Issues with USB connectivity etc. and root / A2SD

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul

I understand a small subset of root users are having issues with Issues with USB connectivity etc. post root when using A2SD.

I am not around much this weekend, however when i'm back in the office i'll be looking at the problem as my top priority.

P

Guest Paul

I really really thoroughly tested the root a bunch of times including the A2SD bit, so i'm kinda confused and that topic isn't very clear about the problem...

P

Guest Biliskner

For posterity if nothing else....

Using Root Method 1:

0. Made Goldcard - OK.

1. Flash TestRUU via Windows - OK.

2. Run recovery-linux.sh via Linux - OK.

3. Gain recovery access on phone (green menu) - OK.

4. Flashed rootedupdate.zip via SD Card - OK.

4b. Reboot

5. Flashed r1-a2sd.zip via Recovery Mode (recovery-linux.sh) on SD Card - OK.

5b. Reboot

6. Phone loaded. Sense UI loaded. Swipe a few times (through the screens) - OK.

6b. Turn off.

6c. Swap in 8GB non-gold card.

From here on end, I'm not quite sure of the sequence of events, I MAY have partitioned my SD Card BEFORE I tried booting the phone...

7 Turn on.

7b. Boot Loop (QUIETLY BRILLIA....)

7c. Boot Loop 2 (auto reset), QUIETLY BRI.... (a few more letters are missing)

7d. Step 7c endlessly loops.

8. Plug into Linux, run recovery-linux.sh

8b. In Recovery Green Menu go to SDCard and partiton into 2, 512mb and 7.5gb

8c. Convert ext2 -> ext3

8d. Reboot

Repeat 7. -> 7d. :S

9. Plug into Linux, run recovery-linux.sh, BAM! "ERROR, DEVICE NOT FOUND."

Caveat: step 8 - 8d. MIGHT be BEFORE step 7 - 7d. ---- I cannot remember.

Guest Biliskner

Oh yes, after this, it endlessly loops on me for a few hours (whilst I tried r2 release when it came out) - that's when i posted in the other thread about FAILURE: hboot 90 flush image immediately etc. problem).

About 1am, I CLEAR STORAGE (not sure why I didn't do that earlier).

This got rid of the boot loop and booted fine. No USB, No SIM, No SD Card however... the rest is where we're up to now.

Guest Paul

The 'hboot90 flush image' message is normal and shows in logs of HTC's own RUU updater - that's why my root method flashes twice...?

P

Guest Biliskner
The 'hboot90 flush image' message is normal and shows in logs of HTC's own RUU updater - that's why my root method flashes twice...?

P

Yes I think that was fixed in r3, the error still presented but other things came up on the screen and flashed stage1 successfully (didn't take much notice, I went to make a cup of coffee)!

Guest Odiebla

What happened to me :

- installed root via the original method (mac + windows), went smooth

- installed radio update, went smooth

- installed original a2sd (non dalvik version), went smooth, I partitioned the SD in the phone, connected to Ubuntu VM via gparted, OK

- rebooted phone, all apps moved to new ext3 partition without problems, have been installing various apps, no problem

next day:

- installed new a2sd (dalvik version), not sure if i used the upgrade version or fresh version

- as far as I know I wiped the phone and reinstalled Paul's rooted rom before installing the new a2sd.

- reboot, HTC boot loop ( i realised the goldcard was still in the phone)

- reboot with ext3 sd card

- phone booted, but did not find sd card, no usb too

- adb could no longer see phone, fastboot could

- sd access could be restored with fastboot command, usb still borken

- various attempts via fastboot and with RUU failed, RUU does not recognize phone

- unzipping rom.img from stockrom and renaming it to PB99IMG.zip , adding it to the SD and rebooting in fastboot flashed back my

phone to the stockrom, but USB is still failing

- FM radio seems to fail too

- phone and SIM seems to work fine, no disconnected calls

Guest kecal01

My case

installed root via original method - ok

installer original a2sd - ok , but installed apps eat system memory

next day

installed new a2sd upgrade version

wiped phone via pushed recovery - this is part of my problem i think

reboot

no sdcard

tried to reflash Paul's rooted rom and realize that adb cannot see my device, but fastboot can.

Sdcard was repaired by commands

fastboot oem enableqxdm 0

fastboot reboot

USB via adb , BT , FM radio not working .

Problem with SIM , when phone goes sleep or screen is locked, all connection ( data and voice ) are turn off . I cannot even answer call, couse when i move phone to ear, its display goes off and call is hanged up ( i see signal strenght icon crossed and no data , after a few second signal is ok and after half a minute are data ok )

Edited by kecal01

Guest lesteryh

Hi,

I'm very new to android world, as the HTC desire is my 1st android phone and very lucky I rooted and flashed A2SD successfully with windows only method.(Thanks for those who created the guide.")

Here's something I noticed and don't know if it's the cause of the problem, acording the the A2SD installation guide the last few step as below:

24. Using the optical trackpad, now select "Partition sdcard" -> "Partition SD" and issue a SWAP=0, EXT2=512, FAT32=<remaining> partition command (read carefully the instructions provided on-screen by the procedure, you'll have to use the volume keys too, here).

25. Find and issue the "SD:ext2 to ext3" command.

26. Go back to the Recovery Console main menu and select "Reboot system now". While rebooting, unplug the Desire from the USB port.

When I reached step 26, i selected the reboot command, but instead of rebooting the phone I saw the message says "press trackball to confirm" when i read carefully it actually say press trackball to "Disable USB and MC then returm to main menu", so Im not sure if this will disable USB and SD like the Issue that people is complaining about so what i did is pull out the battery and luckily it boot without problem and got A2SD installed(tested with GScript).

I'm not sure if this is normal but just try to help.

Guest Biliskner
26. Go back to the Recovery Console main menu and select "Reboot system now". While rebooting, unplug the Desire from the USB port.

When I reached step 26, i selected the reboot command, but instead of rebooting the phone I saw the message says "press trackball to confirm" when i read carefully it actually say press trackball to "Disable USB and MC then returm to main menu", so Im not sure if this will disable USB and SD like the Issue that people is complaining about so what i did is pull out the battery and luckily it boot without problem and got A2SD installed(tested with GScript).

I'm not sure if this is normal but just try to help.

Where did you see this "step 26 disable USB and MC"? I don't remember seeing that when I was in the Recovery Menu...

Guest lesteryh
Where did you see this "step 26 disable USB and MC"? I don't remember seeing that when I was in the Recovery Menu...

When I issue reboot command it shows " Press Trachkball to disable USB and MC and return to main menu,"

Guest Biliskner
When I issue reboot command it shows " Press Trachkball to disable USB and MC and return to main menu,"

oh, from Terminal in Linux?

Guest zanshin

What happened to me :

- installed root with the linux cd

- waited and tested a few days

- installed a2sd with dalvik cache to sd

- install was ok

- after reboot sdcard and usb problem appeared

- fix sdcard problem with fastboot command

- stuck with usb problem

- still have access to device with fastboot thought

- afterwards I discovered the other problems:hangup and radio

Guest afiorillo
[...]

When I reached step 26, i selected the reboot command, but instead of rebooting the phone I saw the message says "press trackball to confirm" when i read carefully it actually say press trackball to "Disable USB and MC then returm to main menu" [...]

I urge you to repeat the steps that took you to that point and to shoot a photo of the Desire screen saying that statement: it's very, very important for all people to know what to avoid and how to do it (pulling the battery at the proper time, for instance).

I cannot reproduce that, so there's something with your Desire, SD, PC, environment, and so on that caused that. Your help will be very appreciated.

Thank you.

Guest lesteryh
I urge you to repeat the steps that took you to that point and to shoot a photo of the Desire screen saying that statement: it's very, very important for all people to know what to avoid and how to do it (pulling the battery at the proper time, for instance).

I cannot reproduce that, so there's something with your Desire, SD, PC, environment, and so on that caused that. Your help will be very appreciated.

Thank you.

Now i already having AS2D Flashed and evrything installed and setup. So is it save to flash A2SD again?

Guest kingoffail

Have a quick look at the files that are pushed up to fire up Pauls recovery console, there appears to be a menu option that disables USB via the sbin/ums_toggle script.

This just pokes a Linux sysfs file to disable USB mass storage (echo "" > /sys/devices/platform/usb_mass_storage/lun0/file").

Guest Biliskner
Now i already having AS2D Flashed and evrything installed and setup. So is it save to flash A2SD again?

No we are just interested to see what you saw "step 26 with the "disable usb"" - we want to see it in a photo so we can warn users not to do that, but to avoid the problem.

Guest maximini1

I never saw that on the screen, coz after I flash it, I used to choose Power Off rather than reboot at once. Everything goes alright till now~

Guest afiorillo
No we are just interested to see what you saw "step 26 with the "disable usb"" - we want to see it in a photo so we can warn users not to do that, but to avoid the problem.

Right.

@lesteryh: I know that asking you to re-flash your Desire only to take some photos is a tough question, and I won't do that. But all the help you can provide without putting your baby at risk will be very appreciated. :huh:

Edited by afiorillo

Guest afiorillo

Just for the records, and for comparisons, here's the "regular" output from pushfiles_windows.zip:

E:\Desire\Root\pushfiles>recovery-windows.bat

E:\Desire\Root\pushfiles>adb-nilezon push files /

adb server is out of date.  killing...

* daemon started successfully *

push: files/system/bin/linker -> /system/bin/linker

push: files/system/bin/sh -> /system/bin/sh

push: files/system/lib/libm.so -> /system/lib/libm.so

push: files/system/lib/libc.so -> /system/lib/libc.so

push: files/system/lib/libstdc++.so -> /system/lib/libstdc++.so

push: files/system/lib/libcutils.so -> /system/lib/libcutils.so

push: files/system/lib/liblog.so -> /system/lib/liblog.so

push: files/etc/mtab -> /etc/mtab

push: files/etc/fstab -> /etc/fstab

push: files/sbin/fs -> /sbin/fs

push: files/sbin/dump_image -> /sbin/dump_image

push: files/sbin/um -> /sbin/um

push: files/sbin/tune2fs -> /sbin/tune2fs

push: files/sbin/toolbox -> /sbin/toolbox

push: files/sbin/sdparted -> /sbin/sdparted

push: files/sbin/fix_permissions -> /sbin/fix_permissions

push: files/sbin/recovery -> /sbin/recovery

push: files/sbin/mkyaffs2image -> /sbin/mkyaffs2image

push: files/sbin/busybox -> /sbin/busybox

push: files/sbin/backuptool.sh -> /sbin/backuptool.sh

push: files/sbin/log2sd -> /sbin/log2sd

push: files/sbin/nandroid-mobile.sh -> /sbin/nandroid-mobile.sh

push: files/sbin/adbd -> /sbin/adbd

push: files/sbin/e2fsck -> /sbin/e2fsck

push: files/sbin/unyaffs -> /sbin/unyaffs

push: files/sbin/ums_toggle -> /sbin/ums_toggle

push: files/sbin/flash_image -> /sbin/flash_image

push: files/sbin/mke2fs -> /sbin/mke2fs

push: files/sbin/reboot -> /sbin/reboot

push: files/sbin/parted -> /sbin/parted

push: files/sbin/wipe -> /sbin/wipe

31 files pushed. 0 files skipped.

1637 KB/s (3709881 bytes in 2.213s)

E:\Desire\Root\pushfiles>adb-nilezon shell busybox --install /sbin

E:\Desire\Root\pushfiles>adb-nilezon shell recovery

Guest dimor

hey guys,

i'm in the same situation - i flashed with paul's tutorial and everything was working fine.

i think it all started going bad when i tried to apply the app2sd-fresh update. while flashing it (the screen with the green progress bar) there were a few error on the screen, after seeing that the progress bar is stuck for a really long time, i had to take a chance and take the battery out of the phone in order to restart it. from that moment no matter how many roms i tried (and i tried to reflash the device a lot of times since then), nothing helps - i've got no usb (though fastboot DOES work and the windows/linux does recognize the device correctly) or BT (it just won't turn on... :huh: )

if there's anything i can do to make things clearer so you might have a clue how to fix it...