'No Service' issues

Guest snpg

Finally got a replacement sim after having no phone at all for 3 days (thanks to O2 disconnecting my old sim before the new one arrived) and... exactly the same No Service issue, which was expected really.

But I managed to get hold of a HTC Tattoo and stuck the new sim in that. It also seems to have the same issue! - GSM fine, 3G dropping. Has anyone else with the No Service problem tried another 3G phone?

Contacted O2 support and they've took down all the details and will be (hopefully) sending engineers to check out their end and will contact me in a few days.

I have the same problem and now have my second Streak with no difference, I tried the SIM in another 3G phone (O2 Zest)and it was OK. But there is definately something interfering with the signal where I live, I don't have any drop in signal at work.

Maybe the Streak is ultra sensitive, it seems to switch between 3G and H all the time??

Guest Dogmann55

@dtop

I hope this doesn't sound bad but you do realise it only shows H when it's actively transferring data? and not when it is just connected to the Network for voice calls if it's not uploading or downloading Data it won't be displaying the H for HSDPA even if you are in an area that has cover so it will never alwyas just show an H.

Marc

Guest courtlandre
@dtop

I hope this doesn't sound bad but you do realise it only shows H when it's actively transferring data? and not when it is just connected to the Network for voice calls if it's not uploading or downloading Data it won't be displaying the H for HSDPA even if you are in an area that has cover so it will never alwyas just show an H.

Marc

Mine shows H even when its not transferring, or 3g or E. When I turn off data it goes away completely.

Guest unfitguy

I'm sure that a lot of Android devices suffer 3G issues personally I think its some flaw in the OS myc HTC Magic and Nexus One both did but worked perfectly fine in my nokia 5800

Switching between 3G and H is normal. Streak just shows real working channel.

And it depends on network strategy.

It may be normal, but it doesn't do it when i'm at work where i don't have any problems. When i'm at home it switches constantly even on the home screen when i'm not using data. i'ts just a difference i've noticed and might not mean anything?.

Guest AuirR
It may be normal, but it doesn't do it when i'm at work where i don't have any problems. When i'm at home it switches constantly even on the home screen when i'm not using data. i'ts just a difference i've noticed and might not mean anything?.

Are you sure no data transmission?

I think you can check up and down arrows beside 3G/H.

When one of them is on, it means there is data transmission.

Are you sure no data transmission?

I think you can check up and down arrows beside 3G/H.

When one of them is on, it means there is data transmission.

Yes, the arrows don't flash and besides i'm not connected to anything, just looking at the home screen

Guest Smartstradamus

Still awaiting my new o2 sim which they want me to use to test the signal issues I have, but my issue seems to be different to others.

My signal will not return unless I reboot the streak!

Does anybody else have this issue?

Guest courtlandre

Hey guys good news! I was experiencing the same problems as you yesterday. Okay, so its not the good new you were hoping.... but I've never had the problem. It seems to be location based though because it was happening only at a restaurant I was at with my friends. Everywhere else I've been I have not experienced the problem. Thing is, this restaurant is across the street from where I live and I don't have problems in my flat.

Hey guys good news! I was experiencing the same problems as you yesterday. Okay, so its not the good new you were hoping.... but I've never had the problem. It seems to be location based though because it was happening only at a restaurant I was at with my friends. Everywhere else I've been I have not experienced the problem. Thing is, this restaurant is across the street from where I live and I don't have problems in my flat.

I found the same thing after driving around testing it - moving a mile away from my house and its fine, yet in other areas its not. 30 miles away in a different city and problem occurs. Will that be an O2 network/tower or device problem then?

O2 are looking into it, they've rang me a few times for more details and tests so hopefully have a solution at some point!

Guest Magxs

Not so sure if its a network thing. While I also see this happening only in some areas, I also have a Blackberry on O2, which, when the Streak drops out, still has full signal and EDGE.

Doesn't make much sense...

Edited by Magxs

Guest ktzafGR

I do not have the streak since I am waiting for it to be available from Dell and unlocked, however I have an opinion on the matter from my experience with the 3Gs.

Some posts considered hardware issues and the one before mine sugested a crappy antenna. In all probability it is just an OS issue and nothing more. Let me explain and please correct me if you see a fault in my reasoning. I have my 3Gs jailbroken on Vodafone Greece, every time I swich the 3G on or off, I alway loose service, especially if I am in an area without or with low 3G signal. The worst thing is that it is not that service is just "lost" but the phone gets stuck in "searching" for ever. If I do not enter the carrier menu from settings the phone will never recover service and this is not specific to Vodafone but all the carriers that are available in Greece. (the phone is unlocked since in Greece it is not allowed by law to sell locked evices so there is no issue with unlocking or anything like that with the iphone)

By reading the posts on this thread personally I see this as a software issue on the device and how it is programmed to deal with the loss of the 3G connection. What another member posted, that it might have to do with switching cell towers for 3G signal makes sence. If the Streak loses 3G for an instance so that it may connect with the next tower it might regiser this as a "no service" issue and start looking for signal, thus all the problems that are reported here.

Maybe in 2.1 or 2.2 they give the devices a little bit more tollerance on the 3G issue and instead of "cutting off" service entirely, the device can default to GPRS until a 3G signal is regained. And here comes why I mentioned my jailbroken iPhone. On my device by using the SBS (lets call it a task manager for those not familiar with jailbroken iPhones) I enable both GPRS and 3G separately, this causes the phone to go to GPRS when I loose the 3G connection and thus I do not get the "no service" issue. However, if for any reason I decide to shut down the 3G, then I loose service and if I am in an area without 3G coverage I have to look for a network manually before I regain signal.

The matter is, has anyone tried out how the loss of 3G connection affects any other android handset on 1.6? Are there any similar behaviours?

Sorry for the long post.

Guest thelankygeek

to be honest these problems all stem from o2's bad network.

I work for carphonewarehouse and the amount of problems with o2 and the shoddy 3g overloaded network. its oversubscribed and the cells cant cope.

This will improve over time as they upgrade the network... the upgrade only policy on the new iphone4 is alot to do with this. As that many new smartphone connections would cripple the network

Guest courtlandre

Everyone having problems should download an app called "antennas". It shows where the towers are that you are using. Would be interesting to see if people having problems are switching towers alot or something.

Everyone having problems should download an app called "antennas". It shows where the towers are that you are using. Would be interesting to see if people having problems are switching towers alot or something.

I've just tried this app at home in Birkenhead where I always get 'No Service' dropouts on 3G. On Edge I am getting -69dbm (shown as 22) and only one cell tower is showing, it seems I am only a few streets away from it. On 3G it goes to -95dbm (shown as 10 then drops rapidly to 4 before going to No Service).

I'm not sure what that actually proves.

Edited by snpg

Guest courtlandre
I've just tried this app at home in Birkenhead where I always get 'No Service' dropouts on 3G. On Edge I am getting -69dbm (shown as 22) and only one cell tower is showing, it seems I am only a few streets away from it. On 3G it goes to -95dbm (shown as 10 then drops rapidly to 4 before going to No Service).

I'm not sure what that actually proves.

I was hoping to see if maybe it was switching towers when it dropped out.

Guest maskaler

I've just been in Finland for a few days and didn't experience the No Service issues at all when using 3G/Hwhatever/GPRS. I am now thinking it must be an O2 tower issue, and given the recent outages for O2 I'm wondering if this isn't just a part of that.

I've just been in Finland for a few days and didn't experience the No Service issues at all when using 3G/Hwhatever/GPRS. I am now thinking it must be an O2 tower issue, and given the recent outages for O2 I'm wondering if this isn't just a part of that.

If 02 issue why I didnt have any before Streak? With my HTC Touch HD and my friend HD2 doesnt have any signal dropping issue on same place for years now i dont have service in every 5 minutes. if I check the two phone side by side HD2 in full signal when Streak dropping. Than can means the Streak not compatible with O2 network :lol: i am Wimbledon and plenty of celltower around me

Edited by qq67

I have been on to O2 this morning to see if they have made any progress with the issue - they have sent me some settings to change. Looking at what they are I'm doubtful that it will do anything and maybe the woman has just sent me some generic settings, but I suppose it's worth a try. I can't test it till I'm back in a 3G area this evening so here they are if anyone else wants to try:

GPRS WAP & MMS

Please note all steps must be completed to ensure the settings are correctly configured.

Please ensure that when entering O2 into the settings that the letter O is selected and not a zero.

When entering the following information do not press Save until told to in the instructions.

1. Press the Menu key

2. Tap Settings

3. Tap Wireless controls

4. Tap Mobile networks

5. Tap Access Point Names

6. Press the Menu key

7. Tap New APN

8. Tap Name then tap the text box and enter O2 Pay and Go MMS then tap OK

9. Tap APN then tap the text box and enter wap.o2.co.uk then tap OK

10. Tap Proxy then tap the text box and enter 193.113.200.195 then tap OK

11. Tap Port then tap the text box and enter 8080 then tap OK

12. Tap Username then tap the text box and enter o2wap then tap OK

13. Tap Password then tap the text box and enter password then tap OK

14. Tap MMSC then tap the text box and enter http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002 then tap OK

15. Tap MMS proxy then tap the text box and enter 193.113.200.195 then tap OK

16. Tap MMS port then tap the text box and enter 8080 then tap OK

17. Tap MCC then tap the text box and enter 234 then tap OK

18. Tap MNC then tap the text box and enter 10 then tap OK

19. Tap APN type then tap mms (so a green dot appears next to it)

20. Press the Back key five times to return to the standby screen.