Defected to the dark side!

Guest hally83

Guest hally83

Well, just upgraded my phone to the Desire, getting delivered tomorrow.

Got tired of waiting on 2.1 for my Hero!

Big big thanks the AychTeeSee for his Vanilla rom's which made my Hero ownership a little bit better and of course, Paul for MCR. Hopefully be putting an MCR on my Desire when he gets round to rooting it.

Hero going on Ebay later today ;)

Heres hoping you guys get 2.1 sooner rather than later!

Chris.

Guest daveba
Well, just upgraded my phone to the Desire, getting delivered tomorrow.

Got tired of waiting on 2.1 for my Hero!

Big big thanks the AychTeeSee for his Vanilla rom's which made my Hero ownership a little bit better and of course, Paul for MCR. Hopefully be putting an MCR on my Desire when he gets round to rooting it.

Hero going on Ebay later today ;)

Heres hoping you guys get 2.1 sooner rather than later!

Chris.

+1

Sold mine on the ebay equivalent in Dubai (dubizzle.com) and now waiting for the volcanic ash to settle so the planes can deliver my new Desire to me. Bye all. HTC did a perfect marketing job - i.e. release a new handset and hold off before giving the old ones new firmware so people defect.

Guest Blackfish

Yes...i will buy my Legend tomorrow....maybe we follow all the strategy of HTC...Samsung should produce a Galaxy S Life but with a 3.2-3.4 inch screen and i will never buy an HTC device again before they change the upgrade politic...

Guest ikamatos
Yes...i will buy my Legend tomorrow....maybe we follow all the strategy of HTC...Samsung should produce a Galaxy S Life but with a 3.2-3.4 inch screen and i will never buy an HTC device again before they change the upgrade politic...

Your signature says you will keep on buying HTC...I'm just saying...

Guest Dan Mullen

I'm looking forward to 2.1, but I only got my Hero last August - there's no way I'm ditching it after 8 months! I usually have an upgrade cycle of every 18 months with my mobiles and, unfortunately, the vast majority never release firmware updates. This is the first phone I've had that's been so customisable and I'm confident that HTC will continue to support the Hero along with other, older handsets.

Guest venturerider

The Hero is fine. It's got all the goodies, and with a good ROM will give good battery life and more than adequate performance. It will last for a while. Meanwhile, any new phone you buy will be obsolete the moment you turn it on anyway ;)

Guest Blackfish
Your signature says you will keep on buying HTC...I'm just saying...

I was a PC user for many years...now i use Macs...oh...Samsung builds super interesting smart-phones right now...htc is not anymore the only one building great devices

Edited by Blackfish

Guest tdohappens

i got my hero in the first days of January, this year. no legend, nexus one or desire then.

unfortunately, i have to stick with it

i kinda hate it now. i'm sorry to say this. it's a good[ish] phone but it fails you just when you need it the most

not a true "hero" ... that saves you when you need it to

almost every time i really need it for something important: force close, lag, lag, lag, force close.

and the update policy ... what update policy?

this is getting stupid. i somewhat understood htc for not releasing 2.1 for hero until legend and desire are out.

now they're out. where the f is 2.1 for hero.

i actually think they're still working on it, on optimization and battery time.

hero's hardware maybe just isn't good enough.

i installed villain 5.22 which some say it's the best 2.1 rom for hero.

thank god for nandroid backups. villain 5.22 sucks and i bet all 2.1 roms for hero suck.

battery life ... there is no battery life, it's like watching a vampire enjoying fast-food.

and every time i pushed the home button, black screen. i had to wait minutes for my home screen to restore. and this without rosie.

[yeah ... i did a full wipe before i installed 2.1]

my opinion ... get a new [better] phone if you can

fffuuuuuuuuu.jpg

Guest us1111

This was for sure a plot from HTC.. It's all psychological.

First you spread the rumor that your phone can be totaly up to date with a 2.1 OS and Sense. You get excited by that notion and start building up tension together with the friends on the forums. After a while, you REALLY want something new on your phone, but the only way to get this, is to buy an expensive new phone. But.. Hey.. When you buy that new phone (Desire/Legend), it also will be faster, so the money is not wasted, you spend it on a brand new fast phone!

This is the way the asian market is making us think! Don't upgrade, just buy new...

If HTC had never made any suggestion that the Hero would be updated to 2.1 this chain of events would not have happened and you would probably be perfectly happy with your hero running as smooth as silk on android 1.5.

Guest dwattsy21

I like everybody else am eagerly awaiting this 2.1 upgrade, but I'm not that fussed to go and buy a new phone. To be honest, my hero is just fine as it is... it's fast, all the apps work, it's easy to use... 3.2 is just fine. Sure, the friend stream would be nice, and the heli-homepage or whatever it's called looks neat. But I definitely don't need a couple of extra features that much to fork out a load on a new phone just yet.

Especially after seeing phones like the HTC Incredible and HTC Evo coming soon... I'm guna wait until there is something really significant to upgrade to. One that definitely won't come to the Hero!

Guest jonathanmusto

After trying several 2.1 ROMs I've gone back to MCR 3.2 (1.5). While the new features in 2.1 are good, they are not worth buying a new phone for! I'm fed up waiting for HTC too, but it will come sooner or later. Got to say, my Hero runs like a dream on MCR 3.2. I get 2 days battery life with quite heavy use and its increadibly fast!! The only thing I wish for is a larger screen. I've got 8 months left on contract and will enjoy my Hero until then...

Guest keef319

I think it's rubbish what they're doing, time and time again, delaying the release of 2.1 for Hero users.

The only thing HTC have ever done for the Hero was release the bug fix update soon after release! They've had months to get 2.1 ready for the Hero!

I'm no fanboy of any manufacturer, so am not blinkered when it comes to admiring things such as the iPhone. Despite it missing some of the things you'll find on Android, it works straight out of the box, doesn't need tinkering with regularly! A combination of the 2 would be great.

Guest jonathanmusto
I think it's rubbish what they're doing, time and time again, delaying the release of 2.1 for Hero users.

The only thing HTC have ever done for the Hero was release the bug fix update soon after release! They've had months to get 2.1 ready for the Hero!

I'm no fanboy of any manufacturer, so am not blinkered when it comes to admiring things such as the iPhone. Despite it missing some of the things you'll find on Android, it works straight out of the box, doesn't need tinkering with regularly! A combination of the 2 would be great.

The iPhone didn't have simple things like MMS and Copy/Paste for years! I don't think things with the Hero are quite that bad... It is annoying that they have delayed it yet again, it makes them look incompetent more than anything else, because of this when buying my next phone i'll be seriously put off buying another HTC Sense phone. But my MCR 3.2 Hero works just fine....

Guest AndyCr15
i got my hero in the first days of January, this year. no legend, nexus one or desire then.

unfortunately, i have to stick with it

Nexus One release date was January 5th... and you bought a Hero and now moan?

Guest masterpfa

7 months from today my upgrade is due, so personally not too concerned about an updates.

I run VanillaEclair 1.1JIT ROM (2.1 Vanilla ROM) on my Hero and it works just fine for me.

With the possible updates from 1.5 to 2.1 being delayed/put back/not materialising, has me leaning towards the Nexus 1 (Non Branded) which if capable should receive 2.2 etc as a priority. Having said that, by the end of the year who knows some super duper phone may be on the horizon (Snapdragon Quad Core processor, Android 2.5 and 16Gb inbuilt HD!)

I would like 2.1 for the Hero but at this rate and with my upgrade due, my Hero will be consigned to being my development phone! ;)

Guest tdohappens
Nexus One release date was January 5th... and you bought a Hero and now moan?

i don't live in the us or uk and the nexus one isn't available in my country

but it's sold in some stores for a month now for 600 euros [that's 850 dollars]

i'm not paying that much, i bought my hero for 300 euros

Guest starfarer

Wondering why people still interested in Desire and not N1? With Desire , this is re-wind with Hero when 2.2/2.5 is out :P

I'm not due upgrade until Feb 2011. With the pace that Google going on with Android development, even if carrier offered me a free phone of choice, I will not touch Android based phone for another 7/8 months. Just wondering anyone in UK here who wants to trade my Hero(locked to Orange)+cash for Palm pre. Still banging my head that for fiver saving per month, I made a wrong decision :huh:

Edited by starfarer

Guest TeaSea
Wondering why people still interested in Desire and not N1? With Desire , this is re-wind with Hero when 2.2/2.5 is out :P

I'm not due upgrade until Feb 2011. With the pace that Google going on with Android development, even if carrier offered me a free phone of choice, I will not touch Android based phone for another 7/8 months. Just wondering anyone in UK here who wants to trade my Hero(locked to Orange)+cash for Palm pre. Still banging my head that for fiver saving per month, I made a wrong decision :huh:

The N1 is just an older chassis version of the Desire. Besides, the N1 has been shown to have numerous problems wrt. 3G reception which COULD be a hardware issue (Which I believe was fixed with the Desire?). OH AND PLUS, check sites like expansys, The desire is £440, the N1 is £585. Severely not worth it.

Guest Blackfish

Because after you get (maybe 3-6 months later then all the others) the 2.2 (Froyo) update...you will get future updates by Google and not by htc anymore...and if i get 2.2 on my Legend i am happy...

Guest starfarer
Because after you get (maybe 3-6 months later then all the others) the 2.2 (Froyo) update...you will get future updates by Google and not by htc anymore...and if i get 2.2 on my Legend i am happy...

B) I'm not eager to go in drain of rumours until I actually see happening. I would love to come back in 6 months to reply here if anyhow comes out to be different(same as Hero) :blink: :P :D :huh:

A bit off but How is your HD2 doing compare to Hero? Damn seriously, I miss WinMo now. Despite OS having few problem, you can almost do anything possible within the processing power , lots of support, lots of different ports and everyone's look completely different. Once we had "Screenshots" thread here, and most interesting part was to see what's in extra home screens :o . Can't remember but most struggled to put anything in 5-7. Don't use Hero that much these days (gone back to Nokia N82) but I've got 3 home screens empty after running out of idea B). Saving few quids and keeping Hero intact for sale.

Edited by starfarer

Guest Blackfish
A bit off but How is your HD2 doing compare to Hero? Damn seriously, I miss WinMo now.

I hate the HD2...this thing is 0.2 inch to big...damn fast, nice sense UI and anything is great...but the size...you love it for 1-2 weeks but then you will start to hate this thing...

Anyway i will touch Windows Phone again when the first WP7 devices ship...love what i have seen so far...great OS...Android like Multitasking rocks...

Guest Xtiro
The N1 is just an older chassis version of the Desire. Besides, the N1 has been shown to have numerous problems wrt. 3G reception which COULD be a hardware issue (Which I believe was fixed with the Desire?). OH AND PLUS, check sites like expansys, The desire is £440, the N1 is £585. Severely not worth it.

And you could always stick a non-Sense ROM on the desire if that's what you wanted.