How much time after launch in your country did B7610 was upgraded to WM 6.5?

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

Hi Everyone,

I live in India and recently purchased this phone after drooling for it for about 4 months. Now in my country Samsung hasn't launched any WM 6.5 update yet nor are they ready to tell when one can expect it. I contacted customer care many times, but all I get is the same "coming soon" response.

I tried flashing roms launched in other countries by taking out nb0 file from the MST but since in Omnia, eboot sets the pagepool and memory settings at runtime, I get very low RAM (about 20-22 MB after some usage).

Therefore, I wanted to know that in countries where this phone was launched with WinMO 6.1, after how much time did you guys got the 6.5 upgrade?

Please provide your feedback so that I can stop feeling anxious about it, and it may also help others as well. Thanks in advance for your valuable time guys. :huh:

Guest 20x

I got this phone in India about five months back and it came with winmo 6.1.

Soon I took to service centre and got it upgraded to 6.5, but it was a generic version. Officially though this upgrade isn't anywhere on samsung india's site.

But, memory utilisation isn't that great and is a known issue. So I have shifted over to various hacked roms like that of daskalos and now what I get is stability and enough free ram too.

Guest darthveda

when you have rom cookers like daskalos, you can forget about the official ROM availability mate. I have flashed his 6.5 the very week I bought my phone and not looked back.

Guest ajeshm

True mate! I too leave in India. I got my B7610 with Win 6.1 but the next day itself I flashed it with Daskolas Megalite 6.5.5 Build 23549. It has a very good Memory management and I installed HTC 2.5 Sense over it for which I get 40-50mb Free Memory. I am using the Hybrid 2.5 Rom for last days and I am liking it but Only problem is the space concern as it has no space to install HTC Sense 2.5. Daskolas ROMs are gr8. Thanks to Daskolas!

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

Thanks for the replies guys. Really appreciate that. The point is not that I cannot use custom roms, i made a rom for myself within 2 days of buying this phone, so that is not an issue.

The thing I want to know is that what is the average time period for samsung to launch 6.5 update for this phone worldwide? The thing is, I like the samsung apps that come with this device (except for the menu, its ram usage sucks!) and want to use a rom as official as I can.

Now the problem is, the roms I create myself have low memory if i make them fully loaded and no matter what page pool I set, the Eboot of 6.1 automatically sets it to 20 MB which lowers my available ram. The thing I want is basically an official EBoot and CSC made for 6.5 India. Once I get that, I will start the ball rolling and make+share some custom roms myself.

So my question still remains : What is the worldwide average time period for Samsung to launch 6.5 update for this phone, from the time of release?

Guest 20x
So my question still remains : What is the worldwide average time period for Samsung to launch 6.5 update for this phone, from the time of release?

We got 6.5 only in the form of JC2 and it is way behind i8000's release.

Samsung isn't bothered to update this phone. Firmware updates are being released for Europe and even Singapore etc. well in time, but India still lags....

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj
We got 6.5 only in the form of JC2 and it is way behind i8000's release.

Samsung isn't bothered to update this phone. Firmware updates are being released for Europe and even Singapore etc. well in time, but India still lags....

Oh thats sad to hear. Thats why Windows Mobile has unable to gain loyalty in countries like India. Look at Nokia, they shell out updates even for their low end phones within a month after problem has been found in the firmware and this is one of the most expensive devices by Samsung and still they are so ignorant about it.

I request everybody from India in this forum to bombard samsung customer care with emails regarding this issue. Make them aware of the community we are having here so that they may speed up the work. Its quiet frustrating that after buying such a high end phone, I am still starving to get WM 6.5 on it. Even my HTC P3400i was better in this regard. Atleast I was able to flash my custom made solutions easily.

:DISAPPOINTED: :P

UPDATE: Ok, I have again sent a (hate) mail to Samsung India customer care quoting my Right to Information :huh: Let's see what they have to say this time.

Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest boyong

Here in the Philippines, I really don't know when b7610 was released but I got mine last February and it was already wm 6.5

Guest gauravv

Samsung and other co. are not serious about India.......samsung have good products but worse after sale services!!!......they can easily beat tokia's i.e nokia

Guest passion_streak

thats soooooo true SAMSUNG HAS WORST AFTER SALES SERVICE !!!! i had a problem with the phone & i started this thread http://www.modaco.com/content/b7610-omnia-...d-card-problem/

and i contacted samsung several times but they did nothing coz it wasnt a hardware fault . It was faulty OS , but guess what they didnt had any upgrade of the OS . All they offered me was to change the motherboard of the phone ,my phone was just 1 month old then and I was like WTF !!! then i saw daskalos rom & flashed it on my phone and guess what MY PROBLEM WAS GONE ..

Guest 20x
UPDATE: Ok, I have again sent a (hate) mail to Samsung India customer care quoting my Right to Information :huh: Let's see what they have to say this time.

Ah ha, RTI at work! Great job. I wonder what sort of reply they come up with.

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

Ah quoting RTI does shakes up things a bit these days :P I got a reply from Samsung, this time they didn't said their usual "The phone is upgradable to WM 6.5 when it is released, please bear with us till then.", they were simply not in a position to do so.

My mail has been forwarded to the technical staff this time and I will be contacted by them within next 2 business days. Atleast, this is a little bit better than the "stock customer care replies" :blink:

Fingers crossed for now :huh:

Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj

hai sumit

do u have the csc file and the eboot file of the original samsung indian rom

!!

if so can u please upload them for me yaar i lost those!!

Edited by Guest

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj
hai sumit

do u have the csc file and the eboot file of the original samsung indian rom

!!

if so can u please upload them for me yaar i lost those!!

I do have the eboot and pda parts as well as the original MST file, but I dont know how to extract CSC. Do you have any idea? My phone still has the original CSC, but how to extract it?

@Everybody : Sigh! No reply from Samsung "Technical Staff" yet. I guess I'll have to contact them myself another time :P

Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest suman_pal78
Hi Everyone,

I live in India and recently purchased this phone after drooling for it for about 4 months. Now in my country Samsung hasn't launched any WM 6.5 update yet nor are they ready to tell when one can expect it. I contacted customer care many times, but all I get is the same "coming soon" response.

I tried flashing roms launched in other countries by taking out nb0 file from the MST but since in Omnia, eboot sets the pagepool and memory settings at runtime, I get very low RAM (about 20-22 MB after some usage).

Therefore, I wanted to know that in countries where this phone was launched with WinMO 6.1, after how much time did you guys got the 6.5 upgrade?

Please provide your feedback so that I can stop feeling anxious about it, and it may also help others as well. Thanks in advance for your valuable time guys. :P

First flash with Eboot, Phone and PDA (nb0) from the official Official B7610NXXJC2 ROM ...restart...soft reset. then again flash with any full rom (this time only nb0 part) from daskaloss (I recommend Daskalos 6.5.3 ROM build 23654)...all memory, phone, crc problem will be solved!!!

me from India

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

@suman_pal78 : How will flashing Only Eboot, Phone and nb0 solve the problem with CSC? The CSC of 6.1, if remains, will again copy things into phone memory and the CSC that comes with the official JC2 ROM does not contains India specific customizations. Can you please elaborate how without flashing the new CSC, the problems related to CSC will be gone?

Are you getting proper incoming call notifications? In my case, the notification window that shows callers id and photo is displayed garbled.

I do have the eboot and pda parts as well as the original MST file, but I dont know how to extract CSC. Do you have any idea? My phone still has the original CSC, but how to extract it?

@Everybody : Sigh! No reply from Samsung "Technical Staff" yet. I guess I'll have to contact them myself another time :P

i think u can do that by using the rodrigofd's o2util.exe !!!

i think but not sure

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj
i think u can do that by using the rodrigofd's o2util.exe !!!

i think but not sure

Nope, I read the documentation and all, of o2util, we can't do it. Actually, The MST/MLI files do not contain the CSC part. All the CSCs available on the forum are taken from the Samsung PC Suite, when it downloads an official update, it downloads the updated CSC also. There is no known way to extract Phone, Eboot and CSC parts from the device itself, yet (words of RodrigoFD himself).

So I think only Samsung can do something about it, or may be a kind soul with knowledge of these things can build an app like dsk_dump.exe to extract CSC part also. :P I am getting disappointed now. With HTC, it was much easier to get the customization partition (called ExtROM) :D :P :P

Now I know some of the changes that my WM 6.1 CSC does on first boot. It copies 3 dlls related to WidgetPlus and Samsung today that break them on the original JC2 ROM, so all one need to do is to delete those 3 files from Windows Folder using resco explorer. The JC2 ROM contains updated copies of these files so after re enabling the Today plugins, the today plugins start to work again.

But the two major problems I am facing are with Windows Mobile 6.5 themes and Caller ID screen. When I apply any theme other than Samsung's Black, my top and bottom bars (bars with start menu and softkeys) dont appear flat, instead they are oval, extruded, round whatever you call them. It ruins the look of whole theme.

Secondly, When a call comes, the caller ID screen appears garbled. I know, in WM 6.1, samsung has customized this screen to show the extra options to send message and disconnect the call, and I think these changes are being applied using CSC. This functionality somehow doesn't work in WM 6.5.

Now I have searched for any DLL file being copied to Windows Folder, but found none. So I think it has something to do with the registry. But without looking at the CSC, I dont know what is being changed.

I am also posting my findings in daskalos's thread, maybe he could help me out :D

Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

UPDATE: Finally found a way to dump the CSC from my phone. I have uploaded it in the following thread for the sake of maintaining relevance :

CSC : B7610INUIJ3

Anybody who needs to analyze it can download and dump it using wes85's RomTool.exe. I do not know whether it is safe for flashing or not but it looks good.

Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

I have contacted the popular website FoneArena.com about this issue, and asked them to publish an article about the irresponsibility of Samsung India. They are positive about it but they want me to first go to the service center personally and ask the guys there about the update.

Now Since I have already flashed my phone with JC2, they may try to p*ss me off over this issue. So I wanted to ask :

Is there anybody in this forum from India, who is running original WM 6.1 ROM and has not flashed any custom/official ones?

If yes, then please try visiting your Samsung service center and ask them for update. Whatever they say, post here and I will let FoneArena.com guys know about it.

Please give your support guys, thats the only way we will get official CSC, Radio and Eboot for Indian phones. Who knows, we might start to get better performance/battery life. :rolleyes:

Edited by Sumit Bhardwaj

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

No one??? or no one cares really?? Should we let Samsung go off with this? I mean, its our right to atleast query them, or not?

Guest tammy89
No one??? or no one cares really?? Should we let Samsung go off with this? I mean, its our right to atleast query them, or not?

I have asked for the update at d start of every month after i purchased d phone in feb....they keep on sayin..nxt month..nxt month...but dat nxt month hasnt cum yet :(

They assured that it'll arrive by d first week of may but still nuthn....

i think we shud contact d customer care centre i.e thru d toll free no...

Guest ednakram
I have contacted the popular website FoneArena.com about this issue, and asked them to publish an article about the irresponsibility of Samsung India. They are positive about it but they want me to first go to the service center personally and ask the guys there about the update.

Now Since I have already flashed my phone with JC2, they may try to p*ss me off over this issue. So I wanted to ask :

Is there anybody in this forum from India, who is running original WM 6.1 ROM and has not flashed any custom/official ones?

If yes, then please try visiting your Samsung service center and ask them for update. Whatever they say, post here and I will let FoneArena.com guys know about it.

Please give your support guys, thats the only way we will get official CSC, Radio and Eboot for Indian phones. Who knows, we might start to get better performance/battery life. :(

I purchased this phone in January in India and it has 6.1, I called up Samsung multiple time and they give same reply - coming soon.

Sumit, can you give me email address where I can forward my complaint.

I am not too comfortable installing custom ROM's because I dont have the time to take care of problems if any that crop up.

But if this inaction by Samsung persists for more than a month or so I will brace myself and take the plunge to install custom ROM.

Guest blue_earth

I also have this device. I shifted from a TyTN II (slow and very buggy) running on 6.1 hoping that a 6.5 update will be available for this device soon, as mentioned in Samsung website. However, this is my 6th month with this device and I can't see any effort on Samsung's part to update this device. I had contacted service center and they said that it is not available yet. E-mailing them is of no avail as Samsung does not respond to customer queries (even HTC Online support is better than Samsung, in India). I'm really beginning to feel cheated and the worst part is that nothing can be done about it :-(

Although the B7610 is a good device, working on WinMo 6.1 was something that I wasn't hoping for, especially after my horrible experience with HTC TyTN II (WILL NEVER EVER PURCHASE HTC AGAIN). I just hope a WinMo 6.5 update is launched before my warranty gets over (I can't deal with the confusing procedures of flashing a custom ROM :))

Guest Sumit Bhardwaj

I think something can be done about it.How about filing a case against Samsung in the consumer court? Let's make it a joint effort, what do you say?