Eclair will release in June

Guest crabman

Guest crabman

On the popular german website chip.de, came an article today, which says that Eclair for the Hero will release in June and not on 26. april ^^

Check it out for your own:

1. german original http://www.chip.de/news/HTC-Hero-Update-au...i_42555633.html

2. english translated http://translate.google.de/translate?js=y&...sl=de&tl=en

greez crapman ;-)

Edited by crabman

Guest MagnusPedersen
On the popular german website chip.de, came an article today, which says that Eclair for the Hero will release in June and not on 26. april ^^

Check it out for your own:

1. german original http://www.chip.de/news/HTC-Hero-Update-au...i_42555633.html

2. english translated http://translate.google.de/translate?js=y&...sl=de&tl=en

greez crapman ;-)

Not very much information on where they have that information from...

Guest Carl_Brummy
well, is engadget a reliable enough source? (and Tech Radar)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/21/htc-her...une-at-least-i/

why am i not surprised at all, they probably meant june 2011..

I have now installed VillainRom 5.2 (props to him!) and it is unbelievably good, why cant HTC release this, if someone external can produce this with assistance from the community, why can't the actual company themselves do it....it's fast, stable, everything works, and I have the FULL 2.1 sense experience...this is clearly a marketing game to get other product streams going first

or

now google have announced 2.2 that will be the next one, "lets skip 2.1 and go for 2.2......" ;)

IF they do decide to release the official hero 2.1 then I will get it, but until then, I will enjoy 2.1 the unofficial way ;)

Carl.

Guest MrAss69

Mailed HTC and still waiting for an answer...

This's going to become some vapor-ware-sh*t like Duke Nukem Forever -.-

Thinking about getting a refund from HTC so I can go buy myself a Motorola Milestone... Damn ******************************** *.

Guest digitalight

Well words can't describe how annoyed I am with HTC. They said February, then March, then April now June... Sorry but I don't believe it and I think we will be seeing Hell freeze over before it is released.

What baffles me is how people are saying they are really annoyed with HTC having abandoned their customers and just churning out new releases of phones rather than updates. Then in the next sentence saying... right I'm getting a HTC Desire. The same thing is going to happen down the road with that device.

I currently have HTC Hero with MCR 3.2 which I'd just like to say is the best ROM and I think the people that have developed this have done AMAZING! work.

The phone does what I want it to do, make calls, send email, sync calendar and internet so I'm probably going to be sticking with MCR 3 for quite a while.

But I do know now that my next phone will not be a HTC.

Dare I say it, Apple seem to be taking more care of their customers at the moment with updates than HTC. I didn't think I'd ever say it but the iPhone is looking more of an attractive alternative for people who want better support on a phone.

Thats my two cents ;)

Edited by digitalight

Guest dwattsy21

Blady hell that is quite annoying. I'm pretty happy with my hero as it is, but it's annoying that they keep saying the update will be out in feb... march... april, no June. Hopefully it will get released in Taiwan or something earlier, so maybe a few custom ROMs will be able to be developed from them?

Guest venturerider
I currently have HTC Hero with MCR 3.2 which I'd just like to say is the best ROM and I think the people that have developed this have done AMAZING! work.

Just try running Flixster on your 1.5 and see. For me, it only works properly on 2.1. I'm running VillainROM 5.22 at the moment. It's probably the best 2.1 ROM out there, yet it still has a few issues.

Guest JamesKing

Does anyone else think that maybe this delay is because they want to put Android 2.2 (or whatever Froyo becomes called) on to the Heros?

Guest dwattsy21

with the 2.1 roms on the hero, has anybody tried the google satnav? as in the free satnav part of google maps that is now available on the desire etc?

Guest lundefugl
with the 2.1 roms on the hero, has anybody tried the google satnav? as in the free satnav part of google maps that is now available on the desire etc?

I'm using the Legendary 1.3.5 ROM with Google Maps Navigation working fine with the [brut] version of Google Maps.

I'm living outside US/UK so the navigation part is disabled in the normal version of GMaps.

Guest cezent
Does anyone else think that maybe this delay is because they want to put Android 2.2 (or whatever Froyo becomes called) on to the Heros?

No, they are actually working on putting Android 99999.999999 on Hero, in June 3999 perhaps? if they havent gone out of business by then

Guest akusokuzan

I switched over from my samsung omnia 2 to the hero because 2.1 was supposed to come out in april. HTC was supposed to support their phones more than samsung. boy was i wrong...they're the same.

Guest Don/Donald/Donnie

So, the update slated for April has now been pushed to June and is, in my cynical eyes, a ploy to get those who thrive on early adoption to buy the new hardware. I almost did and fully expect in 6 months time the same will be happening for Legend and Desire users.

Delayed OS updates, when they would bring massive OS functionality improvements, should be factored into product lifecycles of smartphones … it should not be an afterthought.

I will not buy, nor will I recommend others buy, any hardware from HTC for the simple reason that I believe they are misguided in their approach to Android. This OS cannot be compared to WM or Symbian, this was supposed to be a game-changer. HTC, in my opinion, have failed to capitalise on what could have been a very successful range by adopting a customer-focused deployment where software (Android) is key … (why should I now love Android when I can't get Navigation or Goggles unless I: ...

A. Root my phone and void warranty

B. Buy a new Android powered phone)

Instead it appears from their current behaviour they simply want to flood the mobile phone market with Android powered handsets which, within less than 6 months, become a very expensive vessel for some outdated version of software.

I'm sure it's lining the pockets of HTC very well and I don't begrudge them their success (much) but I'd like to see their focus shift to developing the Android platform on their existing hardware and monetising that way. I think the future succes of HTC and Android depends on that.

Guest sveintore
I'll be switching to Apple. A bit tired of the "support" from both HTC and Google.

Did the switch two weeks ago.. Now I'm just pissed that I ever went for the Hero instead of the iPhone last year.

Haven't been this satisfied with a product ever before :huh:

Guest Kalle Falter

yeah, one of the things I really like about the iPhone is how easy you can personalize it: like taking a picture of your girlfriend and choose it as a background picture. Or just connect to a USB port and share your MP3s with friends... I could go on :huh:

Seriously, I had an iPhone before, I had to use it as it was a company phone, and although I got it for free and used it mostly privately, I still got angry about it all the time as it doesn't seem to be able to use at least one of the hardware features without restraints. Without jailbreak absolutely useless imo. But what kind of device is this where you have to void your warranty first just to be able to use some standard features every phone for 50 bugs has had for years?

I think the Hero is superior. Even if Android 1.5 is considered as a BETA release of the OS itself, it has more functionality even with a stock ROM. But you can't argue about taste... while we're at it: imho "i" stands for idiot; if it's iMac - Pod - Pad - whatever...

ps: I'd liked to wait on MoDaCo 4, but when I saw Villain 5.3 had LiveWallpapers with Sense running I couldn't resist!

Guest cezent
yeah, one of the things I really like about the iPhone is how easy you can personalize it: like taking a picture of your girlfriend and choose it as a background picture. Or just connect to a USB port and share your MP3s with friends... I could go on :huh:

Seriously, I had an iPhone before, I had to use it as it was a company phone, and although I got it for free and used it mostly privately, I still got angry about it all the time as it doesn't seem to be able to use at least one of the hardware features without restraints. Without jailbreak absolutely useless imo. But what kind of device is this where you have to void your warranty first just to be able to use some standard features every phone for 50 bugs has had for years?

I think the Hero is superior. Even if Android 1.5 is considered as a BETA release of the OS itself, it has more functionality even with a stock ROM. But you can't argue about taste... while we're at it: imho "i" stands for idiot; if it's iMac - Pod - Pad - whatever...

ps: I'd liked to wait on MoDaCo 4, but when I saw Villain 5.3 had LiveWallpapers with Sense running I couldn't resist!

Last time I had the iphone in my pocket it heated up so badly i couldnt bear the danger of not having any children in the future.

since then, iphone no way in hell.

Guest Don/Donald/Donnie

My Android has a stock background image (possibly because I have no girlfriend and my boyfriend is not photogenic, something to do with his bald patch) and never gets used as a media player (I have my iPod for that) so contains no MP3 files I could share with friends. I have dreadful taste in music though so it's unlikely anyone would want a copy anyway.

Unlike you, I have never owned an iPhone in order to compare it but I have owned a Hero long enough to feel, humbly, that HTC haven't got things quite right in their Android stable, my belief is that the process for updating Android handsets needs to be factored in to the equation when they are being designed. I imagine some users of other Android phones might feel the same about their hardware manufacturer.

I do own an iPod touch and I now use it more that the Hero simply because the quality of the applications, in my opinion, is richer. Each to their own though, smartphones and portable media players are just as individual as briefs or boxers. We can argue about which is best but at the end of the day you just need to feel comfortable with your choice. I can't tell you that Hero is better than iPhone and vice versa, it's all about personal choice.

One point that I will agree, to a degree, with you is about voiding warranty, and I admit that I have had to void my warranty to get functionality with my Hero, same as you have for you to get Live Wallpapers on your Hero. Same as anyone who wants any application that requires a 1.6 or above ROM. In a forum about rooting your phone and applying custom modified ROMs I think we're unlikely to find anyone who is yet to void the warranty on their phone.

Guest Flex82
Well words can't describe how annoyed I am with HTC. They said February, then March, then April now June... Sorry but I don't believe it and I think we will be seeing Hell freeze over before it is released.

What baffles me is how people are saying they are really annoyed with HTC having abandoned their customers and just churning out new releases of phones rather than updates. Then in the next sentence saying... right I'm getting a HTC Desire. The same thing is going to happen down the road with that device.

The phone does what I want it to do, make calls, send email, sync calendar and internet so I'm probably going to be sticking with MCR 3 for quite a while.

But I do know now that my next phone will not be a HTC.

Dare I say it, Apple seem to be taking more care of their customers at the moment with updates than HTC. I didn't think I'd ever say it but the iPhone is looking more of an attractive alternative for people who want better support on a phone.

Thats my two cents :huh:

Seriously the Hero was the first phone which really rivalled the iPhone, and was an incredible phone. Now it has been left in the dust by newer devices, and left me as a disgruntled HTC owner. Fragmented OS on various phones is not the way forward, why shouldn't I have access to all the features that 2.1 owners get, hell even iphone owners will get Google Maps Sat Nav before us.

It's absolutely pathetic. I chose the Hero because I believe the in the princebles of an open OS, but I am no fanboy. Perhaps Apple will be seeing my money in the future.

3GS owners aren't getting screwed, and are getting the new OS so why doesn't HTC show it's customers the same level of support?