19/May - Installing a custom recovery image on your device

Guest PaulOBrien

try volume up + call(green button) and power:)

that 0one you use is boot loader for fast booting

I tried this but still not working, im still stuck at T-mobile logo.

Is there any way to remove the Clockwork Recovery mode and flash with AmonRa?

EDIT: I tried to flash again with Clockwork, AmonRA also and superboot, and it says "waiting for device".

Edited by XoRg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MIKEDEE215

Devs dont bash me too much but where all here to help well I can confirm this works after 3 reboots tries.

Ok so I got RA 1.6.2-- Recovery on my u8150 pulse mini.. Not by fast boot .. having trouble using fast boot for windows vista (also tried limited with linux said eff it) I decided to go back to roots and be experimental using the terminal.

(now you are saying wtf he just skipped fast boot method and totally went in blind and risked bricking his phone) !!!!!

Yes i did and sometimes I take less roads taken .. infact I love doing this because how can't you have success without trying first hand.. and unlike (evil apple) you can recover easier. I had an idea to just copy the method i had used to install a custom recovery on a lg optimus and by golly it worked.

SOOO :D lets go step by step how I managed to just by luck and stroke of wonder I got it on my device using terminal.

Step one .. well forget step 1 .. forget using fastboot.. I tried to use it on windows and linux.. got impatient blah.

Step 2.. get terminal emulator from the market. I use the jack palvich terminal emulator..

step 3.. open terminal emulator and begin to give it a su ... to get the # (you know the deal)

(follow this task step by step.. but before all that we need a flash img.)

http://www.mediafire.com/?e33dnnjaalh8h5e (DOWNLOAD THIS)

NOW HERE IS THE INTERESTING PART...THIS FLASH IMAGE IS FROM RA' THUNDER.. ROM FROM THE LG OPTIMUS MY OLD PHONE.. BUT SAME FROM DEV. IT WORKS TRUST ME YOU WILL SEE.. WHEN I AM DONE!!!

step 4 extract that and put it into the root of the sd card.

step 5 grab the recovery-RA-pulsemini-v1.6.2 extract that and put the image file also into the sd card.

(RENAME RECOVERY-RA-PULSEMINI-.V1.6.2.IMG TO RECOVERY.IMG NOW AND SAVE THAT ITS EASIER WHEN YOU ARE INPUTING IT ON TERMINAL SIDE.

step 6. follow these steps in the order as follows..

# mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system

# cat /sdcard/flash_image > /system/bin/flash_image

# chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

# mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

(like the optimus for some reason after this step it gives you an error dont freak just do it and hit the return key and it will advance)

# mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system

# flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

(this for some reason gives and o mtd out of memory error just let It scroll then It will still work surprisingly heh hit the return key and it will advance)

# reboot recovery

It should reboot..

(So now that you have rebooted take the battery out and do power, vol.up and green button)

you should see the htc BUILD: RA-Pulse MINI-1.6.2

Lke this .. .

http://img825.imageshack.us/i/img00002201102081904.gif

you now have a custom recovery happy modding. :P

• 3 weeks later...

OK So I've used ROM Manager from the Marketplace on my rooted Pulse Mini, it's downloaded Clockwork 2.5.0.7 and it boots to a blank screen now when I try recovery :-/

I've tried to put the old Clockwork 1.8.1.4 back but am unable, any ideas how to get Clockwork working again ?

Linux terminal is just stating waiting for device.

Guest srbodroid
OK So I've used ROM Manager from the Marketplace on my rooted Pulse Mini, it's downloaded Clockwork 2.5.0.7 and it boots to a blank screen now when I try recovery :-/

I've tried to put the old Clockwork 1.8.1.4 back but am unable, any ideas how to get Clockwork working again ?

Linux terminal is just stating waiting for device.

You have to go back to 1.8.1.4-pulsemini-clockworkrecovery

in bootloader mode, you enter by pressing vol -, red button and power button

and you have to disable USB debugging!this is causing problems with Windows

You have to go back to 1.8.1.4-pulsemini-clockworkrecovery

in bootloader mode, you enter by pressing vol -, red button and power button

and you have to disable USB debugging!this is causing problems with Windows

Cool, looks like USB debug mode was preventing it from being fixed. Back to 1.8.1.4 again :huh:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest thunder12011

ihi all first i would like to thank you all i have managed to root and flash a custom rom without having access to computer and the custom rom is excellent i used z4root latest version of rom manager and rcovery image from above post.

Edited by thunder12011

Guest addjon

hi,

this is my 1st post.can some one help me plz.i installed some software from this site on to my pulse mini but now i can recover it to the original t-mobile rom...i tried my best but can some one plz guide me.thanks in advance

Guest thunder12011
hi,

this is my 1st post.can some one help me plz.i installed some software from this site on to my pulse mini but now i can recover it to the original t-mobile rom...i tried my best but can some one plz guide me.thanks in advance

hi you can try holding the green call key,volume up and power on and reset it from the menu or goto t-mobile site search android updates follow the instructions

Edited by thunder12011

Guest DeeLon
ihi all first i would like to thank you all i have managed to root and flash a custom rom without having access to computer and the custom rom is excellent i used z4root latest version of rom manager and rcovery image from above post.

Do you have one of the newer T-Mobile Pulse Mini Pink phones from the UK?

So far I have rooted my phone using z4root and have installed the latest free version of ROM Manager from the Android Market. Version 4.0.0.6

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.k...nager&hl=en

My battery is only half charged so I'm charging it now before attempting a ROM update

I'm not sure what my next step should be - ... ROM Manager tells me I need to install Clock Work Recovery and gives me the option to download Huawei pulse mini is this what you did, or did you do something else?

Just to be clear all I've done so far is root my phone and install ROM Manager - not added Clockwork MOD Yet .. should I use the version ROM Manager gives me or should I use the older version given on this thread Clockwork Recovery 1.8.1.4 ?

As this thread is almost 1 year old I wasn't sure what is the latest and best advice.

Edited by DeeLon

Guest thunder12011
Do you have one of the newer T-Mobile Pulse Mini Pink phones from the UK?

So far I have rooted my phone using z4root and have installed the latest free version of ROM Manager from the Android Market. Version 4.0.0.6

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.k...nager&hl=en

My battery is only half charged so I'm charging it now before attempting a ROM update

I'm not sure what my next step should be - ... ROM Manager tells me I need to install Clock Work Recovery and gives me the option to download Huawei pulse mini is this what you did, or did you do something else?

Just to be clear all I've done so far is root my phone and install ROM Manager - not added Clockwork MOD Yet .. should I use the version ROM Manager gives me or should I use the older version given on this thread Clockwork Recovery 1.8.1.4 ?

As this thread is almost 1 year old I wasn't sure what is the latest and best advice.

hi there i have the latest version off the pulse mini this is what i did rooted my phone with z4root download the latest version. rom manager.

use clockwork recovery for the huawei.ascend. reboot the phone.

download the recovery image from above post.

unzip the image and rename it to recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-ascend.img

save it.

once renamed copy the img file to the sdcard in this directory clockworkmod.download.mirrorbrain.cyanogenmod.com/cm/recoveries replace the img there with the one u just renamed

once done leave sdcard goback to rom manager flash again with huawei ascend reboot the phone remove battery then reboot holding green call,volume up tap power u should now see the recovery image .copy the custom rom to sdcard and flash.

Edited by thunder12011

Guest addjon
hi you can try holding the green call key,volume up and power on and reset it from the menu or goto t-mobile site search android updates follow the instructions

i did tried few of the option and specially the one where one have to format the sd card and then installing the offically andriod room 2.1 from the t-mobile site,but the phone give error message on 1st step and don't load further.also with the vol+,call and on button it use to go to recovery mode,but not any more.and if i want to launch any program a screen ask me to force close it....the current version of rom is ....the celestial teapot release 4....

Guest thunder12011
i did tried few of the option and specially the one where one have to format the sd card and then installing the offically andriod room 2.1 from the t-mobile site,but the phone give error message on 1st step and don't load further.also with the vol+,call and on button it use to go to recovery mode,but not any more.and if i want to launch any program a screen ask me to force close it....the current version of rom is ....the celestial teapot release 4....

hi go here follow instructions http://www.cellphone-tutorial.com/2011/01/...hone-u8110.html if you cannot find the firmware go here http://wiki.modaco.com/index.php/Huawei_Firmware_U8110

Edited by thunder12011

Guest addjon

cheers mate but when going to upgrade part it freeze on the installing part/1 and give some error.i did tried few times and different dlod files but no luck???????

Guest ZapMe

Hello all you wonderful people,

Im trying to install a recovery image for my t mobile mini pulse before i try and flash a new rom,

I have followed the post at the top of this topic and keep getting "cannot execute binary file" :mellow:

Im already rooted using z4root, im trying this using an Ibook g3 (the only laptop i could get my hands on cheap) to install custom recovery image.

can some one please help me as i want to install r3b custom rom ( damn the pinkness)

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thunder12011

hi there make sure you are downloading the correct version of firmware for the phone also

make sure that you put the dload folder on the root of the sd card make sure phone has full charge

Edited by thunder12011

Guest thunder12011

Hello all you wonderful people,

Im trying to install a recovery image for my t mobile mini pulse before i try and flash a new rom,

I have followed the post at the top of this topic and keep getting "cannot execute binary file" :unsure:

Im already rooted using z4root, im trying this using an Ibook g3 (the only laptop i could get my hands on cheap) to install custom recovery image.

can some one please help me as i want to install r3b custom rom ( damn the pinkness)

Thanks in advance

ok follow the steps no pc needed

1. root phone using z4root

2. download rom manager

3 using rom manager flash huawei ascend

4 download the recovery image rename the image to recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-ascend.img

5 place the renamed image in clockworkmod recoveries directory on sd card

6 save and exit go back to rom manager and flasb again

7 if done correct this provided u with recovery image allow custom rom

Guest Thar

ok follow the steps no pc needed

1. root phone using z4root

2. download rom manager

3 using rom manager flash huawei ascend

4 download the recovery image rename the image to recovery-clockwork-3.0.0.5-ascend.img

5 place the renamed image in clockworkmod recoveries directory on sd card

6 save and exit go back to rom manager and flasb again

7 if done correct this provided u with recovery image allow custom rom

Can I ask, why do you choose the Huawei Ascend not the Mini Pulse option?

Flashing mine with a custom ROM (TCT and later tahahawa's) also rooted the phone.

Guest thunder12011

hi i have flashed over 10. pulse minis in the last 2 months and found that the huawei ascend is the only version that doesnt freeze or crash the handset.

Guest Thar
hi i have flashed over 10. pulse minis in the last 2 months and found that the huawei ascend is the only version that doesnt freeze or crash the handset.

OK, thanks. Was wondering if it was worth updating from CWM v1.8.1.4 which I used that's all.

Guest thunder12011
OK, thanks. Was wondering if it was worth updating from CWM v1.8.1.4 which I used that's all.

i have found that updating rom manager doesnt make a difference as long as u have the correct recovery image

i have also found that cwm isnt really needed u can use recovery manager.if you find a problem with recovery manger stick with cwm to all t-mobile pulse mini owners the handset as been offically discontined by t-mobile and is in the process of being removed from stores

Edited by thunder12011

Guest thunder12011

I'm quite confused.

I thought the ascend was a CDMA phone.

[/quote

the ascend recovery works well on the pluse mini thats all i can say about the ascend sorry

• 1 month later...
Guest RavemasterX

Thanks- I can confirm that flashing the Pulse Mini recovery from RomManager results in a recovery image that won't boot, whereas the Ascend one does, and appears from my limited investigation to work.

So cheers for putting me on the right track :).

Edited by RavemasterX

• 2 months later...
Guest matty68

Hi there everyone, Please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place as this is my first post. you'll see from my links that I use XDA-Developers.com a lot.

Currently using as follows:

Phone: UK T-Mobile Pulse Mini

Rom: Joilaroi CM7.3.5 v12 rev B

Recovery: Clockworks 5.0.2.3 for U8100

SD-EXT compatible Recovery for UK T-Mobile Pulse Mini

I've discovered that the Clockworks recoveries for pulse mini don't work on the UK T-mobile version when attempting to backup, restore or format the \sd-ext partitionsad.gif however the Amnon Ra recovery provided in this thread does work.rolleyes.gif

Me being me, I wanted to be able to use the Clockworks recovery as it can use signed or unsigned rom updates. After a lot of searching and playing with different Roms I found the Clockworks 5.0.2.3 for U8100 by pure chance over on XDA-Developers, forum page here: http://forum.xda-dev....php?t=1289745# and the link to the image here Clockworks 5.0.2.3 for u8100 this does appear to work nicely.biggrin.gif

Cyanogen Mod 7.3.5

Now for those of you who would like the CM7 Mod, please note this is an Unoffical Mod and it is NOT my work it is Joilaroi's work; take a look at this forum page, (also on XDA-Developers): http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=950491 like I said I'm using version 12 revision B as I find that to be stable on my phone even though it's aimed at the u8120! You'll find the link about halfway down, the version I use is this one: cm7.1_ver12b

Joilaroi's CM7 mod is the only one I've found that supports the \sd-ext partition and usb-pc mounting, one really cool thing is this version auto mounts USB-PC and the phone can still access the sd card while mounted to usb-pc! Nice work Joilaroi.cool.gif

APPS to SD-EXT support

The only thing I would note is that it comes with Link2SD more info on it on XDA-Developers here: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=919326 direct link here: Link2SD 1.9.3.apk or on market; as opposed to Darktremmors A2SD which you can get from here: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=715940 or http://www.darktremor.info/index.html , or S2E which is designed purely for CM7 Mod which you can get here: http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=917377 also available on market.

Each of these approaches have their pros and cons so take your pick.

Hope all this helps you get the most out of this great little phone.biggrin.gif