Network unlocking

Guest aboycalledsu

Guest aboycalledsu

My boss has just been given an N1 by Google (very generous of them)

However it appears to be locked to Vodafone (UK). He's on Orange and wants to use the phone. I might be asking the wrong question here, but is there any way to unlock the phone from Vodafone so he can stick his Orange sim card in it?

Thanks in advance.

Guest stevenz

However it appears to be locked to Vodafone (UK). He's on Orange and wants to use the phone. I might be asking the wrong question here, but is there any way to unlock the phone from Vodafone so he can stick his Orange sim card in it?

Just try the Orange SIM in it, no N1's should be locked to any network. If it's not working then it may be that Orange & Vodafone don't use compatible 3G frequencies (one maybe 850Mhz and the other 900Mhz perhaps?) - should still work on 2G regardless though.

If it _is_ locked then it should say so and you'll need to pay an unlocker for a code, but I don't think I've seen anywhere mention of an N1 being provider-locked.

• 11 months later...
Guest larlie212

Thanks in advance.

i got a vodafone 845 im try'ed some of the posted ways to unlock it but still i cant use other sim "smart".. .. and i cant even connect with my WIFI :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have an N1 from vodaphone and it wasn't locked, it is a common misconception. I put a T-Mo sim in and it worked straight off. However the rom that is in these is not a standard rom and if you want it to accept the OTA updates from Google you need to flash a standard rom 1st.

Taken fron XDA Nexus One Wiki, FAQ

- Q13: Is Nexus One carrier-locked? Will it work with my carrier / network?

A: There is no such thing as carrier-locked N1. All the rumors of carrier-locked N1s, including bits of misinformation from SFR/Vodafone, are untrue. Unlocking the N1 refers only to bootloader, allowing to flash custom ROMs freely, and doesn't concern non-existent carrier lock. There are 2 types of N1: 1) T-Mobile version, the standard one - works with 900/1700(AWS)/2100 MHz bands, 2) AT&T version, works with 850/1900/2100 MHz bands. To know if N1 will get 3G reception with your carrier, check the model you're getting and List of UMTS networks, and see if they share the same frequency/ies.

Edited by 900i