Hardware hacking this puppy, input?

Guest popetodd

Guest popetodd

Nothing quite as cool as those things, it was a trip accident that resulted in a full speed face plant while running to get to work on time.

I made it worse by trying to run faster to get my feet under me while I was falling instead of just taking the hit and rolling like I was trained to do. :)

Knocked myself out, I might have been embarrassed about it but it hurts too much for any of that self indulgent none sense.

Edited by popetodd

Guest Amdathlonuk
Nothing quite as cool as those things, it was a trip accident that resulted in a full speed face plant while running to get to work on time.

I made it worse by trying to run faster to get my feet under me while I was falling instead of just taking the hit and rolling like I was trained to do. :)

Knocked myself out, I might have been embarrassed about it but it hurts too much for any of that self indulgent none sense.

Quite funny... but OW!

Hope you're okay man.

Guest popetodd

Yeah, aside from a nose that points 17 degrees to the left and is offset 3 1/2mm from the bridge in the same direction I'm doing OK.

Sure looks like hell though.

Well, that and the side affects from the BP meds. Damn near ended up in A&E just from those a couple days back.

Guest fards

ouch! easily done and takes far too long to fix.

pity no one was recording it you could have made some cash from you've been framed for your pains :)

Guest MikeF74

Please forgive wild tangent on this subject...

Dell has only ever stated (ambiguously) that the expansion slot is MicroSD (never mentioning MicroSDHC which it obviously supports). I know that there is no such thing yet as MicroSDXC cards, but one would hope that any new device would be SDXC compatible at the pin/chipset level. If it were SDXC compatible, it could open up whole new storage expansion hacking. Is there any kind of reverse adapter, so one could fit MiniSDXC card into a MicroSD slot? Googling for such a thing is impossible. Physically, there seems to be plenty of room around the internal MicroSD slot for such expansion.

It's kind of a moot point though since 64GB MicroSDHC cards are so expensive ($220-$360 depending on brand).

Edited by MikeF74

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hyellow

I am following this topic for a while now, not have seen such a topic at the 'other great' forum.

I'll soon be getting my dell streak, and I was wandering. What is already possible with replacing the internal sd card?

If I understand correctly, you are trying to mount both SD cards at the same time, make it look like one big storage card?

That would be cool, but can we use the extra space given by the larger internal sd card already? Can we install our apps on it that we frequently use, like satnavs, and have the external sd card to hold our media?

worth mentioning: the dell streak will be my first Android. Coming from mainly WinMo devices, and even iphone (wich sucks by the way), I have yet to discover all the possibilties and mainly the terms that comes with the android.

Guest Spike8585

I don't think I would need much more space, but you can pick up a 4GB class 10 off ebay for $30.00.

Would a class 10 chip improve the performance of the streak? I mean "real world" noticeable difference?

If anyone has tested this, please post!

Thanks.

Guest Stephen Hyde

should make you folks considering changing the internal microsd that you may have problems above 2gb as afaik android doesnt like data partitions larger than 2gb in size (i know this from my own porting work - nothing downloads in market etc on a partition larger than 2gb)

probly would need some edits inside the android source also is what im meaning

Edited by Stephen Hyde

Guest hyellow
should make you folks considering changing the internal microsd that you may have problems above 2gb as afaik android doesnt like data partitions larger than 2gb in size (i know this from my own porting work - nothing downloads in market etc on a partition larger than 2gb)

probly would need some edits inside the android source also is what im meaning

Do you mean that Android will not work with partitions larger then 2gb, or just won't see the files that are larger then 2gb?

I know on desktop pc's (windows) there sometimes are 2gb file limitations etc.

I now have a newly 8gb Class 6 msd and want to give it a try. is it just plug and play or do i need to to partition it like the first few posts mentioned?

and do i need to be in a linux environment to do so? I'm on windows.

Guest Stephen Hyde

cant imagine it'll be plug and play and i mean android has problems whereby it thinks their is no free space if a partition is bigger than 2gb (i am porting android to a device and have had this issue myself even on froyo) android also doesnt support multiple sd mounts so before anyone suggests creating 2 partitions that'll not work either without hacks to android source (having this issue majorly here due to the device im porting having 32gb int memory + microsd).

hopefulyl that helps

feel free to give it a go tho and prove me wrong :huh:. iirc formating the partition as ext2/ext3 *should* work provided dells kernel has support for it

also i would love to know what class the internal microsd is if anyone fancys checking

Edited by Stephen Hyde

Guest Techneut
cant imagine it'll be plug and play and i mean android has problems whereby it thinks their is no free space if a partition is bigger than 2gb (i am porting android to a device and have had this issue myself even on froyo) android also doesnt support multiple sd mounts so before anyone suggests creating 2 partitions that'll not work either without hacks to android source (having this issue majorly here due to the device im porting having 32gb int memory + microsd).

hopefulyl that helps

feel free to give it a go tho and prove me wrong :huh:. iirc formating the partition as ext2/ext3 *should* work provided dells kernel has support for it

also i would love to know what class the internal microsd is if anyone fancys checking

Somebody else already found out the used card is 4 GB class 4; and only 2 GB of it is used.

post-714780-1283091472_thumb.jpg

Guest popetodd

I highly doubt there is a 2Gb limit on that card slot, it uses the same controller as the external storage card and that one is 16Gb.

I have a 16Gb class 10 on order, I will install it with 2 partitions, one 2 Gb for the system and one with the rest when it arrives.

I will use a script to mount it as accessible storage ( I have already given the contents of that script earlier in this thread) using Autostart to load it at boot up. That should do it, if you have read this thread you know at this point the only issue we have been having is mounting at boot and I think I have found a bit of software to cover that.

Guest Stephen Hyde
I highly doubt there is a 2Gb limit on that card slot, it uses the same controller as the external storage card and that one is 16Gb.

I have a 16Gb class 10 on order, I will install it with 2 partitions, one 2 Gb for the system and one with the rest when it arrives.

I will use a script to mount it as accessible storage ( I have already given the contents of that script earlier in this thread) using Autostart to load it at boot up. That should do it, if you have read this thread you know at this point the only issue we have been having is mounting at boot and I think I have found a bit of software to cover that.

didnt say on the card slot i said on the os. the card slot can likely take 32gb easily just like the ext card slot but the android os seems to have issues(unless dell edited it) with addressing partitions for 'system' and 'data' larger than 2gb

Edited by Stephen Hyde

Guest Stephen Davidson

Hello Guys,

So last night I took my Streak apart. Ripped out the original 2GB card (confirmed 2GB) and installed a 16GB Class 10. I created partitions 5 and 6 formating them as ext3 with labels cache and data. The cache partition is 1GB and the data partition is 15GB.

So here is the issue. Android won't mount them during boot. I've tried restoring the OS and still they won't mount.

Now the only thing I didn't do is copy the data from the old card to the new one.

Next I'm going to try deleting the 15GB partition and recreating it as 2GB.

Any other suggestions for how I can get this to work? Oh, and does anyone know how to format partitions as yaffs2?

Thanks

Guest Asphytxtc
Any other suggestions for how I can get this to work? Oh, and does anyone know how to format partitions as yaffs2?

I'm pretty new to this whole android malarkey but I think the tool you're after can be found here (Yaffs2 Tool)

http://jiggawatt.org/badc0de/android/index.html

I don't think you create yaffs2 filesystems in the same way as you "format" an ext3 fs for example.. I think this tool makes an image based on the contents of a directory if that makes sense?

Hope that's at least some help, im certainly following this thread with interest.. good luck! :huh:

Edited by Asphytxtc

Guest spences10
Hello Guys,

So last night I took my Streak apart. Ripped out the original 2GB card (confirmed 2GB) and installed a 16GB Class 10. I created partitions 5 and 6 formating them as ext3 with labels cache and data. The cache partition is 1GB and the data partition is 15GB.

So here is the issue. Android won't mount them during boot. I've tried restoring the OS and still they won't mount.

Now the only thing I didn't do is copy the data from the old card to the new one.

Next I'm going to try deleting the 15GB partition and recreating it as 2GB.

Thanks

Great job chap - hope you get youre issues sorted

Imagine having 15gb data partition - you could store the whole android market on there !!

Well not really, but it would feel like it :huh: