Hardware hacking this puppy, input?

Guest popetodd

Guest danielkaboom
How lucky you are !

here is a step by step howto that I wrote for the procedure to make your extra memory recognized !!!

http://android.modaco.com/content/dell-str...ge-up-to-62-gb/

I hope it's detailed enough ! please tell me if it's ok :D

boujou bien,

K.

WOW, thx Kwenteen, i'll try it soon when i got home from work. thx again.

edit : i did what you've written carefully step by step. my streak boot fine, but funny thing is that when i check on menu system, it only recognize free 80mb, and when i nandroid restore with new 32gb inside, it booted fine but read only 8GB as interanl sd. where i went wrong?

thx again kwenteen, for your great help.

Edited by danielkaboom

Guest RChadwick

I've tried to follow this thread for a while, and with great interest. I have a Streak with a broken external slot. Actually, it was broken clean off. I found a replacement, but realized I'd never be able to resolder it without an Infrared rework station. As all this stands, can I put a 32GB card internal, and use just that? When I tried to update the firmware, it said it needed an SD card. Would I be able to update Android with this?

Guest kwenteen
I've tried to follow this thread for a while, and with great interest. I have a Streak with a broken external slot. Actually, it was broken clean off. I found a replacement, but realized I'd never be able to resolder it without an Infrared rework station. As all this stands, can I put a 32GB card internal, and use just that? When I tried to update the firmware, it said it needed an SD card. Would I be able to update Android with this?

MMMMhhhh....

I think it's doable, by using flashboot instead of classic update.zip method... you'd need the different filesystems by using a nandroid backup from someone else...

then you could use a modified boot.img file, that do a link between your innersd and /sdcard... this way it could work...

But I don't know exactly how to do that... I'm mounting the internal sd into /sdcard/intsd/ folder, and AFTER the external sdcard has been mounted... hence you need to adapt my mod... tell me if you think you could handle it, if I can help a little...

good luck,

boujou bien.

K.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest crexa

Can you help me. I'm a noob with android/linux. I've done what was suggested by the How-to instruction except the busybox_1P8P1 mke2fs -j /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 cause get an error that the applet was not found, so formatted to ext2 via gparted on pc. Now when I've tried to run the script busybox_1P8P1 mount -o bind /intsd /mnt/sdcard/intsd through adb shell I've gathered an error 'Invalid argument'. I've made autostart.sh in /data/opt/ but do not know how to make it autorun through the autostart app from the market. To end with - if I push to the /intsd via adb all transfered files become lost after device reboot.

Please help.

Edited by crexa

Guest kwenteen
Can you help me. I'm a noob with android/linux. I've done what was suggested by the How-to instruction except the busybox_1P8P1 mke2fs -j /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 cause get an error that the applet was not found, so formatted to ext2 via gparted on pc. Now when I've tried to run the script busybox_1P8P1 mount -o bind /intsd /mnt/sdcard/intsd through adb shell I've gathered an error 'Invalid argument'. I've made autostart.sh in /data/opt/ but do not know how to make it autorun through the autostart app from the market. To end with - if I push to the /intsd via adb all transfered files become lost after device reboot.

Please help.

I don't exactly get it... you tried the tuto, it failed at the mke2fs line, so you continued using Gparted, unfortunately, you used the wrong system file... the modified boot.img is looking for an ext3 partition in /dev/block/innersd0p2, not an ext2... Then have you checked the repartition of your different partitions on your big innersd with gparted ? could you see a big primary partition (that you formated in ext2) number 1, then Two extended partition, numbered 5 and 6, which are for cache and data ?

once you have reformated in EXT3, check with a file manager on your phone if you have a /intsd folder, containing what you put on the user accessible partition of your new biginnersd... if yes, then you're almost done, you just have to finnish the mod by mounting /intsd into your sdcard, so everything that's in it will be scanned by the system.

you can first try to do mount -o bind /intsd /mnt/sdcard/intsd in a script with gscript or gscript lite, it's the same than using it with autostart.sh, but you have to run it manually every time you boot the device. Then check if you have a /sdcard/intsd folder containing your innersd data... if yes, you just have to reforce a scan of the media so your music/movies are detected by the system :

another script in gscript :

pm disable com.android.providers.media/com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver

pm enable com.android.providers.media/com.android.providers.media.MediaScannerReceiver

or you can use rescan media, a freeware available on the internet, that does the same...

Hope it helped, good luck with it ! :)

Edited by kwenteen

Guest crexa

Thank you. Formatting into ext3 resolved an issue and the binding works ok. But - how to make the commands to autorun? Can you describe this?

UPD. The question is obsolete. The Autorun (root) app from the market is needed. The problem was with the 2 apps available with similar names on the market.

Edited by crexa

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kwenteen

Kwen-

Will the modified file work with Steve's new 1.9.1?

Nope, but I did it for 1.9.1 in the following thread... :

tested and working !

boujou bien,

K.

Guest MACQUEYL

Please Provide HELP for WINDOWS PC Users that do not have access to LINUX

This is all very interesting & kudos for all the hard work. But, I have a Windows 7 PC, not linux. What do I need to do in order to accomplish upgrading my Streak's internal SD using a PC? The commands obviously need changing, but to what? I'm not an engineer or a programmer, but I have been successful in rooting and upgrading my ROM to various versions of DJ Steve's ROM (I currently have Streakdroid 1.9.1). I want to use a 32gb card for my internal SD card.

Thanks so very much for any help with this.

Edited by MACQUEYL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest zillerman

plink212 hi... i know this is over a year ago since your last post, but can you update me/us on what has happened since then? Did the 62Gb mass storage work? Did any of it work? Did the Dell lose any performance (speed) after the mod? Pro's/Con's???

Cheers

Zill

okay some progress.

Have opened it up again and took the card out

on linux did

dd if=/dev/sdg of=/android.img

then swapped to my new 32gb microsd after which i did

dd if=/android.img of=/dev/sdg

the partition layout of the stock sd card is as follows

partition 1 primary

partition 5 logical 240mb

partition 6 logical 1.7gb

I added a new primary partition of 30GB as /dev/sdg2

The card went back in the streak and I reassembled and booted and .........

It worked.

Next steps are rooting the streak and working out modify the mount points.

My thoughts on this are that I will mount /dev/sdg2 on /sdcard and create a folder called extension

I will then modify the vold.conf file to automount the sdcard under the extension folder. The rational behind doing this is that when i connect the usb I am hoping that this will mean that I get 62GB in mass storage mode.

Tim

Hello guys, did ordered 8gb class 10 card to replace my old one. I did cut out plastick part to get acces to internal sd card. I did read this topic till page 6 and id get stuck. I dont really know how i should make my new sd card working. I dont get this part how to put partitions on it and other stuff. Its any chance somone could help me with some tutorial link or wrote step by step what i should do to replace my internal sd?

Edited by wgizmo

Guest marvin02

For those who simply want more internal storage I had success with installing an 8 GB Class 10 card in the inner slot and doing a factory reset. This gave me over 6 GB for apps to be installed on.

I have also made images of the inner SD Card (a standard 2 GB card) that can be restored using Clonezilla. You can get those from here.

For those who simply want more internal storage I had success with installing an 8 GB Class 10 card in the inner slot and doing a factory reset. This gave me over 6 GB for apps to be installed on.

I have also made images of the inner SD Card (a standard 2 GB card) that can be restored using Clonezilla. You can get those from here.

Could you tell me and direct me somwhere where i can read step by step how to make it working when i replace my internal sd card?

• 1 month later...
Guest Zathros

Could you tell me and direct me somwhere where i can read step by step how to make it working when i replace my internal sd card?

Just google for dell streak mini or 5 on youtube and you'll have loads of movies and how to's to replace yours.

I replaced mine recently because the internal has crashed on me 4 times in a month or 2 after working perfect for 2 months earlier it recommended me to send it back for repairs but the boot screen told me it found ext2fs errors so replacing it myself was the obvious solution instead of missing it for 6 weeks at a repair shop.

It took me just over half an hour to replace the hardware and reinstall the OTA stock rom 2.2.2 from Dell.

only thing is now it takes a bit longer to start up but the gain of 6 Gb internal memory is well worth it, even having half of europe stored in my Navigation software still gives me over 5 Gb of space left for other apps. Now currently it has over 200 apps installed on the internal storage and i can swap my external without having to reinstall every app that was on my external SD

I used a transcend ultimate 8 Gb class 10 after trying a few others, like the 16 Gb transcend class 10, a kingston class 10, a unbranded class 4 - 8 Gb without any success.

The original was identified on my Mac as a Sony unknown class but i estimated after testing it that it was most lightly a class 4

Just my 2 cts.

• 5 months later...