TelstraMod1 - Revision 5

Guest Muskie

Guest Muskie

NOTE: TelstraMod 1 is now deprecated, and has ceased development.

TelstraMod2 is now available Here: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1495099

TelstraMod1- Based on Paul's MCR 3.1

Thanks again to Paul for making such an awesome Custom ROM, and to wuttlebush for the extracted Telstra Retail ROM I used to create this mod.

This is the Final Release for TelstraMod1, and contains a complete rewrite of my original edits to the code.

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?qojdiue0nm3mzax

Kitchen Files are available here: http://www.mediafire.com/?nxm50mlmelm1tlm

NOTE: This Custom ROM is ONLY for users of Telstra-Branded Model A8183 Desires on the Australian Telstra NextG Network.

About:

Users of Telstra Branded HTC Desires (the A8183), will find that certain Mobile Bigpond online services such as unmetered internet, access to the Mobile Foxtel App, etc are blocked, as Bigpond/Telstra use Useragent String checking to Block access to incompatible phones when they have rooted their phones to a Custom ROM.

This is a modified version of Paul's MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR), That has these useragent strings changed to that of the Retail Telstra ROM, to allow rooted users access to Telstra services.

Also the phone has been completely localised for en_AU.

Instructions:

New Installation:

1: Root Your Desire using UnrEVOked.

2: Download the Zip file above and place it on your SD Card.

3: Boot to Recovery Mode (ROM manager is Recommended!)

4: Wipe/Factory Reset (Wipe DATA+CACHE)

5: Select Update From SD Card, browse to TelstraMod1_r5-signed.zip

6: Install

7: Reboot

From Existing Install:

1: Boot to Recovery Mode

2: Install update From Zip

3: Reboot

------

Changelog:

r5: Overhaul Complete, Final Release.

r4: Unreleased

r3.5: Missing Wallpapers Fixed!

Started Code Overhaul

r3: Updated to MCR 3.1

Useragent Strings finally fixed

r2: Updated build.prop for cleaner code, much closer to MCR

r1: Initial release

Edited by Muskie

Guest Silvarbullit

Couldn't flash this one.

Fails verification step

E:Corrupt file:

system/xbin/busybox

E:Verification failed

Luckily I still had a stock MCR to recover with instead.

Edited by Silvarbullit

Guest Muskie
Couldn't flash this one.

Fails verification step

E:Corrupt file:

system/xbin/busybox

E:Verification failed

Luckily I still had a stock MCR to recover with instead.

Really? I'll have to check again..

Guest Muskie
Whats the Difference between MCR 3.1 and your mod? What is Telstra?

Useragent Strings and Reported Device names, that's all. Telstra (An Australian Carrier) locks some of their services due to UA Strings.

Guest Muskie
Really? I'll have to check again..

ARGH.

you have got to be kidding me.. The zip file got modified because I opened it up to check if the files were right (without extracting any files) in windows, thus killing the file signing. I'll need to learn to set these mofos to readonly.. hold on, uploading a new ROM now.

Guest bushpig
ARGH.

you have got to be kidding me.. The zip file got modified because I opened it up to check if the files were right (without extracting any files) in windows, thus killing the file signing. I'll need to learn to set these mofos to readonly.. hold on, uploading a new ROM now.

Hi Muskie.. Can you let us know when new ROM uploaded again thanks.... and can you tell me how many MB internal storage remains after fresh install of this ROM.

Thanks..... your work is appreciated.

Guest bushpig
Hi Muskie.. Can you let us know when new ROM uploaded again thanks.... and can you tell me how many MB internal storage remains after fresh install of this ROM.

Thanks..... your work is appreciated.

The reason I ask is that I just did a full wipe and installed the first version and I get 80.16mb Internal Storage on first boot up.

Guest Muskie
Do you need to do a wipe if coming from MCR 3.1?

if you're using MCR3.1, no, you shouldn't.

(I personally wipe every time on my test phone, but There really isn't a need to.)

Guest Muskie
The reason I ask is that I just did a full wipe and installed the first version and I get 80.16mb Internal Storage on first boot up.

I didn't do a complete wipe, but upon deleting all my third party apps, I have 96.02MB Free on the phone.

Do you have this problem with the standard MCR? did you cook a custom ROM using the kitchen files, perhaps?

Guest Silvarbullit

Now I'm getting a verification failure on system/lib/libsiimpli.so... is there an MD5 hash I can check my download against?

Guest Muskie
Now I'm getting a verification failure on system/lib/libsiimpli.so... is there an MD5 hash I can check my download against?

Never went anywhere near that file, so it definately ain't me! lol..

MD5 of the zip file should be: 7c455e1bfcb72090fb7d3e3fad67f97b

if the MD5 is correct and you're still geting an error, try resigning the file using PortTools?

Can anyone else conform or deny this problem?

Edited by Muskie

Guest Silvarbullit

Cheers.

c:\Program Files (x86)\FastSum>fsum.exe d:\LIBRARY\setup\android\htc-desire-mcr3.1-a8183modv3-signed.zip

MD5 Checksum calculation and verification utility. [1.9.0.149] EN

© 2003-2005 Kirill Zinov and Vitaly Rogotsevich. Web site: www.fastsum.com

d:\L...\htc-desire-mcr3.1-a8183modv3-signed.zip 925AF29BC505BFDCD0C64C817D243242

Hmm definitely getting something different.

Might try downloading with a different browser incase its caching the original broken version of that zip I downloaded yesterday.

Guest Silvarbullit
Cheers.

c:\Program Files (x86)\FastSum>fsum.exe d:\LIBRARY\setup\android\htc-desire-mcr3.1-a8183modv3-signed.zip

MD5 Checksum calculation and verification utility. [1.9.0.149] EN

© 2003-2005 Kirill Zinov and Vitaly Rogotsevich. Web site: www.fastsum.com

d:\L...\htc-desire-mcr3.1-a8183modv3-signed.zip 925AF29BC505BFDCD0C64C817D243242

Hmm definitely getting something different.

Might try downloading with a different browser incase its caching the original broken version of that zip I downloaded yesterday.

I've downloaded it 3 times now using 2 different browsers, cleared cookies and cache each time and saved to different locations.. still getting the same completely different checksum. :(

Even tried a different md5 tool just in the off chance and still nothing. Only other thing I can do is try downloading the file from a different connection next week in case telstra are transparent proxying a corrupted file.

htc-desire-mcr3.1-a8183modv3-signed.zip 925af29bc505bfdcd0c64c817d243242

Not really sure what else I can do...

Guest Silvarbullit

I gave up trying to download the prebaked telstra fix ROM.

Cooked an r3.1 ROM with the kitchen files uploaded, downloaded and flashed it no problems but my phone is STILL reporting model 8181 in about phone and in the user-agent.... WTF! All the .xml files in the baked ROM still reference 8181 etc.

Not sure how I can do that wrong? Am I blind or are the fixed download files linked somewhere else other than the links in the first post - I really don't get why this is being so a mission.

I've checked the config files inside the kitchfiles zip and they seem to have all the references to model 8183 in them. I'm not seeing an upload button after you select the kitchen files you want to upload in the kitchen before hitting the microwave - am I doing something wrong?

Edited by Silvarbullit

Guest Muskie
I gave up trying to download the prebaked telstra fix ROM.

Cooked an r3.1 ROM with the kitchen files uploaded, downloaded and flashed it no problems but my phone is STILL reporting model 8181 in about phone and in the user-agent.... WTF! All the .xml files in the baked ROM still reference 8181 etc.

Not sure how I can do that wrong? Am I blind or are the fixed download files linked somewhere else other than the links in the first post - I really don't get why this is being so a mission.

I've checked the config files inside the kitchfiles zip and they seem to have all the references to model 8183 in them. I'm not seeing an upload button after you select the kitchen files you want to upload in the kitchen before hitting the microwave - am I doing something wrong?

No Idea, as I do't have access to the kitchen. You could do what I did and simply download the MCR, copy and replace the kitchen files into the zip, and then resign it using PortTools. I don't have an exact link for that, but you should be able to find it on XDA. it's basically a jar file you run in a command line.

Guest Muskie

I'm reuploading the file again for you, and I'll download it and double check that the checksum matches the original file.

Sorry about this, Silvar! But let's get it fixed :)

EDIT: Updted. the link's been fixed. :)

Edited by Muskie

Guest Silvarbullit

Cheers,

I'll give it another go when I get home from work.

Last night I pushed the build.prop and default.xml files into the ROM using recovery after it was flashed (but before the first boot after flashing) so now the model and user-agent is reporting as 8183 and the build info states its the telstra custom mod r3.1 ROM as per build.prop.

I don't know what does/doesn't work when you do it that way but it didnt seem to make any difference with the MMS issues I'm having with telstra.

MMS works fine using a 3 sim card in the phone but is pathetic using telstra. Either MMS just don't download or they are all limited to 49KB or smaller when the originals were 200-300kb. Never had an issue with it on my iPhone.

Tried just about every APN setting I can find but nothing fixes it.

Guest Muskie

That sounds more like a problem with the network.. have you tried contacting telstra and asking for APN settings from them? When I called telstra about APN settings, they gave me settings that were completely different from the ones on the website, etc..

Guest Silvarbullit
That sounds more like a problem with the network.. have you tried contacting telstra and asking for APN settings from them? When I called telstra about APN settings, they gave me settings that were completely different from the ones on the website, etc..

[D:\LIBRARY\setup\android\]

htc-desire-mcr3.1-a8183modv3-signed.zip 7c455e1bfcb72090fb7d3e3fad67f97b

Success!

I can't call them at the moment - away at work and won't be home until next week.

I've used the settings others have suggested and also the settings from my old iPhone, also tried the settings via configure.telstra.com.au but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

What did they give you for telstra.mms?

I've got:

APN: telstra.mms

MMS proxy: 10.1.1.180

MMS port: 80

MMSC server: mmsc.telstra.com:8002

MMS protocol: WAP 2.0

MCC: 505

MNC: 01

Authentication type: none

APN type: mms

Only variations I can really find of that are .181 for the proxy but it doesnt make any difference to my problem.

Guest Silvarbullit
Sadly, I wouldn't have a clue, really.. I don't use MMS, lol :)

Well I installed your ROM but my user agent still says model 8181 not 8183?

Tried whatsmyuseragent.com and my-addr.com/ua .

:)

Guest Muskie

Did you perform a wipe before installing the new ROM? make sure to wipe everything, that's the data, cache, and Dalvik Cache. the useragent string should read

HTC_desire_A8183 V1.16.841.1 Build/ERE27