plink212

plink212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Going to try this to edit the init.rc
Howto: edit boot images

Tim

That didn't quite pan out, the boot image was the wrong size and I managed to screw it up

Anyone got any tips for opening the boot image

Tim

plink212

plink212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

That didn't quite pan out, the boot image was the wrong size and I managed to screw it up

Anyone got any tips for opening the boot image

Tim

hmm if i open the image with unpack-bootimg.pl and repack with repack-bootimg.pl it fails to load once flashed so I think i am doing something wrong here

mobiholic

mobiholic

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S, Dell Streak
Have you made any further progress with this?

Has anyone else tried swapping out the internal SD card for a larger one?

Thanks

courtlandre

courtlandre

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Devices:HTC Evo, Samsung Focus
lag...

Edited by courtlandre, 03 July 2010 - 01:47 PM.

popetodd

popetodd

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Devices:iPaq HW6945, Dell Streak
I see in the custom rom that there is a /system/init.d with a init file in it.
I'm going to try and put the mount script into a custom rom and see if it works there.

[EDIT] Nope, doesn't autorun anything in that directory.

Edited by popetodd, 03 July 2010 - 04:10 PM.

SEI87

SEI87

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
any updates?

I like replying to threads with 0 posts :D

popetodd

popetodd

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

any updates?

Not yet, teaching myself how this all fits together right now.
I'm a long time Unix Admin so it's familiar except for the image packages and how to deal with unpacking and packing them again.
I am working on it though, there are just too many things I would hack differently for this particular device (Android seems stuck in phone mode as installed on this thing) for me to give it up and accept it as it is.

Just have to work in the time to do it around a 140 mile commute and 9 hours in the office...

Edited by popetodd, 09 July 2010 - 10:20 PM.

mobiholic

mobiholic

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S, Dell Streak

Not yet, teaching myself how this all fits together right now.
I'm a long time Unix Admin so it's familiar except for the image packages and how to deal with unpacking and packing them again.
I am working on it though, there are just too many things I would hack differently for this particular device (Android seems stuck in phone mode as installed on this thing) for me to give it up and accept it as it is.

Just have to work in the time to do it around a 140 mile commute and 9 hours in the office...

Bit of thread necro I know but has anybody made any progress along these lines yet? Or have we as a community hit a brick wall when it comes to upgrading the internal SD card due to the issues already presented within this thread or perhaps something else entirely?

popetodd

popetodd

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Bit of thread necro I know but has anybody made any progress along these lines yet? Or have we as a community hit a brick wall when it comes to upgrading the internal SD card due to the issues already presented within this thread or perhaps something else entirely?

In my case a shattered nose and seriously bad side effects from the blood pressure meds needed to get it low enough so the can get the 5 plus peices back into place have been my hamper. I'm planning on picking this back up after my operation next week.

MrPokeylope

MrPokeylope

Regular

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

In my case a shattered nose and seriously bad side effects from the blood pressure meds needed to get it low enough so the can get the 5 plus peices back into place have been my hamper. I'm planning on picking this back up after my operation next week.

Sounds like a pet-shopping / lighter incident. flaming rodent fireball to the nose? :)

souljaboy

souljaboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
probly he was sniffin coke and headbutted the table when he got knocked out

popetodd

popetodd

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
Nothing quite as cool as those things, it was a trip accident that resulted in a full speed face plant while running to get to work on time.
I made it worse by trying to run faster to get my feet under me while I was falling instead of just taking the hit and rolling like I was trained to do. :)

Knocked myself out, I might have been embarrassed about it but it hurts too much for any of that self indulgent none sense.

Edited by popetodd, 07 August 2010 - 10:37 AM.

Amdathlonuk

Amdathlonuk

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:1% above base rate
  • Devices:Dell Streak, G1 and Galaxy S!
  • Twitter:@Amdathlonuk

Nothing quite as cool as those things, it was a trip accident that resulted in a full speed face plant while running to get to work on time.
I made it worse by trying to run faster to get my feet under me while I was falling instead of just taking the hit and rolling like I was trained to do. :)

Knocked myself out, I might have been embarrassed about it but it hurts too much for any of that self indulgent none sense.

Quite funny... but OW!

Hope you're okay man.

Dell Streak 32Gb (unlocked direct from Dell) - rooted but Stock
Dell Streak RED 16Gb (wifes) - Stock
San Francisco OLED (Daughters) - Cyan nightly

popetodd

popetodd

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
Yeah, aside from a nose that points 17 degrees to the left and is offset 3 1/2mm from the bridge in the same direction I'm doing OK.
Sure looks like hell though.

Well, that and the side affects from the BP meds. Damn near ended up in A&E just from those a couple days back.

fards

fards

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • Interests:Human powered vehicles
  • Devices:Dell Streak
  • Twitter:@fardsmobile
ouch! easily done and takes far too long to fix.
pity no one was recording it you could have made some cash from you've been framed for your pains :)

MikeF74

MikeF74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
Please forgive wild tangent on this subject...

Dell has only ever stated (ambiguously) that the expansion slot is MicroSD (never mentioning MicroSDHC which it obviously supports). I know that there is no such thing yet as MicroSDXC cards, but one would hope that any new device would be SDXC compatible at the pin/chipset level. If it were SDXC compatible, it could open up whole new storage expansion hacking. Is there any kind of reverse adapter, so one could fit MiniSDXC card into a MicroSD slot? Googling for such a thing is impossible. Physically, there seems to be plenty of room around the internal MicroSD slot for such expansion.

It's kind of a moot point though since 64GB MicroSDHC cards are so expensive ($220-$360 depending on brand).

Edited by MikeF74, 11 August 2010 - 01:54 AM.

detrak

detrak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Devices:Dell Streak & Iphone 3GS
I've cut the body slowly with a dremel and another tools...Attached File  IMG_1096.JPG   3.24MB   342 downloads

SEI87

SEI87

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

I've cut the body slowly with a dremel and another tools...Attached File  IMG_1096.JPG   3.24MB   342 downloads

wow... i guess thats one way of doing it..

I like replying to threads with 0 posts :D

vinokirk

vinokirk

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts
  • Devices:DHD, DZ, SF
I think a 4000x3000 resolution pic is a bit over kill! Perhaps you could resize them in IrfanView before you post lol!

hyellow

hyellow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Devices:null
I am following this topic for a while now, not have seen such a topic at the 'other great' forum.
I'll soon be getting my dell streak, and I was wandering. What is already possible with replacing the internal sd card?
If I understand correctly, you are trying to mount both SD cards at the same time, make it look like one big storage card?
That would be cool, but can we use the extra space given by the larger internal sd card already? Can we install our apps on it that we frequently use, like satnavs, and have the external sd card to hold our media?

worth mentioning: the dell streak will be my first Android. Coming from mainly WinMo devices, and even iphone (wich sucks by the way), I have yet to discover all the possibilties and mainly the terms that comes with the android.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users