Extremely frustrated -- I need an up-to-date, thorough, non-BS explanation (rooting/

Guest FrustratedOne

Guest FrustratedOne
You still haven't expounded on your issue. "_____doesn't work" doesn't say anything about your problem.

I'll say again, you "think" it's not syncing, so test it.

Maybe I am using the wrong jargon then -- I know it isn't syncing properly because I can send myself an email on the computer and it sometimes won't pop up the notification on my phone unless I manually refresh the Gmail inbox on my phone. The sync settings for everything are on, active, and roaring, but for some reason they actually aren't updating my inbox like they were before. I got it working again by using the Task Manager to delete my stored mail data or whatever it's called, but I'd ideally like the problem to be permanently fixed.

Guest pvillasuso
LOL thanks for the reply, but I am not retarded

I'm not treating you like a retarded , and it was never my intention to do so , or to be read or taken as that ...

I just gave you STEP by STEP instructions ..., because you are whining from the begging that there are no GOOD ( Step by Step ) Guides.

You said it . PLEASE Step by Step ... A-B-C ,etc

Anyway , that's what you get from helping the "Nuvs" ! I'm done here ..

ps. A simple - Thanks - would have been good enough ...

Guest FrustratedOne
I'm not treating you like a retarded , and it was never my intention to do so , or to be read or taken as that ...

I just gave you STEP by STEP instructions ..., because you are whining from the begging that there are no GOOD ( Step by Step ) Guides.

You said it . PLEASE Step by Step ... A-B-C ,etc

Anyway , that's what you get from helping the "Nuvs" ! I'm done here ..

ps. A simple - Thanks - would have been good enough ...

Was not my intent to come off that way -- I had stated that the settings clearly indicated that sync was on from the getgo, which was what I was getting at. I didn't mean to imply any lack of gratitude otherwise as I do appreciate your help.

Guest pvillasuso
Was not my intent to come off that way -- I had stated that the settings clearly indicated that sync was on from the getgo, which was what I was getting at. I didn't mean to imply any lack of gratitude otherwise as I do appreciate your help.

No prob man ! maybe it isnt a good day for me ! and Im making a big deal from this !

Peace !

Guest gregDT

This could well serve as a salutary lesson in the nature of Flashing new ROM's onto hardware that the manufacturer never intended to be altered in that way. It is not an exact science, none of the ROM's are professionally made or come with any guarantees whatsoever. New ROM's often don't fly on the hardware they are flashed onto. Support is provided by volunteers who, while they might be skilled in process, are not professionals either.

Flashing ROM's always carries a degree of risk and really should only be tried by people who not only understand the steps involved but also the underlying principals that are work beneath those steps.

Any less and you really are playing fast and loose with your expensive hardware.

Guest muncheese
This could well serve as a salutary lesson in the nature of Flashing new ROM's onto hardware that the manufacturer never intended to be altered in that way. It is not an exact science, none of the ROM's are professionally made or come with any guarantees whatsoever. New ROM's often don't fly on the hardware they are flashed onto. Support is provided by volunteers who, while they might be skilled in process, are not professionals either.

Flashing ROM's always carries a degree of risk and really should only be tried by people who not only understand the steps involved but also the underlying principals that are work beneath those steps.

Any less and you really are playing fast and loose with your expensive hardware.

Desire and Nexus are the same exact innards. Only difference are the hardware buttons and optical pad.

Go to your home screen

Press Menu -> Settings -> About

What does yours say for all the settings on this page?

<snip about screen image>

Um, if that was from your phone you've just given everyone your ssh password. You might want to change it.

Guest davidcroda

I'm not sure if this was resolved, but there is one thing missing from most tutorials that really messed me up for a while.

You MUST have "USB Debugging" enabled in your phone settings. Settings >> Applications >> Developmentt >> Usb Debugging

I think it is missing from many tutorials since many people probably already had this setting activated already

Hope this helps someone!

Guest davidcroda

I'm not sure if this was resolved, but there is one thing missing from most tutorials that really messed me up for a while.

You MUST have "USB Debugging" enabled in your phone settings. Settings >> Applications >> Developmentt >> Usb Debugging

I think it is missing from many tutorials since many people probably already had this setting activated already

Hope this helps someone!

Guest JonnyRockets
Um, if that was from your phone you've just given everyone your ssh password. You might want to change it.

It was the default password for the Desire rom, set by Paul himself...

Even so, what's the harm in it? Unless someone knows my phone's IP address, who cares

It was the default password for the Desire rom, set by Paul himself...

Even so, what's the harm in it? Unless someone knows my phone's IP address, who cares

Assuming Paul's Desire MCR sets up dropbear the same way his Hero MCR does, the password is set randomly the first time the device boots, so it's unique to each installation; anything else would be asking for trouble. However as long as you know the significance of the password & don't mind it being made public that's fine. I only pointed it out as occasionally that screen gets posted by someone who doesn't realise what they've just done.

In practice you're probably right that in the case of an individual the risks are minimal. Unless someone malicious has read this who knows you personally you're probably safe. Some people just don't like relying on 'probably' - that's why a secure shell daemon is installed on your phone & not a telnet daemon. Blessed be.

Guest JonnyRockets
Assuming Paul's Desire MCR sets up dropbear the same way his Hero MCR does, the password is set randomly the first time the device boots, so it's unique to each installation; anything else would be asking for trouble. However as long as you know the significance of the password & don't mind it being made public that's fine. I only pointed it out as occasionally that screen gets posted by someone who doesn't realise what they've just done.

In practice you're probably right that in the case of an individual the risks are minimal. Unless someone malicious has read this who knows you personally you're probably safe. Some people just don't like relying on 'probably' - that's why a secure shell daemon is installed on your phone & not a telnet daemon. Blessed be.

Just to be clear, there is absolutely no way anyone can do anything malicious with this without having access to my phone in person, or knowing my phone's IP address, correct?

Guest muncheese
Just to be clear, there is absolutely no way anyone can do anything malicious with this without having access to my phone in person, or knowing my phone's IP address, correct?

Not only have I gained full access to your phone, but your wife has decided to run off with me and your car.

Now you know not to post your ssh pw.

Better luck next time!

Guest JonnyRockets
Not only have I gained full access to your phone, but your wife has decided to run off with me and your car.

Now you know not to post your ssh pw.

Better luck next time!

lol! :P

Another reason I don't really mind is that my phone is on Airplane mode both while I'm at work and when I'm sleeping anyway. Just want to make it clear that the risks are incredibly minimal without someone knowing your ip address.

Edited by JonnyRockets

Guest gregDT
Desire and Nexus are the same exact innards. Only difference are the hardware buttons and optical pad.

You're not wrong friend, and you can brick both of them in much the same way. My point was to tread very carefully when messing with an expensive mobile phone, especially if it's your only mobile phone. "Take care and research well." is my advice.

Sure. That's why I said it'd probably be safe unless the attacker knew you. If they were physically close they could use packet sniffing to attempt to obtain your ip address; nb I have a little knowledge of wifi tech & virtually none of mobile network protocols, so E&OE :P Just to be clear though, they wouldn't need to be close, that would just be one approach, but they would need to be able to spy on a part of the route your ip traffic takes. It's all very unlikely unless someone is out to get you.

Of course if a ROM developer, worse still an official distributor say, did something daft like set up ssh access on their devices & gave them all the same default password, that'd be a whole different ballgame. It would be more likely to become public knowledge & it would be a far more attractive target as there'd be lots of possible victims. You hear of such things occasionally, like when a major ISP leaves a backdoor into its customers' routers. for their own use, & uses identical passwords (or ones that are easy to deduce like phone number, surname etc). It does happen.

Hope that clears things up. Sorry if I've alarmed anyone without cause.

Edited by zorm

Guest JonnyRockets
Sure. That's why I said it'd probably be safe unless the attacker knew you. If they were physically close they could use packet sniffing to attempt to obtain your ip address; nb I have a little knowledge of wifi tech & virtually none of mobile network protocols, so E&OE :P Just to be clear though, they wouldn't need to be close, that would just be one approach, but they would need to be able to spy on a part of the route your ip traffic takes. It's all very unlikely unless someone is out to get you.

Of course if a ROM developer, worse still an official distributor say, did something daft like set up ssh access on their devices & gave them all the same default password, that'd be a whole different ballgame. It would be more likely to become public knowledge & it would be a far more attractive target as there'd be lots of possible victims. You hear of such things occasionally, like when a major ISP leaves a backdoor into its customers' routers. for their own use, & uses identical passwords (or ones that are easy to deduce like phone number, surname etc). It does happen.

Hope that clears things up. Sorry if I've alarmed anyone without cause.

Thanks for the explanation.

I don't know how Paul sets it up for his ROM, but another thing to note is that he too has a screenshot of his SSH password publicly available :(

http://android.modaco.com/content/google-n...-arabic-hebrew/

Edited by JonnyRockets

Well, to be fair he's not really on vacation, he's out looking for his wife too.

*whistles*

:P

:( I'm sure Paul know's what he's doing.

Guest houstonblaney1

I personally used the following site to unlock the bootloader and learn how to flash ROMs:

Nexus One Hacks

Unlock Nexus One Bootloader

Step By Step Guide On How To Install Cyanogen Mod ROM On Your Nexus One! (The guide is for flashing CyanogenMod, but the procedure is the same for flashing any ROM)

I was up and running in about an hour about half of what I did was redundant (checked a lot of stuff just to make sure I was doing things correctly).

The Nexus One Hacks site was by the easiest (and easiest to understand) instructions for unlocking the bootloader and flashing ROMs.

Hope this helps!