Google announces Android 2.2!

Guest craigcrawford1988

Guest craigcrawford1988
Today at I/O, our annual developer conference, we announced Android 2.2. Codenamed Froyo (for frozen yogurt), this seventh update to the Android platform brings some great new functionality to users (things like making your handset a portable hotspot and support for Adobe Flash within the browser), along with new tools for developers. Read more about the specifics of Froyo on our Android Developer Blog.

:rolleyes:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/and...-sprinkles.html

Edited by craigcrawford1988

Guest HustlinDaily
I wonder if you can *tell* apps where to go, rather than them have to request it...

Android platform highlights

Yes. At the I/O (saw on Youtube), app will download wherever space is appropriated. AND you can go to manage applications and move it between internal storage and sd card at any time.

Guest potter97
Yes. At the I/O (saw on Youtube), app will download wherever space is appropriated. AND you can go to manage applications and move it between internal storage and sd card at any time.

I know was watching that, looks sooo cool.

My only question is, after we get the update will we be able to root those ROMS? Fully?

Guest klutsh

My thought's about 2.2 and root, is...

Don't flash it until a Dev has managed to root it first :rolleyes:

I'm sure it will be possible, for all current devices, thing's will get harder when new devices start shipping with 2.2 on them.

Guest craigcrawford1988
My thought's about 2.2 and root, is...

Don't flash it until a Dev has managed to root it first :D

I'm sure it will be possible, for all current devices, thing's will get harder when new devices start shipping with 2.2 on them.

Screw the root. It probably wont be needed! :rolleyes:

I would gladly sacrifice root for a couple of weeks/months for Froyo!

Guest chrish2009
Screw the root. It probably wont be needed! :rolleyes:

I would gladly sacrifice root for a couple of weeks/months for Froyo!

have google released it yet, or have they just announced that its in development and nearly finished?

chris

Guest craigcrawford1988
have google released it yet, or have they just announced that its in development and nearly finished?

chris

It's released to developers. You can download the kernel, SDK, etc in other words. This means it's close to being on phones.

Edited by craigcrawford1988