I C Thru U is a tool for WM6.5.x and Manila2D version 2.0 and lower (not Manila3D - version 2.1-2.5) that automatically crops sections from your wallpaper and sets them as the backgrounds to your taskbar and softkey bars so they appear "transparent". Of course this isn't real transparency but it's the next best thing. It can also do some other tricks like scaling large images to fit, removing the background from the softkey buttons, making all Manila elements on the home tab transparent, etc.
ICTU works with W|QVGA and W|VGA resolutions. Install to your device and run via the "I C Thru U" shortcut. When clicked, you will be asked to select from a menu of options - Backup, Restore, Current Wallpaper and New Wallpaper. I advise you to make a backup before continuing.
Clicking "Current Wallpaper" or "New Wallpaper" will take you to the main selection screen where you can choose which parts to make transparent. Take a look at the screenshot above - it's arranged so you simply click the button for the transparency you want to apply, e.g. the first button makes the start menu transparent, the second makes the taskbar transparent, and so on. If you clicked "New Wallpaper" it will first let you choose a new image then apply the transparency you have selected.
Please note: Because this new version uses a more complex method of resizing and cropping, some operations will take longer than they did in the older version. Sometimes it may appear like nothing is happening, but please do wait for the app to finish. You will be prompted to restart when done, or Manila will auto-refresh.
Have fun! To return to your previous settings either restore your backup or re-select your themes in Settings>Home as well as in M2DC.
07.06 - 1.0 Final - Fixed a small error in the backup script, fairly confident everything is running smoothly now. Also included uninstall script to remove any left-over files and registry entries.
07.06 - 1.0RC - Lots of improvements, stability and added features. Now the app lets you scale/crop large images to fit, automatically syncs the Manila and Today wallpapers, allows for the removal of all Manila backgrounds on the home tab, transparent start menu background, no need to restart after making changes to Manila, etc. Please test.
01.06 - 1.0b5 - After many attempts, the app with gui should new be working.
01.06 - 1.0b4 - Hopefully this will have fixed the startup bug introduced in v1.0b3, please test.
(removed) 31.05 - 1.0b3 - There was a problem with applying transparency twice in succession - that should now be fixed.
Sorry guys, had to remove the previous 1.0 betas, they weren't working on some devices. Will try and solve the problem. In the meantime, try an earlier version.
(removed) 31.05 - 1.0b2 - Please download the new beta - I think it will have fixed the "include" error. Also, the app can now be installed to your memory card and you don't have to have Mortscript installed!! Thanks magawa.
(removed) 31.05 - 1.0b1 - MAJOR UPDATE: The app now has a GUI of sorts.
30.05 - 0.9 and earlier - Test builds
1. There is a known issue with resizing certain images. Sometimes the app reports an Out of Memory Error - this is caused when the image is too big, or there is some other internal error with ImgResize.exe. This occurs only with certain images and I am trying to solve it.
2. The piece of wallpaper for the top bar is actually a duplication of the part just below it, so it will appear like the wallpaper is repeated at the top - this is a limitation of WinMo I'm afraid (well, at least it is in 6.5.3), because the wallpaper actually only starts 18/36 pixels from the top of the screen. Hope that makes sense.
3. Sometimes the Manila slider and button don't look so good when transparent, because without the button you can see through to the icon below - this isn't always a problem but sometimes it doesn't look good. Solve this by leaving the slider and button untouched, or only make the slider transparent. Play around and see what works for you.
4. If you have an issue with your start menu going screwy (this sometimes happens after changing themes in Settings > Home) try re-selecting your wallpaper in ICTU.
5. This was tested on an Omnia using WM 6.5.3 - things may work differently for other builds and resolutions. I take no responsibility for damage to your unit.
- Save layout as a single skin file so you can have multiple saves, and you can share skins with others!
- Multiple backup/restore slots
- Maybe a way to avoid restarting after making certain changes
For the resizing and conversion this script uses ImgResize.exe by Andrew Coates, the interface uses cimg.exe by Cyclonezephyrxz7 and JMLMenu by JMHL/MichelDiamond. Thanks guys!
Edited by Jumba, 08 June 2010 - 09:56 AM.