but I feel like they still fall into the "not working" category. There are too many "options" for certain steps.

Guest JonnyRockets

Which recovery image should I use? Which ROM? Which addon? Do I only need to run superboot once?

I've tried these guides linked above but I feel like they still fall into the "not working" category. There are too many "options" for certain steps.

Obviously you did not click the link I gave you before:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=636795

It's 100% step by step.

CLICK IT

Guest FrustratedOne

I am about to blow gasket. This is making me so angry.

I flashed the superboot thing, installed recoveries/addons, flashed those rom image things, and yet I get blackscreened when I try to run anything needing root access? Or it'll just hang? What's wrong?

Guest pvillasuso

FIRST verify the drivers then :

1. http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...your-nexus-one/

2. http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...-the-nexus-one/

3. http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...recovery-image/

4. download the ROM , you want , and place it @ /sdcard

5. Boot in Recovery Mode

1. Boot the phone while holding down the VOLUMEDOWN-key.

2. Navigate to RECOVERY with the the VOLUMEDOWN-key.

3. Press the POWER-key to select.

6. Wipe everything

* Wipe data/factory reset :: Wipe /data and /cache

* Wipe Dalvik-cache :: Wipe Dalvik-cache both on /data and ext

* Wipe SD:ext partition : Wipe the ext partition on your sdcard

* Wipe battery stats : Wipe the battery stats in /data

* Wipe rotate settings : Wipe the sensor settings in /data

7. Flash zip from sdcard ( choose your ROM file , the one you downloaded an put into /sdcard )

8. Enjoy your newborn N1

Guest JonnyRockets
I followed this guide to the letter and it did not work for me.

Can you tell me the exact step that did not work? And up to which step you completed successfully?

Guest FrustratedOne

"Download the ROM you want"

What is the difference between a recovery image and a ROM? Last time I tried installing a Cyanogen mod and it threw errors when I tried installing it.

Which ROMS are popular at the moment?

Guest FrustratedOne
Can you tell me the exact step that did not work? And up to which step you completed successfully?

All the steps worked except when it came to actually using root access. When I'd try to launch something like Nexus Torch, it couldn't find my LED. When I try running any other program and make it accept Root privileges, it just blackscreens.

Guest JonnyRockets
"Download the ROM you want"

What is the difference between a recovery image and a ROM? Last time I tried installing a Cyanogen mod and it threw errors when I tried installing it.

Which ROMS are popular at the moment?

Think of a ROM as skinning Android

Recovery image lets you apply a ROM

Popular ROMS are Cyanogen (see XDA Nexus One forums -> Development forum), and Desire (see the 100+ pg thread on this forum)

Guest JonnyRockets
All the steps worked except when it came to actually using root access. When I'd try to launch something like Nexus Torch, it couldn't find my LED. When I try running any other program and make it accept Root privileges, it just blackscreens.

Go to your home screen

Press Menu -> Settings -> About

What does yours say for all the settings on this page?

4res.png

Guest FrustratedOne
Go to your home screen

Press Menu -> Settings -> About

What does yours say for all the settings on this page?

4res.png

Model Number

Nexus One

Firmware vrsion

2.1-update1

Baseband version

32.24.00.22U_4.03.00.21_2

Kernel Version

2.6.29-01117-g4bc62c2

android-build@apa26 #1

Build Number

ERE27

Guest FrustratedOne
Think of a ROM as skinning Android

Recovery image lets you apply a ROM

Popular ROMS are Cyanogen (see XDA Nexus One forums -> Development forum), and Desire (see the 100+ pg thread on this forum)

What are the key advantages of one over the other?

Guest JonnyRockets
What are the key advantages of one over the other?

They look different. Cyanogen looks like normal Android. Then compare to the pics in the Desire thread.

Model Number

Nexus One

Firmware vrsion

2.1-update1

Baseband version

Kernel Version

2.6.29-01117-g4bc62c2

android-build@apa26 #1

Build Number

ERE27

1. Open N1 Torch -> Allow request -> Reboot -> Open N1 Torch -> Does it work?

2. If not, also try downloading Terminal from the Market. Open -> type su -> press enter -> Allow request -> Reboot -> Open Terminal -> Type su and press enter again -> Does black screen come back?

Edited by JonnyRockets

Guest FrustratedOne
They look different. Cyanogen looks like normal Android. Then compare to the pics in the Desire thread.

1. Open N1 Torch -> Allow request -> Reboot -> Open N1 Torch -> Does it work?

2. If not, also try downloading Terminal from the Market. Open -> type su -> press enter -> Allow request -> Reboot -> Open Terminal -> Type su and press enter again -> Does black screen come back?

When I open Torch post-reboot, it goes into the program like it did pre-reboot, but pressing ON still yields "can't find LED!" like before

Also, which terminal? There seem to be many. Do I need to buy the $1.99 one?

Guest R@v3n
Model Number

Nexus One

Firmware vrsion

2.1-update1

Baseband version

Kernel Version

2.6.29-01117-g4bc62c2

android-build@apa26 #1

Build Number

ERE27

from what I can see here, it seems you're still on the stock (original) ROM for the N1! you need to be on a custom ROM to use root.