Unlocking?

Guest Dunhamzzz

Guest Dunhamzzz

Hi all, first post on the forum :)

I'm actually from Norwich, and had heard of Paul, never realised the online presence was this big though!

I was wondering if there was any progress on getting the carrier - O2 - lock off the Dell Streak? Various chains/independent places have said they'll do it in store but as soon as I bring in it they don't want to touch it with a 10 foot barge pole! Additionally, O2 have said they'll do it in 12 months.

My experiences with unlocking in the past have been a bit stressful, although this being an Android device it can't be that hard illegitimately/legit?

Guest Dunhamzzz

I know, I have a few contacts with Dell which I shall be emailing. Fair enough on a 12month contract but this is ridiculous. Is the locking done at hardware level or software? Would a custom ROM (in time) sort it?

Edited by Dunhamzzz

Guest knightpants

I bought sim free also, spoken to o2 twice now, same thing, won't give me unlock code or even wait 14 days like others on the forum...just keep telling me it's exclusive to o2.......... :)

Guest stuliv12

spoke to O2, wont unlock my Streak until 12 months time. Even though i have bought it outright from CPW (which was still simlocked!) They did say that the people who were told 14 days wont actually get a code. The forms had been filled in but will be rejected! Lets wait and see huh!

Edited by stuliv12

Guest snpg

I spoke to O2 about mine which I got from CPW. They told me that I had to ask for the code from CPW as I bought it there!!!

Edited by snpg

Guest Dunhamzzz
I spoke to O2 about mine which I got from CPW. They told me that I had to ask for the code from CPW as I bought it there!!!

I was told this too - but from CPWH support - and they said they didn't do unlocking in store. It's a viscous cycle..

Guest griff_dai

I'm closing in on a code as I type this.

Question is, is the code to unlock generic? If so after I have used it I will post it on....

Not getting my Streak to next week though..

Dai

Guest stuliv12

now that would be worth testing if you need someone to try! :)

I did send an e-mail to o2 complaining, i can prove purchase and the phone will stay on o2, i just need to put different sims in when i am abroad! Monkeys!

i wouldnt think it is generic though, normally based individually by the IMEI , but im sure you are aware of that.

Edited by stuliv12

Guest griff_dai
now that would be worth testing if you need someone to try! :)

I did send an e-mail to o2 complaining, i can prove purchase and the phone will stay on o2, i just need to put different sims in when i am abroad! Monkeys!

i wouldnt think it is generic though, normally based individually by the IMEI , but im sure you are aware of that.

Well my friend is now waiting to hear back and she called in a favour for me so is hoping that she will get the code :-)

One of the dudes in the other thread has used a Rebel Sim card and got his Orange Sim working......

Dai

Guest toxxico
Well my friend is now waiting to hear back and she called in a favour for me so is hoping that she will get the code :-)

One of the dudes in the other thread has used a Rebel Sim card and got his Orange Sim working......

Dai

what's a rebel sim card how does it work?

Guest goodbrand

I'm sure there is some legal requirement in consumer law that they cannot actually withhold the sim unlock from you if you actually bought it outright... they can impose a service charge but thats all.

Guest griff_dai
I'm sure there is some legal requirement in consumer law that they cannot actually withhold the sim unlock from you if you actually bought it outright... they can impose a service charge but thats all.

Where did you hear that?

Guest jmaki

yep, i can confirm the rebel sim works great -- got it working on t-mobile uk. Also, fyi, you can use GiffGaff out of the box since it uses the O2 network (and works great for me, at least in my area)

Guest clickspace

I found this link on xda developers - https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&a...g&case=Hand It sends you to O2's "unlock your phone" page

I gave it a try with the PAYG sim that came with my streak, and I recieved an email a couple of hours later saying:

we can unlock your mobile phone only if it active and has been used on our network for a minimum period of 12 months. Also there's a charge of £15 for the unlocking code. This will be taken from your calltime balance. If you agree to this charge, please reply to this email with the following information:

Their reason behind having to be with O2 for 12 months was:

we can only give you the code if you've been on our network for at least a year. That's because we covered part of the price of your phone when you bought it, to make it cheaper for you.

Guest rovex

Ok ive got a Rebel SIM, but need some advice. Ive fitted a vodafone SIM and it works, but the phone has an R in the signal meter. Is that normal? Can i enable data and still be using vodafones network? I dont want a HUGE bill!

Guest Loconinja
we can only give you the code if you've been on our network for at least a year. That's because we covered part of the price of your phone when you bought it, to make it cheaper for you.

In that case, we can expect to see the direct-from-Dell price to be higher, when available?

Guest griff_dai
Ok ive got a Rebel SIM, but need some advice. Ive fitted a vodafone SIM and it works, but the phone has an R in the signal meter. Is that normal? Can i enable data and still be using vodafones network? I dont want a HUGE bill!

It should just work?

I don't know what the 'r' is as I don't have mine yet (Tuesday)

Can you get on the web through 3G?

Dai

Guest rovex
It should just work?

I don't know what the 'r' is as I don't have mine yet (Tuesday)

Can you get on the web through 3G?

Dai

Yes if i enter the APN manually and enable roaming. It IS going through vodafone, i havent turned off the content filter and if i try to go to a 'controversial' site the vodafone filter kicks in. Im guessing the roaming thing is just because the phones thinks its an O2 unit with some O2 branding..