And in other news... I rooted the Streak!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul
Instructions to follow. :(

P

streakroot.jpg

Guest Cheadle
Does this mean you have done it? It's unlocked?

Dai

No rooting isnt unlocking from the network. Well not unless its different on the Dell. :( This just gives access to the core files and means that the smart people like Paul can start playing and making the custom roms that most of us are using on this site.

I think that is correct anyway.

Guest m1le5

Seriously good work :( now the fun begins...what can we port? Interesting how we've had such difficulty porting different UIs onto other branded handsets. Noones got blur or timescape running well on HTC handsets despite the massive dev community...would love to see sense on this thing! And I guess it can be modded to oblivion now the root is there, overclock kernels etc will do wonders! Vanilla android will probably look a bit dumm on the screen.

Please get your hands on the Samsung Galaxy S oh great Paul.

Guest griff_dai
No rooting isnt unlocking from the network. Well not unless its different on the Dell. :( This just gives access to the core files and means that the smart people like Paul can start playing and making the custom roms that most of us are using on this site.

I think that is correct anyway.

Ah I see!

Shame that but good he's done this much so quick. I am sure Paul will get it unlocked within the week.

Guest Orrwil
Amazing work Paul.

Any plans to put FroYo on it? :)

I would buy the streak tomorrow if I could get froyo on it.

With the device being rooted so quickly, does this mean that a froyo rom is any more likely?

Guest toxxico

ok i just got the desire 2 months back and i saw the streak in o2 shop today. really love the 5" screen lol. its bloody massive. but o2 tell mne its locked to O2. paul can u unlock it by any chance so i can use orang sim on it?

Guest griff_dai
ok i just got the desire 2 months back and i saw the streak in o2 shop today. really love the 5" screen lol. its bloody massive. but o2 tell mne its locked to O2. paul can u unlock it by any chance so i can use orang sim on it?

:) were in the same boat

Guest nirave

I work for O2 and my understanding is that O2 have a Worldwide Exclusive on the Streak; they are following the same policy set in place when they had exclusivity for the Palm Pre - because it's exclusive to O2, they won't be allowing it to be officially unlocked.

Looks like another method will need to be used people!

Guest griff_dai
I work for O2 and my understanding is that O2 have a Worldwide Exclusive on the Streak; they are following the same policy set in place when they had exclusivity for the Palm Pre - because it's exclusive to O2, they won't be allowing it to be officially unlocked.

Looks like another method will need to be used people!

I think you mean a UK exclusive as it's already been reported that it's coming out in the states sim free and unlocked and that Dell themselves are to start selling it later this month.

Dai

Guest nirave
I think you mean a UK exclusive as it's already been reported that it's coming out in the states sim free and unlocked and that Dell themselves are to start selling it later this month.

Dai

Sorry yeah UK exclusive.

Dell will sell it sim-free on their website from the end of June which will open it up in terms of exclusivity but the only UK network to stock it will be O2.

I should have one tomorrow, gonna sell my Desire to get this! :)

Guest HorusUK

Just got mine today. I came from a G1, so in comparison, it's HUGE! The fact that it is now rooted was the deal clincher for me. I was considering this or the N1, and am so glad I went to the Streak.

Thanks so much for your work, Paul.