265 replies to this topic

Sader0

Sader0

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Devices:Dell Streak EU Unlocked

------------------------------------------------
Hey Guyz, I have accidentally deleted the System.img, Boot.img from System Partition. (My PC hung after delete and before it could move the files. All was in a .BAT file..Boom...stuck half way and gone). Now the Phone is dead. No Boot, not recognized by PC, No LEDs nothing. Its just dead whatever I try. Is it possible for someone to please upload the Internal SD partition files, so that I can strip my Tablet and put the files there. Also do I still need to use ORT JTAG. If so can someone please guide me through. Its heart wrenching to see the bricked streak.

Try the solution described on streakdorid
Visit

p.s. it was not working for me. will try again today xD :-(
I case there is no detection by PC(try several on diff usb ports) then JTAG is the way....
personally dont mind doing the JTAG repair, however such services are not provided in my country.

Edited by Sader0, 10 May 2011 - 11:08 AM.

kwenteen

kwenteen

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Devices:streak

Just looking at buying a 32gb card to give this a try. I am running Steve's V1.1.1 froyo - so I guess I may have to go back to 2.1 to get this to work...

Does anyone one know whether a boot.img will be made for Steve's build? or would your boot.img possibly work as is? Sadly no experience of creating a boot.img, would anyone who has experience in doing this (Stephen Davidson & others?) create an amended boot.img based on Steves build.

This would be an amazing combination - and substantially better than anything else that is available on the market ;-)

Here's hoping that there will be a boot.img soon ;-)

Bob

If you had read till the end of the thread, you'll have noticed all the boot.img for almost every versions of streakdroid.... :unsure: :)
so you can use this mod even with the last 190 version !
so yes, you can use this great mod, and it works very well !
boujou bien,
K.

Amdathlonuk

Amdathlonuk

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:1% above base rate
  • Devices:Dell Streak, G1 and Galaxy S!
  • Twitter:@Amdathlonuk
Well, I've just read all 13 pages and I'm none the wiser :unsure:

I have a 32Gb Streak and would love to move my External 32Gb card into the internal.

So I have a few questions:

1. If I successfully do this can I have a BIGGER data partition for apps (16Gb)?
2. Will the remainder of the card be accessible as extra storage?
3. If yes to the remainder as storage how do I access it?
4. Can I then add another 32Gb card as an external and have say 16Gb as data and 48Gb as storage?
5. Can someone rewrite the instructions in laymans terms? I can fastboot and ADB...etc but I'n not familiar with Linux...etc (I have Ubuntu installed but I really only use it to format my cards as Ext3 when I need them).

Cheers

JJ

Dell Streak 32Gb (unlocked direct from Dell) - rooted but Stock
Dell Streak RED 16Gb (wifes) - Stock
San Francisco OLED (Daughters) - Cyan nightly

1Quik7

1Quik7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Well, I've just read all 13 pages and I'm none the wiser :unsure:

I have a 32Gb Streak and would love to move my External 32Gb card into the internal.

So I have a few questions:

1. If I successfully do this can I have a BIGGER data partition for apps (16Gb)?
2. Will the remainder of the card be accessible as extra storage?
3. If yes to the remainder as storage how do I access it?
4. Can I then add another 32Gb card as an external and have say 16Gb as data and 48Gb as storage?
5. Can someone rewrite the instructions in laymans terms? I can fastboot and ADB...etc but I'n not familiar with Linux...etc (I have Ubuntu installed but I really only use it to format my cards as Ext3 when I need them).

Cheers

JJ

I've been following this thread for a while now and this is my end understanding.

Yes, you can use a 32GB card as your internal SD, taking only 2GB for the system and leaving the rest for data/apps/etc. So technically you could have around 30GB internal storage plus 32GB external storage.
However, it seems all moot at the moment because there is currently no way to easily access stored data in the newly expanded internal SD. I'm a little fuzzy on that part, but it seems you'd have to unmount the inner SD, possibly power down, and use ADB, etc. It can't be accessed at will like the external SD.

I'm currently deciding if I'm going to do this upgrade, I really don't know what I need static internal memory for at the moment. If they find a while to access the external/internal at the same time I'm definitely going to do it.

Amdathlonuk

Amdathlonuk

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:1% above base rate
  • Devices:Dell Streak, G1 and Galaxy S!
  • Twitter:@Amdathlonuk

I've been following this thread for a while now and this is my end understanding.

Yes, you can use a 32GB card as your internal SD, taking only 2GB for the system and leaving the rest for data/apps/etc. So technically you could have around 30GB internal storage plus 32GB external storage.
However, it seems all moot at the moment because there is currently no way to easily access stored data in the newly expanded internal SD. I'm a little fuzzy on that part, but it seems you'd have to unmount the inner SD, possibly power down, and use ADB, etc. It can't be accessed at will like the external SD.

I'm currently deciding if I'm going to do this upgrade, I really don't know what I need static internal memory for at the moment. If they find a while to access the external/internal at the same time I'm definitely going to do it.

Thanks for clearing that up.
I was thinking along those sort of lines but it was getting blurry for me :unsure:

Agreed, I would need to be able to access the extra internal like the external so until this is possible it won't be worth me making this mod at present.

However, that said, there's some bloody clever people on here who've got it this far! BRAVO :) :P

Dell Streak 32Gb (unlocked direct from Dell) - rooted but Stock
Dell Streak RED 16Gb (wifes) - Stock
San Francisco OLED (Daughters) - Cyan nightly

danielkaboom

danielkaboom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Devices:dell streak
sorry, but i need a little help here if no one mind,..

i try to change my internal sd card from 8gb to 32gb,..first i change to 8gb with no problem, what i did is just replace my internal sd with formatted (2gb systam/ext2, 1gb cache/ext3, and the rest with data/ext4).
but when i repeat the same step as above, my dell won't recognize the new 32gb (using patriot class10), won't boot, but when i do nandroid restore, it booted up but recognize only free 80mb.
can you please tell me where i went wrong? i've formatted th 32 with 3gb system/ext2, and rest with data/ext3, but no luck. using Gparted from ubuntu.
please help me.
and sorry for my bad english.
thanks.

edit : when i do recovery mode, this message appear :
E:Can't mount /dev/block/innersd0p5
(No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/log
Error mounting /cache/!

Edited by danielkaboom, 29 May 2011 - 11:24 AM.

cyruspy

cyruspy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Devices:Dell Streak 5

My internal SD went bad also, what I did instead of kwenteen's way was install new microSD, load up a nandroid backup and then I reinstalled from zero. Going back to stock o2 2.1 and crawl all the way up to 1.1.1 which is what I use :D

What you can do is this.
Make a nandroid backup of your working streak , on the dead streak (after memory replacement) load up your nandroid backup, I would recommend to install a stock rom first, better if its an early 2.1, then you can take your own route from there either go stock Dell or Steve's 1.5.1 or any version of your preference.

Hope it helps in some way.
Good luck and post your results :D

My internal SD is frequently giving e2fsck errors at startup and the phone is reformatting itself. How did you come to the conclusion that your internal memory went bad?

kwenteen

kwenteen

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

sorry, but i need a little help here if no one mind,..

i try to change my internal sd card from 8gb to 32gb,..first i change to 8gb with no problem, what i did is just replace my internal sd with formatted (2gb systam/ext2, 1gb cache/ext3, and the rest with data/ext4).
but when i repeat the same step as above, my dell won't recognize the new 32gb (using patriot class10), won't boot, but when i do nandroid restore, it booted up but recognize only free 80mb.
can you please tell me where i went wrong? i've formatted th 32 with 3gb system/ext2, and rest with data/ext3, but no luck. using Gparted from ubuntu.
please help me.
and sorry for my bad english.
thanks.

edit : when i do recovery mode, this message appear :
E:Can't mount CACHE:recovery/log
Error mounting /cache/!

Hello ! are you using a modded boot.img ?
If not, please do so...

danielkaboom

danielkaboom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hello ! are you using a modded boot.img ?
If not, please do so...

hello too kwenteen,
i already using it,..then i formatted the new 32gb with partition 2gb extended (256 ext3 and 1,8gb ext3), the rest with ext4 or fat32. But my dell only recognize the 2 gb, and can't recognice the rest of free memory (29gb).
can you please tell, step by step if it's not bothering you,..i guess not every1 understand bout this (especially me), but i really want to have a try. succes when trying 8Gb, but failed when using 32.
please help,..and thanks a lot for your reply.

Edited by danielkaboom, 03 June 2011 - 07:05 PM.

kwenteen

kwenteen

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

hello too kwenteen,
i already using it,..then i formatted the new 32gb with partition 2gb extended (256 ext3 and 1,8gb ext3), the rest with ext4 or fat32. But my dell only recognize the 2 gb, and can't recognice the rest of free memory (29gb).
can you please tell, step by step if it's not bothering you,..i guess not every1 understand bout this (especially me), but i really want to have a try. succes when trying 8Gb, but failed when using 32.
please help,..and thanks a lot for your reply.

How lucky you are !
here is a step by step howto that I wrote for the procedure to make your extra memory recognized !!!
http://android.modac...ge-up-to-62-gb/

I hope it's detailed enough ! please tell me if it's ok :D
boujou bien,
K.

Edited by kwenteen, 03 June 2011 - 09:16 PM.

danielkaboom

danielkaboom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

How lucky you are !
here is a step by step howto that I wrote for the procedure to make your extra memory recognized !!!
http://android.modac...ge-up-to-62-gb/

I hope it's detailed enough ! please tell me if it's ok :D
boujou bien,
K.

WOW, thx Kwenteen, i'll try it soon when i got home from work. thx again.

edit : i did what you've written carefully step by step. my streak boot fine, but funny thing is that when i check on menu system, it only recognize free 80mb, and when i nandroid restore with new 32gb inside, it booted fine but read only 8GB as interanl sd. where i went wrong?

thx again kwenteen, for your great help.

Edited by danielkaboom, 06 June 2011 - 05:39 AM.

RChadwick

RChadwick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Dell Streak, Nook, Color.
I've tried to follow this thread for a while, and with great interest. I have a Streak with a broken external slot. Actually, it was broken clean off. I found a replacement, but realized I'd never be able to resolder it without an Infrared rework station. As all this stands, can I put a 32GB card internal, and use just that? When I tried to update the firmware, it said it needed an SD card. Would I be able to update Android with this?

kwenteen

kwenteen

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

I've tried to follow this thread for a while, and with great interest. I have a Streak with a broken external slot. Actually, it was broken clean off. I found a replacement, but realized I'd never be able to resolder it without an Infrared rework station. As all this stands, can I put a 32GB card internal, and use just that? When I tried to update the firmware, it said it needed an SD card. Would I be able to update Android with this?

MMMMhhhh....
I think it's doable, by using flashboot instead of classic update.zip method... you'd need the different filesystems by using a nandroid backup from someone else...
then you could use a modified boot.img file, that do a link between your innersd and /sdcard... this way it could work...
But I don't know exactly how to do that... I'm mounting the internal sd into /sdcard/intsd/ folder, and AFTER the external sdcard has been mounted... hence you need to adapt my mod... tell me if you think you could handle it, if I can help a little...

good luck,
boujou bien.
K.

crexa

crexa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Devices:Dell Streak
Can you help me. I'm a noob with android/linux. I've done what was suggested by the How-to instruction except the busybox_1P8P1 mke2fs -j /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 cause get an error that the applet was not found, so formatted to ext2 via gparted on pc. Now when I've tried to run the script busybox_1P8P1 mount -o bind /intsd /mnt/sdcard/intsd through adb shell I've gathered an error 'Invalid argument'. I've made autostart.sh in /data/opt/ but do not know how to make it autorun through the autostart app from the market. To end with - if I push to the /intsd via adb all transfered files become lost after device reboot.
Please help.

Edited by crexa, 05 July 2011 - 03:18 PM.

kwenteen

kwenteen

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Can you help me. I'm a noob with android/linux. I've done what was suggested by the How-to instruction except the busybox_1P8P1 mke2fs -j /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 cause get an error that the applet was not found, so formatted to ext2 via gparted on pc. Now when I've tried to run the script busybox_1P8P1 mount -o bind /intsd /mnt/sdcard/intsd through adb shell I've gathered an error 'Invalid argument'. I've made autostart.sh in /data/opt/ but do not know how to make it autorun through the autostart app from the market. To end with - if I push to the /intsd via adb all transfered files become lost after device reboot.
Please help.

I don't exactly get it... you tried the tuto, it failed at the mke2fs line, so you continued using Gparted, unfortunately, you used the wrong system file... the modified boot.img is looking for an ext3 partition in /dev/block/innersd0p2, not an ext2... Then have you checked the repartition of your different partitions on your big innersd with gparted ? could you see a big primary partition (that you formated in ext2) number 1, then Two extended partition, numbered 5 and 6, which are for cache and data ?
once you have reformated in EXT3, check with a file manager on your phone if you have a /intsd folder, containing what you put on the user accessible partition of your new biginnersd... if yes, then you're almost done, you just have to finnish the mod by mounting /intsd into your sdcard, so everything that's in it will be scanned by the system.
you can first try to do mount -o bind /intsd /mnt/sdcard/intsd in a script with gscript or gscript lite, it's the same than using it with autostart.sh, but you have to run it manually every time you boot the device. Then check if you have a /sdcard/intsd folder containing your innersd data... if yes, you just have to reforce a scan of the media so your music/movies are detected by the system :
another script in gscript :
pm disable com.android.providers.media/com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver
pm enable com.android.providers.media/com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver
or you can use rescan media, a freeware available on the internet, that does the same...

Hope it helped, good luck with it ! :)

Edited by kwenteen, 06 July 2011 - 10:35 AM.

crexa

crexa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Devices:Dell Streak
Thank you. Formatting into ext3 resolved an issue and the binding works ok. But - how to make the commands to autorun? Can you describe this?
UPD. The question is obsolete. The Autorun (root) app from the market is needed. The problem was with the 2 apps available with similar names on the market.

Edited by crexa, 09 July 2011 - 05:43 PM.

over2land

over2land

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:Dell Streak; HTC Tilt on Froyo
Kwen-

Will the modified file work with Steve's new 1.9.1?

kwenteen

kwenteen

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Kwen-

Will the modified file work with Steve's new 1.9.1?

Nope, but I did it for 1.9.1 in the following thread... : http://android.modac...ge-up-to-62-gb/
tested and working !
boujou bien,
K.

MACQUEYL

MACQUEYL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Gadgets, music, modding my AT&T White Dell Streak 5 & HTC HD2
  • Devices:AT&T White Dell Streak 5
  • Twitter:@Macqueyl
Please Provide HELP for WINDOWS PC Users that do not have access to LINUX

This is all very interesting & kudos for all the hard work. But, I have a Windows 7 PC, not linux. What do I need to do in order to accomplish upgrading my Streak's internal SD using a PC? The commands obviously need changing, but to what? I'm not an engineer or a programmer, but I have been successful in rooting and upgrading my ROM to various versions of DJ Steve's ROM (I currently have Streakdroid 1.9.1). I want to use a 32gb card for my internal SD card.

Thanks so very much for any help with this.

Edited by MACQUEYL, 20 July 2011 - 01:49 AM.

US AT&T White Dell Streak 5
Streakdroid 1.9.0

MACQUEYL

MACQUEYL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Gadgets, music, modding my AT&T White Dell Streak 5 & HTC HD2
  • Devices:AT&T White Dell Streak 5
  • Twitter:@Macqueyl
Everyone,

I stumbled across this website that has an English tutorial for dismantling the Streak:

http://www.ifixit.co...Teardown/3512/1

US AT&T White Dell Streak 5
Streakdroid 1.9.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users