Will there be a MCR based on 2.1

Guest DaanJordaan

Guest venturerider
which is the best custom rom based on 2.1? can you please suggest me a good one?

thank you!

VillainROM 5.3. There is a 5.4 but some people are not happy with the way it's themed. 5.3 works great for me.

Guest kendon
VillainROM 5.3. There is a 5.4 but some people are not happy with the way it's themed. 5.3 works great for me.

5.3 has a kitchen i can highly suggest :huh:

Guest Dan Mullen
5.3 has a kitchen i can highly suggest :huh:

Wonder why you're recommending that...? :P Seriously, good work.

Out of interest, I'm keen to try a 2.1 ROM and Villain seems to come highly recommended by quite a few people. However, I've also read quite a lot of reports regarding a number of issues people are having. In your opinion Kendon, which is the best ROM to try (5.3/5.4?) and what are the issues that still remain?

Cheers,

Dan

Guest DarthOps
Wonder why you're recommending that...? :P Seriously, good work.

Out of interest, I'm keen to try a 2.1 ROM and Villain seems to come highly recommended by quite a few people. However, I've also read quite a lot of reports regarding a number of issues people are having. In your opinion Kendon, which is the best ROM to try (5.3/5.4?) and what are the issues that still remain?

Cheers,

Dan

Well, I've recently fired up Villain 5.3 (and now 5.4) and I can honestly say that I love it, I am a long time user of the custom modaco rom and was getting a little bored even although it works perfectly.

There are 3 things that really niggle with the Villain rom as it stands,

1) you have to apply an MMS fix to be able to send and receive mms

2) despite a fix being released, I'm still having trouble with the camera (it has a greenish tint to it)

3) No voicemail notification icon, this one has no workaround at the moment and its the biggest problem for me, I've already had a few people upset because they think I'm ignoring them :blink:

As I said, 1 and 2 above are not big issues for me, I've fixed the mms settings and have managed to make the camera not so green by applying the fix.

All in all, I think that this is the best 2.1 rom I've tried, it's fast, has a built in auto-update application in 5.4 and looks great. I'm not sure about the battery life though as my phone has been plugged in for most of the time I've been trying out the rom :huh:

Edited by DarthOps

Guest Dan Mullen
Well, I've recently fired up Villain 5.3 (and now 5.4) and I can honestly say that I love it, I am a long time user of the custom modaco rom and was getting a little bored even although it works perfectly.

There are 3 things that really niggle with the Villain rom as it stands,

1) you have to apply an MMS fix to be able to send and receive mms

2) despite a fix being released, I'm still having trouble with the camera (it has a greenish tint to it)

3) No voicemail notification icon, this one has no workaround at the moment and its the biggest problem for me, I've already had a few people upset because they think I'm ignoring them :blink:

As I said, 1 and 2 above are not big issues for me, I've fixed the mms settings and have managed to make the camera not so green by applying the fix.

All in all, I think that this is the best 2.1 rom I've tried, it's fast, has a built in auto-update application in 5.4 and looks great. I'm not sure about the battery life though as my phone has been plugged in for most of the time I've been trying out the rom :huh:

Thanks for the info :P I've read about the MMS bug and also another "split messages" issue, (whatever that is). I've also seen complaints about the lack of voicemail notification. It's little things like this that stop me biting the bullet and trying out a 2.1 ROM. I know it's just a case of doing a nandroid backup and restoring if I don't like it, but I know for a fact that I won't be happy with a ROM with these sort of bugs.

Guest jpool

No, the SenseVillain theme on 5.4 is not to my liking. Personally I think SenseHero 2.1 is the best 2.1 ROM around at the mo, but that's just my opinion :huh:

Guest CitizenLee
Personally I think SenseHero 2.1 is the best 2.1 ROM around at the mo, but that's just my opinion :huh:

I would have to agree with that.

I was a huge fan of SenseHero 1.4, so much so I skipped 1.6. I'm now running SenseHero 2.1 v2 and it really is awesome! It's fast, stable, smooth and looks great. Friendstream works, as does GPS, 3D Gallery, Market etc etc.

If anyone is keen to try a 2.1 ROM then I'd urge you to give that one a try (at your own risk of course) :P

The only small issue I found is you can't hide SIM contacts but that's not really a big deal for me. I'm not 100% certain, but I think it might be a issue with all 2.1 ROMs.

The other ROM I'm keeping a close eye on is Chobus 4.0 Expresso which is based on the MyTouch3G Slide leak. Still a few too many issues for me to use it daily but it certainly looks very promising!

Who needs HTC for updates?

Guest kendon

all the 2.1 roms aren't bugfree, sadly. tbh i don't use such things as voicemail, mms or the camera that much that it would bother me. i find myself restoring my nandroid when my battery is drained after 6 hours, or when i need to use gps on a regular basis, stuff like that. so don't ask me for usability reports, i use the hero mainly for playing and toying around, which is also the reason why i built the kitchen :P

villain5.2 is the first 2.1 rom that was a keeper for me, i am using it now for a few days. just updated to 5.3, which also works fine, with the known bugs/flaws.

if you want to test it, have a look at the threads at villainrom.co.uk, you can see ppl bitchin :blink: about the most common problems there. see if that could cause problems for your daily usage.

as for the 5.4 theme issue: 5.3 doesn't differ that much from 5.4, except for the theme. you can safely use 5.3 or a rom from the current kitchen release k2 instead :huh:

The only small issue I found is you can't hide SIM contacts but that's not really a big deal for me. I'm not 100% certain, but I think it might be a issue with all 2.1 ROMs.

It isn't. It is an issue with all ROMs based on a CDMA ROM. CDMA, unlike GSM, doesn't use a sim card. Consequently CDMA ROMs know nothing about sim contacts & offer no options to control them.

Guest CitizenLee
It isn't. It is an issue with all ROMs based on a CDMA ROM. CDMA, unlike GSM, doesn't use a sim card. Consequently CDMA ROMs know nothing about sim contacts & offer no options to control them.

Thanks for clearing that up :huh:

To get around it I just made a back up of all my contacts and then transferred them to the phone before finally deleting from SIM (I prefer not to sync with my Gmail contacts).

Apart from that I'd say SenseHero 2.1 v2 is pretty much flawless. Definitely a good day to day ROM and I do use most of the features... camera, gps, wifi, etc etc, as I said above.

Battery seems to be holding out pretty well too, although I did do this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=670999

Guest Involver

I'm running BeHero v1.3.2, which is Legend 2.1 based. No problems whatsoever and I came from MCR 3.2. Battery lasts about 2 days under normal use (GPS and WiFi on) and it's fast (enough). Occasional lag because the Hero only has so much memory, so ATK is a must have...

Guest masterpfa

Having been a fan of AychTeeSee's Vanilla ROM, I wanted to try 2.1 but with a Vanilla theme. For a while I was using 1.0 cyanogenMOD for Hero plus a few others before settling for VanillaEclair 1.3 NAS

For me ideal and very stable :huh:

Edited by masterpfa

Guest venturerider
Having been a fan of AychTeeSee's Vanilla ROM, I wanted to try 2.1 but with a Vanilla theme. For a while I was using 1.0 cyanogenMOD for Hero plus a few others before settling for VanillaEclair 1.3 NAS

For me ideal and very stable :huh:

The AOSP 2.1 ROMs are nice, but none of them have functioning Bluetooth audio during phone calls.

Guest masterpfa
The AOSP 2.1 ROMs are nice, but none of them have functioning Bluetooth audio during phone calls.

Agreed, along with one or two other issues, but I find for my use (don't use BT) it works fine

Guest jon.m.knight

posted this in the 3.2 Thread with no reply...

Bit of confusion when MCR v4 (2.1 base) will be available to us to download...

I'm assuming that the work has already been done and Paul is just going to release 2.1base in line with the official update?

If the above is the case is it likely to be made available to us to download when the first lot of 2.1 rolls out (likely to be USA's Sprint on 7th May from sources I've read?) If not - when will Paul be releasing it; when all the carriers have rolled out their updates?

If the build isn't complete yet is there any indication of how long it'll take to sort out a 2.1 build of MCR?

Thanks, in anticipation.

Guest venturerider

It's not confusing at all:

1. Paul gets his hands on the official HTC release

2. Paul cooks it

3. Paul releases it

Quite simple.

Guest megaoptimus
posted this in the 3.2 Thread with no reply...

Bit of confusion when MCR v4 (2.1 base) will be available to us to download...

I'm assuming that the work has already been done and Paul is just going to release 2.1base in line with the official update?

If the above is the case is it likely to be made available to us to download when the first lot of 2.1 rolls out (likely to be USA's Sprint on 7th May from sources I've read?) If not - when will Paul be releasing it; when all the carriers have rolled out their updates?

If the build isn't complete yet is there any indication of how long it'll take to sort out a 2.1 build of MCR?

Thanks, in anticipation.

wow, dude. Impatient much? Here's the answer: In the fullness of time. Paul has been good about releasing his updates when HTC provides the updated kernels and what not; when this happens Paul will make MCR 2.1 happen and we can all jump for joy. Knowing exactly when this is going to happen or not isn't going to effect your life save perhaps your decision in getting a different phone if you're considering it. I've tried the 2.1 roms that are currently available but honestly I prefer MCR 3.2 despite the added functions of 2.1.

Guest jonathanmusto
wow, dude. Impatient much? Here's the answer: In the fullness of time. Paul has been good about releasing his updates when HTC provides the updated kernels and what not; when this happens Paul will make MCR 2.1 happen and we can all jump for joy. Knowing exactly when this is going to happen or not isn't going to effect your life save perhaps your decision in getting a different phone if you're considering it. I've tried the 2.1 roms that are currently available but honestly I prefer MCR 3.2 despite the added functions of 2.1.

There seems to be a lot of "Paul will..." in this forum, but nothing from the man himself?...

When HTC do ship 2.1, if i'm still alive and mobile phones are still relevent.. i.e. we are not all comunicating by chips implanted into our brains, then i'd be happy with with simple rooted / apps2sd version from Paul... nothing too fancy! (Only if he can take time away from rooting custom brain chip roms)

Guest jon.m.knight

Apologies for seeming impatient; I wasn't aware how the process works - hence my statement about being confusion whether the work has already been done. Wasn't aware that it takes the official HTC release for Paul to rip the kernal, for some reason assumed that as there are already 2.1 releases (which thinking about it are now just ports of other 2.1 kernals) the MCR 2.1 version is ready - and he was only delaying it out of courtesy to HTC :-/

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, like yourself I'm loving 3.2 and am quite prepared to wait for MCR 2.1

Guest megaoptimus
Apologies for seeming impatient; I wasn't aware how the process works - hence my statement about being confusion whether the work has already been done. Wasn't aware that it takes the official HTC release for Paul to rip the kernal, for some reason assumed that as there are already 2.1 releases (which thinking about it are now just ports of other 2.1 kernals) the MCR 2.1 version is ready - and he was only delaying it out of courtesy to HTC :-/

Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, like yourself I'm loving 3.2 and am quite prepared to wait for MCR 2.1

2.1 you're referring to is a release for one of the newer android phones that has been hacked and tweaked to make it work on the hero. I tried them and it gives a nice taste for what can be expected but it's not worthy of a full time install in my opinion. IF sprint releases their CDMA 2.1 update, that rom will be a much better template for a 2.1 mcr if Paul is so inclined to do so. Last I heard, Paul could turn water into various alcoholic beverages and s***.