r4 HTC Desire Easy Rooting Guide with Tiny Core Linux

Guest craigcrawford1988

Guest potter97
I'm a novice on the Desire front, owned a T-Mobile Pulse previously.

Now I'm reading these things about killing some USB functionality from the Desire when rooting it.

In what sense does this hold for this method? Is there a chance of killing USB functions with this routine?

At the moment it is NOT 100% safe more like 75% safe, but like life everything is a tradeoff/Risk.

So its entirely up to you, if your a noob at flashing, i would suggest you wait!,

Or if your very confident, this methord as well as the other works, and works well.

Just remember if you hit a boot loop, take the battery out before the 3rd boot loop this should stop the brick!, At least it did for me, seems after 3 reboot loops the phones is in a constant debug mode

Guest iserlohn
Hey, I was just providing the guide and source to Paul's info...

Thanks for the work you did, I'm not trying to take a dig at you.

Paul has 2 packages for r4 root, one with HBOOT 0.75 and one with 0.80.

Those who have 0.75 should stick with the 0.75 package, otherwise, the HBOOT gets upgraded and the device will not be able to revert to the original ROMS.

Please put up a notice on your original post, as it's important for people to know the difference.

Edited by iserlohn

Guest craigcrawford1988
Thanks for the work you did, I'm not trying to take a dig at you.

Paul has 2 packages for r4 root, one with HBOOT 0.75 and one with 0.80.

Those who have 0.75 should stick with the 0.75 package, otherwise, the HBOOT gets upgraded and the device will not be able to revert to the original ROMS.

Please put up a notice on your original post, as it's important for people to know the difference.

Done.

Guest craigcrawford1988
Just as well I couldn't get this working then!!

Any chance of updating using the files for 0.75?

You could just edit the ISO and copy the 0.75 files over.

Edited by craigcrawford1988

Guest potter97
Done.

WOW!!......

Did not realise that, GOOD find EddyOs, if i had used this i would of been screwed.

Yea a tip for craigcrawford, Next time Check the compatibality lol..... that was close, was gonna use this one today... but im on the 0.75..........

Guest craigcrawford1988
WOW!!......

Did not realise that, GOOD find EddyOs, if i had used this i would of been screwed.

Yea a tip for craigcrawford, Next time Check the compatibality lol..... that was close, was gonna use this one today... but im on the 0.75..........

Hey I was just following Paul's recommendations... :rolleyes:

:D

Guest potter97
Hey I was just following Paul's recommendations... :rolleyes:

:D

I know but i too used that version first and of course it was with both file versions, I just assumed (My own fault), it was for the 0.75, it never even crossed my mind that you were using the 0.80 files.

But it is still a good wright up m8:)

Al i was saying for future ref for yourself (and me when i make a guide again) to check all variables and make them know what version we are using.

Guest craigcrawford1988
if I get an ISO working for 0.75 I can up it to add to this thread?

I'm working on one now :rolleyes:

Guest potter97
Think i still got it on my main the one i used i'll have a look iso with 0.75...

Yes i still have r3-tinycore_2.10-desireroot.iso 268MB if you give me a host i'll up load for you :rolleyes:

Guest craigcrawford1988
Yes i still have r3-tinycore_2.10-desireroot.iso 268MB if you give me a host i'll up load for you :rolleyes:

Isn't there an r4 build for 0.75?

Edit: There is. I'm going to make 2 different versions. One for 0.75 and one for 0.80.

Edited by craigcrawford1988

Guest potter97
Isn't there an r4 build for 0.75?

Edit: There is. I'm going to make 2 different versions. One for 0.75 and one for 0.80.

R3 is the only version i have used, which has worked no probs for me, after the root before i boot for first time, i usually, Wipe - All wipe options, then flash app2sd then boot for first time.

Guest EddyOS

r3 is the one I use it's just then having to use Windows to get into recovery is an arse - would be good to have it in one place

Guest potter97
r3 is the one I use it's just then having to use Windows to get into recovery is an arse - would be good to have it in one place

See, for some reason i belive using Unix is the best methord for the flash, i only use Windows for recovery.

It is a pain but i feel its safer that was, i trust linux completly as long as its all set up proberly.

It is a pain for the non unix user tho.

But then again if your not confident you should not be rooting anyway!

Guest EddyOS

I'm more than confident, had been cooking WinMo ROMs before moving to Android. Just couldn't get r4 working under W7 x64 so tried the r3 TinyCore method and worked first time!!

I can use Windows to get into recovery - and seeing as I'm rooted it's fine - but should I ever need to do it all again it would be handy having the lot in one place which is why a 0.75 r4 TinyCore would be spot on to have :rolleyes:

Edited by EddyOS

Guest potter97
I'm more than confident, had been cooking WinMo ROMs before moving to Android. Just couldn't get r4 working under W7 x64 so tried the r3 TinyCore method and worked first time!!

I can use Windows to get into recovery - and seeing as I'm rooted it's fine - but should I ever need to do it all again it would be handy having the lot in one place which is why a 0.75 r4 TinyCore would be spot on to have :rolleyes:

I always read win7 x64 was a no go anyway! lol.

so Tinycore should of been your First go,

Im sure craig will have a working R4 methord very soon for ya anyway.

just curious are you using R4 recovery in windows x64 ok?

Guest craigcrawford1988
I always read win7 x64 was a no go anyway! lol.

so Tinycore should of been your First go,

Im sure craig will have a working R4 methord very soon for ya anyway.

just curious are you using R4 recovery in windows x64 ok?

R4 recovery in Win 7 x64 works fine for me, it's just the step 1 and step 2 that don't work. As EddyOS said though, it's nice to have it all in one place.

Guest potter97
Yeah recovery works fine - do it as an admin on the command prompt but works every time

Hmmm. i have just though, i have been a complete numpty, everytime i flashed my device i always have done the FULL rooting procedure, not just flash from recovery. What an idiot, but still using 'Unix like i said feels safer to me.

Im guessing now that i dont actually have to fully root every time, just flash the ROMS, wonder if thats why i have not faced a bricked desire yet????

Food for thought!!

EDIT: I take it a FULL flash is CLEAN flash ( No left over files of anykind?)

Edited by potter97

Guest viper_campbell
Hmmm. i have just though, i have been a complete numpty, everytime i flashed my device i always have done the FULL rooting procedure, not just flash from recovery. What an idiot, but still using 'Unix like i said feels safer to me.

Im guessing now that i dont actually have to fully root every time, just flash the ROMS, wonder if thats why i have not faced a bricked desire yet????

Food for thought!!

EDIT: I take it a FULL flash is CLEAN flash ( No left over files of anykind?)

I also do FULL root from the beginning every time and also have never had a problem AND i use Win7 64bit... there is a knack to it :rolleyes:

Guest potter97
I also do FULL root from the beginning every time and also have never had a problem AND i use Win7 64bit... there is a knack to it :D

Might be handy to share the Knack for those using windows x64!! I'm not personally, but may help the others :rolleyes: