[HOW-TO] Downgrade HBOOT

Guest behnaam

Guest rhedgehog

WARNING:

Just tried this on a 0.83.0001 bootloader and am now getting the 'permission denied' error when trying to push the files across.

any ideas? I can;t even get the files across like i could on the 0.80 bootloader device.

Although on the upside, the Serial port profile in bluetooth now seems to work properly....

Edited by rhedgehog

• 2 weeks later...
Guest venturerider
WARNING:

Just tried this on a 0.83.0001 bootloader and am now getting the 'permission denied' error when trying to push the files across.

any ideas? I can;t even get the files across like i could on the 0.80 bootloader device.

Although on the upside, the Serial port profile in bluetooth now seems to work properly....

Sorry to revive an old thread, but does this technique actually work with HBOOT 0.83.0001? I would love to root my new Telus Desire!

Guest Ohalalyeah
THE ORIGINAL THREAD CAN BE FOUND HERE

After alot of playing around at the #modaco IRC and reading this thread I tried to actually downgrade my hboot from 0.75 to 0.66 (dont ask me how I got 0.66).

OBS! There is no reason to downgrade in case you already have hboot version 0.75 or a rooted 0.80 device. This guide is for future leaks of a ENG spl or such.

Now here are the steps I took:

1. Download a RUU with your desired HBOOT version. Note down the version of the RUU's ROM, e.g. 1.15.405.4.

You can find a list of RUU's here

2. Go to this mtd0.img CID generator

3. In the CID generator enter the ROM version you noted down and set CID to 11111111. Let it generate and download it.

4. Download flash_image binary from here and then do the following in adb while the phone is connected:

adb push /{the folder u downloaded it to}/flash_image /data

adb push /{the folder u downloaded it to}/mtd0.img /data
5. In terminal app type following:
chmod 755 /data/flash_image

/data/flash_image misc /data/mtd0.img
Now the mainversion is changed, so that the we pass the RUU's version checking. 6. Type the following while you're device is connected to adb:
adb reboot oem-78
It will now reboot into RUU mode. OBS! dont panic, its supposed to just a image, nothing more. Make sure USB cable is connected to the device by:
fastboot devices

If it returns with a device, then you're good.

7. Run the RUU and let it work. Enjoy your downgraded HBOOT version.

I finally managed to execute below commands successfully after typing "su" command in terminal app.

su [press enter]

chmod 755 /data/flash_image [press enter]

chmod 755 /data/mtd0.img [press enter]

Then I have done your Step 6, my Desire device showed "hTC" image while connected with the PC, HTC Sync was on, goldcard was in Desire (have tried not using goldcard also). But I don't understand what you meant by

"If it returns with a device, then you're good"

Then I run the RUU at hboot 0.75 (my Desire is currently 0.80), it said ERROR 140 Bootloader version error. What went wrong? Pls help!

Guest Raz2133
I finally managed to execute below commands successfully after typing "su" command in terminal app.

su [press enter]

chmod 755 /data/mtd0.img [press enter]

Then I have done your Step 6, my Desire device showed "hTC" image while connected with the PC, HTC Sync was on, goldcard was in Desire (have tried not using goldcard also). But I don't understand what you meant by

"If it returns with a device, then you're good"

Then I run the RUU at hboot 0.75 (my Desire is currently 0.80), it said ERROR 140 Bootloader version error. What went wrong? Pls help!

The commands you typed in the terminal are incorrect.

Try this...

su [press enter]

/data/flash_image misc /data/mtd0.img [press enter]

There is actually an easier way to downgrade your bootblock.

Since your Desire is already rooted, you just need to use a custom recovery to apply the update.zip from the thread below.

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...d-b0rked-fixed/

You do not need to follow the other instructions in that thread, you just need to apply the update.zip linked there.

That particular update.zip was created to fix the USB brick issue, but it also allows you to run an earlier RUU and downgrade your bootblock.

In short; copy update.zip to sdcard - boot into custom recovery - apply the update.zip - reboot phone - connect to PC - run RUU file

Edited by Raz2133

Guest Ohalalyeah
The commands you typed in the terminal are incorrect.

Try this...

su [press enter]

/data/flash_image misc /data/mtd0.img [press enter]

There is actually an easier way to downgrade your bootblock.

Since your Desire is already rooted, you just need to use a custom recovery to apply the update.zip from the thread below.

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...d-b0rked-fixed/

You do not need to follow the other instructions in that thread, you just need to apply the update.zip linked there.

That particular update.zip was created to fix the USB brick issue, but it also allows you to run an earlier RUU and downgrade your bootblock.

In short; copy update.zip to sdcard - boot into custom recovery - apply the update.zip - reboot phone - connect to PC - run RUU file

Great! Your instructions are more clear! I've downgraded the hboot by flashing a RUU rom, but ................

I've flashed RUU_Bravo_hTC_Asia_HK_CHT_1.01.832.1_Radio_32.26.0 0.24U_4.04.00.03_2_test_132015 and there are 3 problems:

1. hboot becomes 0.66 now

2. it says no update when I do upgrade through OTA

3. it has a band saying that it is HTC confidential ROM on each screen after I flash this RUU rom.

The plan of downgrading hboot from 0.80 to 0.75 and unrooting my Desire is to flash an older version of RUU HK rom, and then upgrade it to latest HK official ROM through OTA with the unrooted state. Then in future I can upgrade my Desire to 2.2 HK official rom through OTA.

But my plan is failed due to the above reason. Can anyone help?!

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest desaster

i think i need help. i want to downgrade my unrooted desire(amoled) from hboot 0.92.

i tried to flash the pb99img with fastboot/ruu on win xp 32 system. after the first run it has an error (90 hboot pre update) and the screen switched off.

the second run works fine but the screen is still blank. "fastboot getvar all" says its hboot 0.80. mainversion 2.09.

after that i tried to fix the misc, but i have no root and in recovery i cant see the output. but cause i have tried many things i guess the "apply update.zip from sdcard" ends with "signature verify fail"

then i tried to start RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2. it says rom version 1.21, but ends with "bootloader version error"

the only rom i can flash is RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.09.405.8 with damn hboot 0.92.

i´m at my wit´s end. can anybody help me please?

excuse my bad english but i´m from germany.

Edited by desaster

Guest wiggy6230

Hi Desaster,

I followed the guide at this link, it details everything you need and has video hows as well, which are good to watch as a visual to the written guides.

I was on an OTA 2.2, bootloader upgraded to 0.92 and have managed to downgrade to 0.80 and then root and update to 2.2 as per the guide I flash using the unrevoked method decribed. Also my HTC Desire has an AMOLED screen.

I have flashed a few MoDaCo custom R8 ROMs and not had any problems.

http://www.android-tutorials.org/dev/?page_id=78

Also a very good question and asnwer section at this link on XDA.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=749551

I am far from an expert in this, I read and learn alot from the forums.

All CREDIT to the Originators.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Guest desaster

Thank you Doug,

but my problem has changed a little. i have managed to get root with unrevoke, then i fixed the misc, made a clean install of a stock rom 1.21.504.2 hboot 0.80, unrevoked again but i still have a black screen.

my display is amoled.

Perhaps your links will give me the help i need to solve the problem.

how can i flash 2.09.405.8-update-bravo-stock-rooted-withradio-signed clockworkmod when i cant see anthing??

thanks once again.

edit: it seems i still have problems with the screen. it is still black. i have root in all adb modes. need some good tips pls.

what can i do to fix this blackscreen problem. i dont want to upgrade hboot. i am sure i have no slcd.

Edited by desaster

• 2 weeks later...
1. Download a RUU with your desired HBOOT version. Note down the version of the RUU's ROM, e.g. 1.15.405.4.

You can find a list of RUU's here

Guys... can't download any of RUU's ROM as mentioned in the above step. Site has now moved. Can anyone point me to somewhere else where I can downloada an Australian ROM for my Australian handset please.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest ndbubbles

hopefully this thread is still alive..

ok. iv now checked my my HBOOT and it's 0.93.001 i need to put it to a earlier 1, i see people mentioning 0.82 .

is mine still possible to roll back to 0.80 or lower .. oh and the CiD generator link i do believe to not be the correct link now :lol:

Edited by ndbubbles

Guest ndbubbles

i was going by the riskfreeroot by paul thread on here. it says that you need a lower HBOOT 0.80 or lower to use that way of puting a new rom on.

is there a differant way to applie a new root that i have misses?

Guest ndbubbles

wow thanks. :) i havnt seen any threads to let people know about this method you have took all my confusion away now :lol: hopefully now that is cleared up i can do this desire ...

thanks ..

hmm ok i have tried using this programme before and it doesnt seem to reconise the desire :) it says make sure that "sync" isnt installed. does it mean on the desire or laptop??

now its askin to install ADB drivers and these are? ughh

Edited by ndbubbles

wow thanks. :) i havnt seen any threads to let people know about this method you have took all my confusion away now :lol: hopefully now that is cleared up i can do this desire ...

thanks ..

hmm ok i have tried using this programme before and it doesnt seem to reconise the desire :) it says make sure that "sync" isnt installed. does it mean on the desire or laptop??

now its askin to install ADB drivers and these are? ughh

Check the unrevoked FAQ. You'll find the drivers there. Install them. Also remove HTC Sync if you have it installed on your PC.

Guest ndbubbles

i have looked on there FAQ . i found the android driver pack for connectin the desire. i havnt seen the ADB drivers though :lol:

i will look again for the ADB drivers

thanks for the replies to those that are helping me :)

Guest ndbubbles

yea i got those drivers and installed, laptop shows android mobile connected under computer-manage-devices. unrevoked just wont reconise the desire is there :lol:

.followed the steps. plug desire in set to charge battery and tried set as disc drive. enabled usb debugging and still doesnt show its connected :)

something is maybe interuptin the connection

Edited by ndbubbles

HTC Sync if you have it on your computer.

But I had problems on my Windows 7 x64 PC. So try on a different computer if you can. It worked on my Windows 7 32bit laptop and on Ubuntu.