Accessories for the desire and their cons and pros and usefullness

Guest kav

I just installed the full body invisible shield on my htc desire.

I really have to mention that it is a real pain in the a** to get this done perfectly. I somehow messed it up.(which is very easy to do so)

First there is not enough solution in the spray to wet the fingertips and the screens. it gets used up really fast and the solution dries really fast on the finger tips so that u have to spray often or it gets fingerprints on the shield.

the thing that is not mentioned is that then u peel off the shield it attracts micro dust particles on the adhesive side and spraying it doesnt take them off and u cant realise this before the setting of the shield after 24hrs, specially on the screen (even if it is cleaned pristine before application of the shield). the micro bubbles that they mention will go away after 24 hrs, is not really true IMHO. on mine its still there, even after 36hrs. and i didnt touch the device for 26hrs after applying the shield.and i can tell u that i counted those hours to make sure.

as far as the precision cut for the desire goes, i can say that none of the parts are actually precisely cut,if u align in on one side, u will find that on the other side it is shorter and if placed exactly in the middle there is a gap on both sides.

the corners are a hell. they are extremely difficult to get them to stick and even using the 'palming method', it still peels off after a while.

the back side is actually not so aesthetic since on the desire the back cover is a matt black and placing the shield makes it all shiny, thus losing the classy look and feel of the back cover.

anyways, i would not really disregard this product since it protects the device, which matters the most here, properly( not in all places though), and even if its a bit expensive, it comes with a lifetime guarantee. but it is a real pain to get in on.

doesnt say on the package that u need to perform this shield application in a totally hermetic and sterile environment( to avoid small dust sticking on the adhesive side which is impossible to get off), but i very strongly recommend u to do so, and probably add a pair of tweezers or maybe 2 in your shopping list to help with the holding and placement of the shield as like i mentioned before, the solution which u are supposed to spray on the finger tips , it dries off in a few seconds, leaving u with the shield still in the hand and therefore getting annoying fingerprints on the back.

just wanted to share my 2 cents of experience here. hope this might help someone else.

btw it is really much harder than on those youtube videos demonstrating how to place it on devices. the iphone is easy, since its only 2 simple flat shields, but desire is made of more bent chassis, classy buttons and an awesome optical trackpad.

Edited by kav

Guest bob463

I agree with every word you said.

It really a pain in the a## to install it right.

The cuts doesn't align with each other as they should.

My micro bubbles are still there and a the dust as well.

I'm really disappointed with this produced.

The phone now has a "plastic" look and feel.

I just hope that it will shield from those scratches.

I agree with every word you said.

It really a pain in the a## to install it right.

The cuts doesn't align with each other as they should.

My micro bubbles are still there and a the dust as well.

I'm really disappointed with this produced.

The phone now has a "plastic" look and feel.

I just hope that it will shield from those scratches.

well mine got scratched after a few hours of use. probably defective product/unit. i contacted the shop where i bought it and they offered to replace it immediately and sent already one in the post... waiting 'eagerly' for it

Edited by kav

Guest jolehacker

Q: My SHIELD won't stick on the corners, what do I do?

A: Leave your device (with the SHIELD on it) alone for 10-15 minutes, and then try to stick it down. If it still doesn't stick, give it a few more minutes and try again. Repeat this process as needed. We recommend this 10-15 minute wait period because the invisibleSHIELD will dry out and become more tacky if you wait any longer and you will, most likely, not be able re-apply it at that point.

Q: My solution bottle came empty or leaked. How can I get more?

A: Our SHIELDSpray™ application solution is mostly a water-based solution, so if your bottle doesn't have solution in it, we suggest just filling it up with water. There is usually enough residue left in the bottle from the original solution, so just filling it up with water again should make it work just fine! If you run out during the installation, you can still refill the bottle up to 2-3 more times and still have the same effect.

Q: Some of these pieces are so little! How do I put them on?

A: While keeping your fingers moist, carefully pick up the SHIELD on an edge and lightly mist it before laying it down on the device. If these pieces become especially wet, they might not start to stick for a few minutes. If this does happen, please be patient in waiting for them to dry, and stick. See "Special Tips" for more information.

Using a lamp as a very low source of heat can help speed up the installation process, particularly for some of the more complex invisibleSHIELD designs. A lamp with an extendable arm, such as an office lamp, can be used to slightly heat the invisibleSHIELD and help it to adhere. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND LEAVING YOUR DEVICE UNDER HEAT FOR ANY EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME, WHICH COULD DAMAGE THE ELECTRONICS.

"Palming"

Our installers use a technique for securing problematic corners and edges called "palming." Begin by aligning the invisibleSHIELD in the correct position and removing as much of the excess moisture as possible. Then, apply pressure to the tabs and flaps by holding them against the palm of your hand for 30 seconds to 1 minute. This process may need to be repeated several times, but will help secure difficult pieces.

Blow Dryer

A blow dryer is also very useful for corners, tabs, and edges when installing the invisibleSHIELD. The best method is to put the blow dryer on the lowest and coolest setting, and use a side-to-side sweeping motion to dry the piece or section. If the blow dryer is on a warm or hot setting it can slightly warp the invisibleSHIELD. If this does happen, discontinue using the blow dryer and the invisibleSHIELD should return to the proper shape in 10 to 15 minutes.

this perhaps help you.

Edited by jolehacker

Guest jolehacker
been there, read it and done it. doesnt help at all. but thnx anyway for trying.

ok i did just bought for the screen. my frist one did get badword up so i did have to try with another one :)

it's hard to get it right

Guest MarvinFS

well i bought full cover invisishield sulution for desire...

i have to say application of the shield itself is quite unusual but had no probs with it...

the only thing was i had to re-apply front screen cover after i noticed strong fingerprints on the back side so i just wet it again and re-apply that's all

it dried out in about 2-3 hours and then you are good to go...

still, i think the best solution is to use pair of medical rubber gloves to exclude fingerprints...

also i had no issues with corners, neither i used any additional dryer...

funny stuff: for now i'm using it about 1.5 month and my front screen is noticeable scratched... i did it with metal spoon while demonstrating scratch resistance to guys in bar... (actually i didn't apply much power) so the cover is not so resistant in the end, but screen itself and other body parts are protected well...

Edited by MarvinFS

i am not so sure about the scratch proof claim of the zagg shield anymore. it seems real on youtube videos but when u get the real product and use it within reason, it does get scratched. so why is it selling for $25????

when i say use within reason, i mean use with fingers to tap on screen or sometimes with a PDA stylus, in and out of jeans pocket, on the car dashboard..... and it does leave scratch marks on the film, hopefully thus protecting the screen, but then is it any different from any other screen protectors selling for ~$4 for 5pcs?

Guest srooks

I have the full body shield. Managed to drop my Desire this week whilst getting out of the car. Phone fell onto the bottom edge (usb end), very disappointed to say that it didn't prevent damage to the phone. Now have a big impact area on the bottom of the phone through the zagg shield. I'm sure a gel case would have been much tougher.

Also can confirm that the edges have now started to peel off, at the curved ends. Really could do with some new sides.

steve

I have the full body shield. Managed to drop my Desire this week whilst getting out of the car. Phone fell onto the bottom edge (usb end), very disappointed to say that it didn't prevent damage to the phone. Now have a big impact area on the bottom of the phone through the zagg shield. I'm sure a gel case would have been much tougher.

Also can confirm that the edges have now started to peel off, at the curved ends. Really could do with some new sides.

steve

if u contact the shop where u bought it or zagg, u will get a replacement for free, but then u will have to go through the pain of installing it all over again.

i am starting to think its a waste of money with this thing. probably would be better to insvest ina asilicone gel case and a mirror reflective pack of protective screen films. turns out to be a bit cheaper than the zagg, and probably better.

Edited by kav

Guest crisdo98
if u contact the shop where u bought it or zagg, u will get a replacement for free, but then u will have to go through the pain of installing it all over again.

i am starting to think its a waste of money with this thing. probably would be better to insvest ina asilicone gel case and a mirror reflective pack of protective screen films. turns out to be a bit cheaper than the zagg, and probably better.

You can return it (post it to USA) for a full refund within 45 days of purchase. This is what I did as I was far from satisfied. The precision cut was rubbish and it had a very grippy touch to the screen after applying... went for a ÂŁ1 screen protector which I'll replace every month or two after it gets a little damaged. Gel case also is much better for protection.

Zagg=Rubbish... got me buggered how on earth they got listed and why they are so huge! :S

Guest EDBANGER

Gotta say I applied mine fairly easily and found it to lineup perfectly. You can barely tell it's there coz I did such a top notch job. :-)

Guest technaudio
Gotta say I applied mine fairly easily and found it to lineup perfectly. You can barely tell it's there coz I did such a top notch job. :-)

Me too.

PATIENCE IS THE KEY!!!!!!!

If you've ever applied window tint to car windows, you'll know...

Rush it and itll end up looking like a 1 litre vauxhall corsa's rear window (max power sticker optional...)

Guest PandaKiller

I bought a Soft Crystal GEL Case on eBay and it cost me about ÂŁ1.49.

It is a fabulous.

It's a single piece flexible and smooth.

It easy to insert / remove and protect the full body.

I love it =)

Guest Namtaffy

I put a bse on my desire. Basically the same thing as invisible shield. And although I was able to apply it perfectly it spoiled the look of the phone and made the screen far too grippy. ended up getting a pack of 8 normal protectors for a few quid. those along with phone insurance should do the job. now what I want to see are screen protectors with an oleophobic coating :)

getting mine replaced. the new unit is in the mail already from the shop. but i agree with the grippy feel on teh screen. it feels like it the fingers get stuck on the screen when u want to scroll. anyways,, got myself a resing gel case from ebay, waiting for that to come as well.

will change the invisible shield and give it one more chance.. if its still annoying me, i saw some mirror effect screen protectors for the desire on ebay, and it comes pretty cheap for a pack of 5 and looks like it doesnt ave this sticky feel, so i might consider that.

will keep u posted abt the "products" and accessories i get for the desire.. if anyone wants to comment on any other accessories they got for the desire and the price they got it for. please just leave some lines here... i guess this will help a lot of us to decide on accessories to get for our htc desire.

happy to hear that u got it right. most of us tried to get to line up properly without success.

even when i placed it on the exact lines, or exactly in the middle, the shield that i received was too short either on one side or on both sides, leaving an area of the screen not protected.

like i mentioned, i am getting a free replacement, so i will give it a try and see.

and for the record, i had a lot of patience in applying this shield. i spent almost 1 1/2 to 2 hrs to get it done properly, and now the sides are peeling off. i even tried the palming method, still its peeling off and i have to press it most of the time now. it sticks for a few minutes then peels off again.... anyway, at least i tried this product so i know that it is definetly not as what they advertise it to be.

Guest crisdo98
Me too.

PATIENCE IS THE KEY!!!!!!!

If you've ever applied window tint to car windows, you'll know...

Rush it and itll end up looking like a 1 litre vauxhall corsa's rear window (max power sticker optional...)

Nice work guys. Can you upload us a pic of how your looks because I'm pretty good with this kind of thing and mine didn't line up as precise as I think it should have been.. Would be nice to see how a professional install of this protector should look. thanks

got my replacement before the weekend and installed it, but still mamaned to get some micro dust on the adhesive side. ;) anyways...

this time i tried my best to get it aligned, and this screen film was a little bit bigger than the previous one that got damaged, but still it doesnt fit the lines perfectly. so abt the precision cut... my a**!!.

there is not a single precision cut in this zagg thing, its just mass production and press cuts with machines, no such thing as laser precision cut or that kind of crap. I think its just BS the presicion sh** so that they can ask $25-30 for than thing that is not even scratch resistant, let alone scratch proof like they claim.

Guest lardog

The Zagg Shield is only good as a scratch resistant protection. It work very well on the screen. I have put on the full body and yes, it is difficult but not impossible. You definitely have to wash your hands and get rid of any rag or fine lint producing objects. Even a cotton t-shirt sheds tons of fine lint. Try not to move your body or anything thing else that would disturb the air. As soon as you peel the paper off on the plastic make sure you spray it with the solution, it will get rid of the static that sucks lint in. Its actually best if you can do the work at a kitchen counter top so you can use a water spray bottle to fine mist the air where you are working. That will also get rid of the lint. The only other problem is to take it nice and slow.. don't use to much pressure when squeegeeing the screen, to do it right you need a minimum of 30min and don't use it for at least an hour. Check and make sure the edges are not coming up before you use it or do anything else with it.

Hope it helps!! ;)

Guest Sashimi

frak, why didn't I find this topic before I ordered a full body zagg...

Hope it'll be ok...

Edited by Sashimi

got my epik resin dot case a few days ago. been using it and i find it very good for the price i got it.

it has a very tight fit, and by tight i mean very very tight, but thats a good thing i suppose as the device doesnt dangle in the case.

the only thing is that if u have a screen protector or full body protector, then u have to be very careful while inserting the case, since u may easily "peel off" the protector film on the edges while placing the case.

otherwise, very happy with the case, its classy and protects the device. gives it a little bit of bulk though, but thats not a problem for me as long as it keeps my investment in a good condition.

actually i got 2 of the cases, a black charcoal transparent one and a clear "white" one and would definitely recommend those cases.

happy shopping..... ;)