Desire on Orange - Advice please?

Guest xspyda

Guest xspyda

I haven't been in this forum for a while but as I am thinking of trying Android with a Desire I may be making an appearance now and again!

Now, I use Tmob and don't want to change from that but I like the black Desire, which means buying on Orange. What I would like to know is how easy is it to get rid of the Orange branding and will the unlock from HTCUnlock work ok - ie is it a tried and tested method?

Thanks for any advice.

Guest giggsey

I have a Desire on Orange, and I just rooted it and installed a custom ROM.

If you don't want to root it, you can flash the generic HTC release, which doesn't have any branding crap.

As for HTCUnlock, I don't know, as I haven't used it.

Guest xspyda

Thanks, that's re-assuring.

Just need to try and bag an Orange one now then. I'm fine to root it, in fact I will probably want to as I have missed having the ability to flash custom roms etc having been with Nokia for some years. Assume it's a straight forward process, did you just use the 'sticky' guide in this forum?

Seems I have a lot to learn if and when I get hold of a Desire - good job there's a helpful forum at hand.

edit: Wondering if I should just go for the generic unlocked 'brown' desire after reading this thread. Thoughts?

Edited by xspyda

Guest miguelsanchez79
Thanks, that's re-assuring.

Just need to try and bag an Orange one now then. I'm fine to root it, in fact I will probably want to as I have missed having the ability to flash custom roms etc having been with Nokia for some years. Assume it's a straight forward process, did you just use the 'sticky' guide in this forum?

Seems I have a lot to learn if and when I get hold of a Desire - good job there's a helpful forum at hand.

edit: Wondering if I should just go for the generic unlocked 'brown' desire after reading this thread. Thoughts?

updating radio on orange will result in simlocking your desire. Simply orange desire won't recognise orange simcard. If you unlock it (plenty of websites around) you can flash any radio

Guest xspyda
updating radio on orange will result in simlocking your desire. Simply orange desire won't recognise orange simcard. If you unlock it (plenty of websites around) you can flash any radio

Thanks, although I will already have to buy an unlock code as I will be buying the Desire locked to Orange (I want the black one). I assume once I have bought and used a lock code to enable me to use it on Tmob, the phone will stay unlocked no matter what I flash to it?

Guest miguelsanchez79
Thanks, although I will already have to buy an unlock code as I will be buying the Desire locked to Orange (I want the black one). I assume once I have bought and used a lock code to enable me to use it on Tmob, the phone will stay unlocked no matter what I flash to it?

I did unlock mine after 'simlocking' it. I think it shoulg be fine. Just keep unlock code somewhere safe just in case

Guest xspyda
I did unlock mine after 'simlocking' it. I think it shoulg be fine. Just keep unlock code somewhere safe just in case

Thanks, again that's reassuring.

Mind me asking what unlocker you used? There is HTCCode advertised on this forum, or an ebay user I found that seems legit

Will receive in a couple of days so will need quickest and most reliable unlock - a tried and tested one would be good :-)

Guest Scarlet_Pimp

Nice thread been looking for some answers to these questions, its really confusing all the options.

I have a desire on orange but i just want to have a generic desire dont need to root or use a2sd just want a generic desire which I can update with with official HTC update with no problems.

Can anyone say whihc is the best rom to use for this purpose, I don't mind having to pay to unlock the phone, jsut don't want it bricked or to loose features after downloading new update. I'm worried for example about the loss of wifi after getting the latest update which has been mentioned by some orange users has this been fixed?

Guest miguelsanchez79
Thanks, again that's reassuring.

Mind me asking what unlocker you used? There is HTCCode advertised on this forum, or an ebay user I found that seems legit

Will receive in a couple of days so will need quickest and most reliable unlock - a tried and tested one would be good :-)

done it with unlock.com month ago...

Guest miguelsanchez79
Nice thread been looking for some answers to these questions, its really confusing all the options.

I have a desire on orange but i just want to have a generic desire dont need to root or use a2sd just want a generic desire which I can update with with official HTC update with no problems.

Can anyone say whihc is the best rom to use for this purpose, I don't mind having to pay to unlock the phone, jsut don't want it bricked or to loose features after downloading new update. I'm worried for example about the loss of wifi after getting the latest update which has been mentioned by some orange users has this been fixed?

if you dont want to root it and use custom roms just go for generic one. debranding is very simple, shouldnt have a problem to find guide here or on xda. You won't get your phone bricked debranding it.

Guest xspyda
done it with unlock.com month ago...

Thanks Miguel :-)

Should receive tomorrow all being well. Let the fun begin!

Have read a fair bit about rooting etc and while I am confident enough to do it, I'm struggling to see what benefits it brings (although I am sure that sounds naiive), especially with the imminent release of Froyo.

Is it considered to be worth the hassle?

Edited by xspyda

Guest miguelsanchez79
Thanks Miguel :-)

Should receive tomorrow all being well. Let the fun begin!

Have read a fair bit about rooting etc and while I am confident enough to do it, I'm struggling to see what benefits it brings (although I am sure that sounds naiive), especially with the imminent release of Froyo.

Is it considered to be worth the hassle?

It's worth IMO. I wouldnt expect froyo for desire too soon ;)

have a look here:

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/top-10...ndroid-phone-2/

Edited by miguelsanchez79

Guest xspyda

Thanks again.

Ideally I would like to simply debrand initially (after unlocking) and will probably root when I get a bit more familiar with Android... then again I may just jump in feet first! ;-)

Edited by xspyda

Guest xspyda

Just a quick query...

If I demand can I easily restore a stock Orange Rom? If sondoes anyone know where I can download it please?

Thanks

Guest xspyda
I was looking for orange stock ROM but never found one.

keep an eye on this topic:

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...tc-desire-roms/

Thanks. Got the Desire and the unlock went without a hitch I'm pleased to say. I'm reluctant to debrand though before I have a download of the stock rom. I've had a scout round the net but it seems the Orange rom is not available.

Guest Scarlet_Pimp

Cool good to hear.

If you decide to debrand can you post your experience here too, i'm still waiting for orangee to get stock in to get mine.

I want to unlock and debrand to generic rom so the more information out there the better.

Guest miguelsanchez79
Cool good to hear.

If you decide to debrand can you post your experience here too, i'm still waiting for orangee to get stock in to get mine.

I want to unlock and debrand to generic rom so the more information out there the better.

here you have guide how to debrand your desire:

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...r-t-mo-handset/

its pretty simple, just need to create goldcard then run RUU file. That'll give you nice HTC stock rom with no orange/t-mob crap

Edited by miguelsanchez79

Guest xspyda

its pretty simple, just need to create goldcard then run RUU file. That'll give you nice HTC stock rom with no orange/t-mob crap

Though I haven't done it yet, I'd imagine that's pretty straight forward. The hard part is restoring to stock rom if necessary, especially as the tmob UK Orange rom does not seem to available anywhere.

Guest xspyda
T-Mobile ROM is out, just the Orange one that isn't...

T-Mobile one is here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695667

Ah sorry I meant the Orange one. It's the fact I have the Desire on Orange and am using it on Tmobile.

For anyone interested btw, I used this ebay seller for my unlock. Recieved code instantly (within about 3 mins). Seller also answered all my questions equally as rapidly. Very well recommended.

Do we think the Orange UK rom will ever be made available? Is there not some way I can back up the one I have and share with all before I make any mods?

Edited by xspyda

Guest xspyda
I imagine it will surface eventually, Vodafone were the same but theirs is out now

Let's hope so, I daren't do anything with it yet in case I decide to sell it on. I have to say I am not as impressed as I thought I would be with the Desire so far. Maybe a custom rom will change that. However, that won't change the lousy sound quality from the crappy little speaker. Useless for media and useless for speakerphone :-(

Guest EddyOS

I don't use either so not an issue for me (I get images of kids at a bus stop playing music when I hear people say 'I play music from the speaker on my phone' - lol)

Guest Scarlet_Pimp

Do you know if I follow that guide will I be able to receive OTA updates with out problems, I hear a lot of talk about orange phones not being able to use wifi or becoming sim locked after doing this? I cant seem to find any answers to these questions. I would love some one with an Orange phone to report there experiences in full with regard to updates and wifi.

I do want to debrand, just scared I will loose functionality. I don’t mind paying to have the phone unlocked if that would mean I have no problems otherwise I suppose I should wait till its possible to return to factory Orange if I’m not happy with some thing.