Hardware hacking this puppy, input?

Guest popetodd

Guest alfafa

hi guys,

Manage to upgrade to my 4g class 4 sdhc (kingmax). So far running fine.

Is there any new compilation of upgrade to a larger size microsd with all the fixes??

Thks in advance.

Guest gypsydigi

Ok. after re-reading this thread a few times over i still have questions.

My replacement screen just came in and i ordered a new memory card (should be here any day now).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=190502482988

So with that new class10 4GB card... do i need a special boot.img file if i am not using any of the extra place? is it a matter of DD'ing under linux my old memory card to my new one? Or will i have to update the boot.img file after every flash?

thanks again guys. much appreciated. I'll be sure to do a complete write up with photos.

Guest kwenteen
Ok. after re-reading this thread a few times over i still have questions.

My replacement screen just came in and i ordered a new memory card (should be here any day now).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=190502482988

So with that new class10 4GB card... do i need a special boot.img file if i am not using any of the extra place? is it a matter of DD'ing under linux my old memory card to my new one? Or will i have to update the boot.img file after every flash?

thanks again guys. much appreciated. I'll be sure to do a complete write up with photos.

Hello, in any case, you ll have to do the dd commands, to keep your datas. Once you have done this part, you can put your new 4GB in the internal sdcard.

Then you can find out by yourself if everything is fine or not, by doing an adb shell connection once your phone rebooted, then typing mount. Past the result here so we can see if it worked!

There's another possibility, if you don t care about your data, you can just swap the memories, and do a factory reset. It should prepare your new sd automatically if it recognize it and you won t have to bother with the modified boot.img. if not, you ll have to make the swap again and prepare your new sdcard as explained in this thread and then you ll have to use a modified boot.img...

Good luck,

Boujou bien,

K.

Guest Android Junky
There's another possibility, if you don t care about your data, you can just swap the memories, and do a factory reset. It should prepare your new sd automatically if it recognize it and you won t have to bother with the modified boot.img. if not, you ll have to make the swap again and prepare your new sdcard as explained in this thread and then you ll have to use a modified boot.img...

Hello

I have actually the same questions. So I read your last post and try'd the following:

Inserted a 16GB class 10 micro sdhc in the internal slot.

After rebooting the phone told me "preparing the sd card" or similar.

Then I connected the phone via USB.

This is the mount result:

$ mount

mount

rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0

tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755 0 0

devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0

proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0

sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0

/dev/block/mtdblock6 /system yaffs2 ro,relatime 0 0

/dev/block/mtdblock7 /firstboot yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0

/dev/block/mtdblock7 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0

tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0

/dev/block/vold/179:17 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,

llow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

/dev/block/vold/179:17 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,

llow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0

So what can I read here?

Thanks

Guest kwenteen
/dev/block/mtdblock7 /data yaffs2 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime 0 0

So what can I read here?

Thanks

Well to put it simple, and that is no surprise, your innersd is not recognized, and thus not used. As it has been already said, bigger card than 4 GB cannot be used directly by the system, you have to prepare it manually, then use a custom boot.img! Just prepare the card by doing a dd from your old one to the new one, then create a new partition of whats left on your new sd, if you wanna use it of course! (Make it ext3)

Good luck!

Boujou bien,

K.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MACQUEYL
I use the following code with gscript to power off the device (or if you want to quickly reboot, remove the -p from reboot line):

umount -l /sdcard/intsd

reboot -p
Using "locale" from marketplace with some plugins I was finally able to mount the intsd automatically on boot and to make the mediascan without needing to do it manually. Now I need the manual mount / umount only when connecting the sdcard for mass storage (but with android commander I don't use mass storage too much).
Where exactly did you substitute your code (
umount -l /sdcard/intsd AND reboot -p

)?

Guest MACQUEYL
My internal SD card appears to have bit the bullet, looking to replace it. Is the tut on page 5 the most up to date one, and is there any difficulties with particular card classes or sizes? Also, anything that has changed since that tutorial was written in regards to running the newest Streakdroids?

I have the same questions?

Are the tutorial instructions on page 5 the FINAL instructions, regardless of what type/capacity of card I want to use? Is anyone aware of an easier non-programmer tutorial? All the added changes that people have posted throughout this thread makes it very difficult to understand.

For the record, I'm aware that I will have to do everything manually in order to have full access to the 32gb card I'm installing, but if it was explained in layman terms, that would be awesome.

Thanks for all the scarey work that everyone has done!

Edited by MACQUEYL

Guest garbagecanman

So whats the status on this??? So basically after reading through im gathering that you can upgrade internal storage to 32gb for apps and stuff but the problem lies in upgrading to 32 gb and lets say using half for apps and mounting the other half for mass storage...

Thanks, very interesting thread

Guest kwenteen
So whats the status on this??? So basically after reading through im gathering that you can upgrade internal storage to 32gb for apps and stuff but the problem lies in upgrading to 32 gb and lets say using half for apps and mounting the other half for mass storage...

Thanks, very interesting thread

The status is what you read... if you follow the how-to (pretty messed now, I will redo it maybe, simplifying it...), you will end up with a intSD with the original space for /data and /cache (both taking 2GB) and the rest for storage... that will be mounted at /intsd folder.

With this mod, you cannot access to your innersd as a usb drive, and if you want to mount as a usb drive your externalsd, you have to delete first the bind -o mount .... and to accede to the /intsd folder, you'll have to use the ./adb push command... no usbmass storage mode...

you can turn off your phone as usual, and the upgrade toward another rom is easily done, you just have to replace the original boot.img located inside the update.zip with the one corresponding, provided in this thread...

just for you to know : after having prepared the futur intsd, you can just flash the new boot.img, it will work...

you 'll just have to use gscript to do a manual link from /intsd to a folder inside the sdcard, so the sytem can access media stocked in the /intsd folder, by doing a rescan of the media.

I'm looking for a way to automatically mount the /intsd folder inside /mnt/sdcard during boot, so no need for rescan the media... or even better, use the same kind of system that is used in the galaxy S, that both use internal sd and an external sd... But I don't own a galaxy S, and noone provided me the data I needed yet...

Guest Sader0

Guys I have a complete bricked streak on my hands(no charge, no pc recognition etc)....bricked during fastboot flashing, pc just hanged, and voila :-(

So I wonder - is it possible to recreate partitions on internal sd card, to make it work ? Or this is a flash memory issue that can only be solved via ORT JTAG ?

Can anyone point me to the right post in this topic ?

Thanks a lot for yr help

P.S. Dissasembled and ready to try, nothing to loose anyway

Guest kwenteen
Guys I have a complete bricked streak on my hands(no charge, no pc recognition etc)....bricked during fastboot flashing, pc just hanged, and voila :-(

So I wonder - is it possible to recreate partitions on internal sd card, to make it work ? Or this is a flash memory issue that can only be solved via ORT JTAG ?

Can anyone point me to the right post in this topic ?

Thanks a lot for yr help

P.S. Dissasembled and ready to try, nothing to loose anyway

partitions in the inersd are ONLY /data and /cache...

so no way modifying them will solve your trouble... sorry !

I'm pretty sure that flashboot wrong flash aren't permanent... you sure you tried everything ?

good luck anyway !

boujou bien,

K.

Guest Niraj Kumar
partitions in the inersd are ONLY /data and /cache...

so no way modifying them will solve your trouble... sorry !

I'm pretty sure that flashboot wrong flash aren't permanent... you sure you tried everything ?

good luck anyway !

boujou bien,

K.

------------------------------------------------

Hey Guyz, I have accidentally deleted the System.img, Boot.img from System Partition. (My PC hung after delete and before it could move the files. All was in a .BAT file..Boom...stuck half way and gone). Now the Phone is dead. No Boot, not recognized by PC, No LEDs nothing. Its just dead whatever I try. Is it possible for someone to please upload the Internal SD partition files, so that I can strip my Tablet and put the files there. Also do I still need to use ORT JTAG. If so can someone please guide me through. Its heart wrenching to see the bricked streak.

Guest Sader0
------------------------------------------------

Hey Guyz, I have accidentally deleted the System.img, Boot.img from System Partition. (My PC hung after delete and before it could move the files. All was in a .BAT file..Boom...stuck half way and gone). Now the Phone is dead. No Boot, not recognized by PC, No LEDs nothing. Its just dead whatever I try. Is it possible for someone to please upload the Internal SD partition files, so that I can strip my Tablet and put the files there. Also do I still need to use ORT JTAG. If so can someone please guide me through. Its heart wrenching to see the bricked streak.

Try the solution described on streakdorid

Visit

p.s. it was not working for me. will try again today xD :-(

I case there is no detection by PC(try several on diff usb ports) then JTAG is the way....

personally dont mind doing the JTAG repair, however such services are not provided in my country.

Edited by Sader0

Guest kwenteen
Just looking at buying a 32gb card to give this a try. I am running Steve's V1.1.1 froyo - so I guess I may have to go back to 2.1 to get this to work...

Does anyone one know whether a boot.img will be made for Steve's build? or would your boot.img possibly work as is? Sadly no experience of creating a boot.img, would anyone who has experience in doing this (Stephen Davidson & others?) create an amended boot.img based on Steves build.

This would be an amazing combination - and substantially better than anything else that is available on the market ;-)

Here's hoping that there will be a boot.img soon ;-)

Bob

If you had read till the end of the thread, you'll have noticed all the boot.img for almost every versions of streakdroid.... :unsure: :)

so you can use this mod even with the last 190 version !

so yes, you can use this great mod, and it works very well !

boujou bien,

K.

Guest Amdathlonuk

Well, I've just read all 13 pages and I'm none the wiser :unsure:

I have a 32Gb Streak and would love to move my External 32Gb card into the internal.

So I have a few questions:

1. If I successfully do this can I have a BIGGER data partition for apps (16Gb)?

2. Will the remainder of the card be accessible as extra storage?

3. If yes to the remainder as storage how do I access it?

4. Can I then add another 32Gb card as an external and have say 16Gb as data and 48Gb as storage?

5. Can someone rewrite the instructions in laymans terms? I can fastboot and ADB...etc but I'n not familiar with Linux...etc (I have Ubuntu installed but I really only use it to format my cards as Ext3 when I need them).

Cheers

JJ

Guest 1Quik7
Well, I've just read all 13 pages and I'm none the wiser :unsure:

I have a 32Gb Streak and would love to move my External 32Gb card into the internal.

So I have a few questions:

1. If I successfully do this can I have a BIGGER data partition for apps (16Gb)?

2. Will the remainder of the card be accessible as extra storage?

3. If yes to the remainder as storage how do I access it?

4. Can I then add another 32Gb card as an external and have say 16Gb as data and 48Gb as storage?

5. Can someone rewrite the instructions in laymans terms? I can fastboot and ADB...etc but I'n not familiar with Linux...etc (I have Ubuntu installed but I really only use it to format my cards as Ext3 when I need them).

Cheers

JJ

I've been following this thread for a while now and this is my end understanding.

Yes, you can use a 32GB card as your internal SD, taking only 2GB for the system and leaving the rest for data/apps/etc. So technically you could have around 30GB internal storage plus 32GB external storage.

However, it seems all moot at the moment because there is currently no way to easily access stored data in the newly expanded internal SD. I'm a little fuzzy on that part, but it seems you'd have to unmount the inner SD, possibly power down, and use ADB, etc. It can't be accessed at will like the external SD.

I'm currently deciding if I'm going to do this upgrade, I really don't know what I need static internal memory for at the moment. If they find a while to access the external/internal at the same time I'm definitely going to do it.

Guest Amdathlonuk
I've been following this thread for a while now and this is my end understanding.

Yes, you can use a 32GB card as your internal SD, taking only 2GB for the system and leaving the rest for data/apps/etc. So technically you could have around 30GB internal storage plus 32GB external storage.

However, it seems all moot at the moment because there is currently no way to easily access stored data in the newly expanded internal SD. I'm a little fuzzy on that part, but it seems you'd have to unmount the inner SD, possibly power down, and use ADB, etc. It can't be accessed at will like the external SD.

I'm currently deciding if I'm going to do this upgrade, I really don't know what I need static internal memory for at the moment. If they find a while to access the external/internal at the same time I'm definitely going to do it.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I was thinking along those sort of lines but it was getting blurry for me :unsure:

Agreed, I would need to be able to access the extra internal like the external so until this is possible it won't be worth me making this mod at present.

However, that said, there's some bloody clever people on here who've got it this far! BRAVO :) :P

• 3 weeks later...
Guest danielkaboom

sorry, but i need a little help here if no one mind,..

i try to change my internal sd card from 8gb to 32gb,..first i change to 8gb with no problem, what i did is just replace my internal sd with formatted (2gb systam/ext2, 1gb cache/ext3, and the rest with data/ext4).

but when i repeat the same step as above, my dell won't recognize the new 32gb (using patriot class10), won't boot, but when i do nandroid restore, it booted up but recognize only free 80mb.

can you please tell me where i went wrong? i've formatted th 32 with 3gb system/ext2, and rest with data/ext3, but no luck. using Gparted from ubuntu.

please help me.

and sorry for my bad english.

thanks.

edit : when i do recovery mode, this message appear :

E:Can't mount /dev/block/innersd0p5

(No such file or directory)

E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/log

Error mounting /cache/!

Edited by danielkaboom

Guest cyruspy
My internal SD went bad also, what I did instead of kwenteen's way was install new microSD, load up a nandroid backup and then I reinstalled from zero. Going back to stock o2 2.1 and crawl all the way up to 1.1.1 which is what I use :D

What you can do is this.

Make a nandroid backup of your working streak , on the dead streak (after memory replacement) load up your nandroid backup, I would recommend to install a stock rom first, better if its an early 2.1, then you can take your own route from there either go stock Dell or Steve's 1.5.1 or any version of your preference.

Hope it helps in some way.

Good luck and post your results :D

My internal SD is frequently giving e2fsck errors at startup and the phone is reformatting itself. How did you come to the conclusion that your internal memory went bad?

Guest kwenteen
sorry, but i need a little help here if no one mind,..

i try to change my internal sd card from 8gb to 32gb,..first i change to 8gb with no problem, what i did is just replace my internal sd with formatted (2gb systam/ext2, 1gb cache/ext3, and the rest with data/ext4).

but when i repeat the same step as above, my dell won't recognize the new 32gb (using patriot class10), won't boot, but when i do nandroid restore, it booted up but recognize only free 80mb.

can you please tell me where i went wrong? i've formatted th 32 with 3gb system/ext2, and rest with data/ext3, but no luck. using Gparted from ubuntu.

please help me.

and sorry for my bad english.

thanks.

edit : when i do recovery mode, this message appear :

E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/log

Error mounting /cache/!

Hello ! are you using a modded boot.img ?

If not, please do so...

Guest danielkaboom
Hello ! are you using a modded boot.img ?

If not, please do so...

hello too kwenteen,

i already using it,..then i formatted the new 32gb with partition 2gb extended (256 ext3 and 1,8gb ext3), the rest with ext4 or fat32. But my dell only recognize the 2 gb, and can't recognice the rest of free memory (29gb).

can you please tell, step by step if it's not bothering you,..i guess not every1 understand bout this (especially me), but i really want to have a try. succes when trying 8Gb, but failed when using 32.

please help,..and thanks a lot for your reply.

Edited by danielkaboom

Guest kwenteen
hello too kwenteen,

i already using it,..then i formatted the new 32gb with partition 2gb extended (256 ext3 and 1,8gb ext3), the rest with ext4 or fat32. But my dell only recognize the 2 gb, and can't recognice the rest of free memory (29gb).

can you please tell, step by step if it's not bothering you,..i guess not every1 understand bout this (especially me), but i really want to have a try. succes when trying 8Gb, but failed when using 32.

please help,..and thanks a lot for your reply.

How lucky you are !

here is a step by step howto that I wrote for the procedure to make your extra memory recognized !!!

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...ge-up-to-62-gb/

I hope it's detailed enough ! please tell me if it's ok :D

boujou bien,

K.

Edited by kwenteen