UNDERSTANDING MY CUSTOM ROMS
If you are confused with my custom ROMs, this post will be a big help for you MEGAlite
- pertains to my custom ROM with free ROM 200-300+Mb, Samsung/WM apps removed and pagepool lower than 10mb.FULL
- many cooks use this term, pertains a ROM with no major files where removed from the ROM, so all original apps/files are included, while having OS or WM build updated.
- pertains to the PDA Version the ROM is based. I'm currently using XXIL2, but planning to use JC1 OS VERSION & WM BUILDS
There are 2 OS version available for our device:Windows Mobile 6.1
- Older OS; tried and tested; stylus oriented; development has endedWindows Mobile 6.5
- Recent OS; Finger Friendly; Eye Candy; Memory Management; development continuesBuilds
You can check your WM build in Setting/Sytem/About
This is the Windows Mobile Operating System Build. Different build numbers pertains to different WM version developments. A larger build number doesn't mean it's the latest.
In theory, newer builds will fix some bugs from the older builds and add some major/minor enhancement in the system, but in reality this is not the case.
Newer builds might be buggier than older ones. When builds are released (or more appropriately, leaked
), there are no documentations included, so the only way to know if the build is stable or not is to cook them, flash and test. That's why bug reports are always welcome
What OS/build to use?
It really depends preferences but these are my thoughts...Windows Mobile 6.16.1
- Again tried and tested and stable, most third party apps are compatible with this OS
*21056 - last known 6.1 build
Windows Mobile 6.5.x
WM 6.5.X goal is to gradually take stylus use away (development towards a finger friendly OS),modern UI and some System enhancement(?).
Some B7610 came out from the box with WM 6.5WM 6.5
- finger-friendly;3 stars, most third party apps are still compatible with this OS, MOST STABLE IN THE WM 6.5 developments. Samsung Xclose button works.
*21895- my custom build (i think it's newer than JC2, though 21889 is polished more for B7610)
*21889- from Official JC2
-finger-friendly;4 stars, third party apps are compatible, but may have problems with screen alignment, added new bottom bar, updated IE,not much UI graphics changed (almost same as 6.5). Still no Official 6.5.3 update for B7610. Developments are still ongoing with 6.5.3.
*Hybrid ROM 6.5.3- i8000 Official 6.5.3 ported to B7610, including some drivers and Samsung Apps.WM 6.5.5
-finger-friendly;5 stars,third party apps are compatible, but may have problems with screen alignment, UI and graphics were completely changed (eye candy
), updated WM apps. Development is ongoing and fast towards to the maybe last WM 6.5.x, WM 6.5.6/7
*Megalite 6.5.5 23545- discontinued, but if you like it, i'll update it
*Megalite 6.5.5 23547- fast, better memory management
*Megalite 6.5.5 23549- faster, though may eat more memory