how to set up SD card for A2SD

Guest simaomacaco

Guest simaomacaco

hi guys,

(apologies for newbie questions but i guess others have similar queries)

Anyway.. how can i set up my SD card for A2SD. I have rooted already. Formatted SD card. But format in windows create 1x primary partition. So how can I (step by step please) partition the card into 2 partitions.

TY in advance.

Guest aslocum

just format the sd in recovery with the menu there (the menu from step2 in the root process)

there is an option to format the card.

just do "0" for swap, 512 or 1024 for ext2 and the rest is automatic fat32 (normal sd card space)

then convert ext2 to ext3 (ext3 is safer beacause it is a journaled filesystem)

Guest simaomacaco
So you can set to 1GB? thats what I wanted to do...

I am confused. If i format the card at that stage will i not delete the .zip files that i need on the SD card, i.e. r2-desire-modacocustomrom-withadditions-a2sd+-signed.zip

"When this has completed, your device should be at the 'recovery' screen. Select the 'wipe' option, then select the option to apply an update zip from sdcard, and select 'rootedupdate.zip'. This will take a little while, so go make a nice cup of tea. When the flash has finished, reboot, and you are DONE! "

Confused here?

Guest EddyOS

Flash the custom ROM and once done, reboot into recovery and then format the card

OR

Have a spare card like I have :)

I'll use my GoldCard for the ROM and my 16GB card to setup for App2SD. Should work I assume!!

Edited by EddyOS

Guest EddyOS

Taken from another site:

14. yada yada, step 2, yada, flash ROM...

15. Once flashing is over, select the "Power off" command.

16. Unplug your phone from the PC, and replace the GoldCard sdcard with your normal sdcard.

* Remember to have backed up your normal sdcard before proceeding, as the next step will wipe all data from it.

1. Turn on your phone while holding the volume down button.

2. You will see HBOOT on the screen.

3. Use the volume buttons to move up and down and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

4. You will now see a red triangle on the screen, at this point plug your phone into your PC via your microUSB cable.

5. Double click on recovery-windows.bat inside the pushfiles_windows.zip folder you unzipped as part of the root process.

6. Using the optical trackpad select Partition sdcard > Partition SD

7. Select SWAP=0, EXT2=512 and allow the rest to be FAT32.

8. Select the SD:ext2 to ext3 option in this menu.

9. Go back to the Recovery Console main menu and select Reboot system now. While rebooting, unplug the Desire from the USB port.

10. And thats it! You now have a rooted Desire with apps2sd. Get in!

Edited by EddyOS

• 1 month later...
Guest ascot17

I have A2SD+ running successfully after rooting by phone with the r6 riskfree method. Can someone please explain the steps necessary to flash the MCR3.1 Rom and retain the A2SD+ settings?

- Do I need to reformat the SD card again?

- Will a Titanium Backup or Nandroid backup make reformatting unnecessary?

- What is the difference between the 2 backup methods?

Many thanks to anyone who can help.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rafa1282
Taken from another site:

16. Unplug your phone from the PC, and replace the GoldCard sdcard with your normal sdcard.

* Remember to have backed up your normal sdcard before proceeding, as the next step will wipe all data from it.

3. Use the volume buttons to move up and down and power button to select the RECOVERY option.

4. You will now see a red triangle on the screen, at this point plug your phone into your PC via your microUSB cable.

5. Double click on recovery-windows.bat inside the pushfiles_windows.zip folder you unzipped as part of the root process.

9. Go back to the Recovery Console main menu and select Reboot system now. While rebooting, unplug the Desire from the USB port.

Bro you really helped me on this one

Guest Time Sheep

In fact you could just shrink the FAT32 partition to make room for the EXT3 partition you need. I did that... I mean, copy backup to PC, wipe, new FAT partition, new EXT partition, wipe/format both partitions and copy your backup back... Yawn.

Copy backup to PC. Shrink FAT partition. Create EXT partition. Format (from device) DONE.

^^ Yes still take a backup, things can go terribly wrong when shrinking partitions... Although reading from a flash drive is 1000 times faster than writing to one, so a backup wouldn't be too bad, but putting it back again is unfortunately a pain in the ***

OFC A2SD is a lot easier to set up if you have it in a ROM :lol:

Edited by Time Sheep

Guest kay9jay

MCR R20

im having problem with A2SD (low space warning).

i am new to linux/android.

i set up my sdcard using gparted on puppylinux.

i didnt use clockwordmod/rom manager as it doesnt allow 1024mb for ext3... weird: clockworkmod recovery doesnt boot anyways.

the partitions seem to work properly. /system/sd/app & apps are on sd (checked with Adb Shell).

also, there are mmcblk0p* in dev/block.

i am getting the low space warning and am not able to install more apps... A2SD bug???

maybe a poblem with the script 40a2sd ???

im a a novice i cant find it out. i have rebooted the phone several times already. maybe the script dont free up space on /data?

Guest as4m4df
MCR R20

i didnt use clockwordmod/rom manager as it doesnt allow 1024mb for ext3... weird: clockworkmod recovery doesnt boot anyways.

the partitions seem to work properly. /system/sd/app & apps are on sd (checked with Adb Shell).

i am getting the low space warning and am not able to install more apps... A2SD bug???

im a a novice i cant find it out. i have rebooted the phone several times already. maybe the script dont free up space on /data?

Look at the risk-free guide (http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/307365/14-jun-r6-riskfreeroot-htc-desire-rooting-guide-now-with-hboot-0-80-and-os-to-1-21-support/) and use the recovery image provided to partition.

Specifically when you've downloaded the correct files from that guide:

- In the terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat', './step1-mac.sh' or './step1-linux.sh' as appropriate.

This step should get you to the recovery image to partition 1gb.

Guest kay9jay
Look at the risk-free guide (http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desire-desire-modaco-com/307365/14-jun-r6-riskfreeroot-htc-desire-rooting-guide-now-with-hboot-0-80-and-os-to-1-21-support/) and use the recovery image provided to partition.

Specifically when you've downloaded the correct files from that guide:

- In the terminal window, enter either 'step1-windows.bat', './step1-mac.sh' or './step1-linux.sh' as appropriate.

This step should get you to the recovery image to partition 1gb.

i am pretty sure the sdcard is formatted properly. i can access system/sd/app/ and see the files.

there are plenty of apks in this folder. the problem is that it seems like MCR r20 keeps the SAME files on the data/app/ partition instead of moving the files.

this makes the phone memory go down and also i cant install any other apps.

Edited by kay9jay

Guest afiorillo
i am pretty sure the sdcard is formatted properly. i can access system/sd/app/ and see the files.

there are plenty of apks in this folder. the problem is that it seems like MCR r20 keeps the SAME files on the data/app/ partition instead of moving the files.

this makes the phone memory go down and also i cant install any other apps.

When in /data/app, try to enter pwd: you'll see that you are actually in /system/sd/app. Symlinks do that. ;-)

Guest steetiehj
Taken from another site:

I've followed these steps and all appears successful...

I checked via astro file manager system/sd/ but there is no apps folder? so I thought something was up and followed the instructions above again..

loaded up the phone and the apps I'd installed had gone; so I assume they must have been on the SD card... is there any way I can check other than the system/sd/apps route as this isn't appearing?

I have A2SD+ btw

~EDIT: I turned the phone off, removed the SD card, turned it on, apps gone... so that's answered my question :lol:

~~EDIT: I now get stuck in a loop when booting up because of LauncherPro Beta, so be warned if you have this installed on your SD card...

Edited by steetiehj

Guest rafa1282
When in /data/app, try to enter pwd: you'll see that you are actually in /system/sd/app. Symlinks do that. ;-)

I got the same problem and it seems to be that when you install apps directly out the apk...it storages it on the "data"part of the phone. I figured a way out to storage the apps on your SD, just follow this steps:

1 install your apps normally directly from the .apk file

2 Make a backup of your .apk app with the application "my backup pro"

3 After the backup is all set, delete de .apk app with an uninstaller. for example: "process manager"

4 After you deleted de .apk app. just restore it with the backup that you did with "my backup pro"and it will be on your SD.

Thats the only way that seems to work for me.

Hope that this helps you greettz

Guest rafa1282
MCR R20

I got the same problem and it seems to be that when you install apps directly out the apk...it storages it on the "data"part of the phone. I figured a way out to storage the apps on your SD, just follow this steps:

1 install your apps normally directly from the .apk file

2 Make a backup of your .apk app with the application "my backup pro"

3 After the backup is all set, delete de .apk app with an uninstaller. for example: "process manager"

4 After you deleted de .apk app. just restore it with the backup that you did with "my backup pro"and it will be on your SD.

Thats the only way that seems to work for me.

Hope that this helps you greettz

Guest dee163

Hello

Which recovery method?

power and down volume?

power and back space button?

I have root o/s but do not see the options you mentioned.

just format the sd in recovery with the menu there (the menu from step2 in the root process)

there is an option to format the card.

just do "0" for swap, 512 or 1024 for ext2 and the rest is automatic fat32 (normal sd card space)

then convert ext2 to ext3 (ext3 is safer beacause it is a journaled filesystem)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest katun79

I create an sd with "ROM Manager", you must have a rooted phone, and make a backup before or you will lost all your data. ;-)

PS: You can create max 512MB of ext2/3 partition with this program, but using gparted I enlarged It up to 2GB :angry:

Edited by katun79

Guest Michelle My Belle
I create an sd with "ROM Manager", you must have a rooted phone, and make a backup before or you will lost all your data. ;-)

PS: You can create max 512MB of ext2/3 partition with this program, but using gparted I enlarged It up to 2GB :angry:

I'm just curious here but why do you think you need 2 GB of ext?

:D

MMB.

Guest bhups

I have found that partitioning it in the following way works best:

| ---------------- FAT32 ---------------- | ----- EXT (3/4) ----- | --- SWAP --- |

FAT32 first

EXT second

SWAP last (but not necessary to be needed)