Dell Streak / RebelSim II Problems

Guest RconMax

Guest RconMax

Not wishing to hijack griff_dai'sthread I have started my own :lol:

I have listed the sequence of events below but the long and the short of it is:

The phone drops off the Orange network was showing no service and when I re-registered it to Orange it would not send texts and incoming calls are going to voice mail. When I try to make on outgoing call it goes to no service.

Does any one have any useful suggestions?

(Before using the RebelSim to get on Orange I used the Streak on O2 with no issue what so ever.)

Wednesday 23rd June 2010 - The Rebel Sim turned up in the post.

Fitted the Rebel Sim as per the Dell Streak Guide

http://blog.rebelsimcard.com/wp-content/up...setup-guide.pdf

When the phone booted up I had no mobile internet network and could not receive calls in G3 mode.

Starting again I followed the 2G steps in this guide (even though it refers to the iPhone)

http://rebelsimcard.com/virtu/images/docum...usage-guide.pdf

This time when the phone booted all was fine :D

The APN settings for for Orange (Contract) are (the same as those on the Orange web site for the HTC Desire):

Name: Orange Web

APN: orangeinternet

User:

Password:

The APN us case sensitive and the user name and password are left blank. All other settings are left at default.

Thursday 24th June 2010 - This morning the phone received 1 text but could not send any texts. All incoming calls were going to voice mail. Then after a wile it was dropping off the network. It would manually re-register but then drop off again.

Re did the steps (this time for 3G) in this document

And so far (2 hours) it is all systems go.

Friday 25th June 2010 - The phone / Rebel Sim worked fine all day until now. The phone was showing no service and when I re-registered it to Orange it would not send texts and incoming calls are going to voice mail. When I try to make on outgoing call it goes to no service.

Guest thelankygeek

Yep rebel sim is not an ideal unlock solution.

Hopefully once o2 loose the exclusive they will unlock for you... or hopefully a third party unlock solution will become available soon.

Guest RconMax
any more sucess?

Unfortunately not.

At the moment I have got the O2 sim back in because I needed the phone to work reliably this week end.

Guest RconMax
Yep rebel sim is not an ideal unlock solution.

This may be the truth, but now wat I wanted to hear :D

Hopefully once o2 loose the exclusive they will unlock for you...

And I am guessing that this could be ages :D

hopefully a third party unlock solution will become available soon.

I am hoping :lol:

My problem being I let my self get suckered into a 24 month orange contract a year ago :)

Can't afford to pay it off now and cant really afford to take pay O2 as well.

Guest aikibrown

Not wishing to hijack griff_dai'sthread I have started my own :lol:

I have listed the sequence of events below but the long and the short of it is:

The phone drops off the Orange network was showing no service and when I re-registered it to Orange it would not send texts and incoming calls are going to voice mail. When I try to make on outgoing call it goes to no service.

Does any one have any useful suggestions?

(Before using the RebelSim to get on Orange I used the Streak on O2 with no issue what so ever.)

Wednesday 23rd June 2010 - The Rebel Sim turned up in the post.

Fitted the Rebel Sim as per the Dell Streak Guide

http://blog.rebelsimcard.com/wp-content/up...setup-guide.pdf

When the phone booted up I had no mobile internet network and could not receive calls in G3 mode.

Starting again I followed the 2G steps in this guide (even though it refers to the iPhone)

This time when the phone booted all was fine :D

The APN settings for for Orange (Contract) are (the same as those on the Orange web site for the HTC Desire):

User:

Password:

The APN us case sensitive and the user name and password are left blank. All other settings are left at default.

Thursday 24th June 2010 - This morning the phone received 1 text but could not send any texts. All incoming calls were going to voice mail. Then after a wile it was dropping off the network. It would manually re-register but then drop off again.

Re did the steps (this time for 3G) in this document

And so far (2 hours) it is all systems go.

Friday 25th June 2010 - The phone / Rebel Sim worked fine all day until now. The phone was showing no service and when I re-registered it to Orange it would not send texts and incoming calls are going to voice mail. When I try to make on outgoing call it goes to no service.

[/quote

Yes the Rebelsim is far from the ideal solution, but it is the only one at the moment :-(

I tried one and it was a bit hit and miss with my Orange sim card.

In order to receive calls I had to set the network to 2g mode which was not a viable option fodder me. I understand that Rebel are aware of the issue but have yet to test their product on a Dell Streak.

A word of warning, if you are thinking of trying the rebelsim then be aware that you could render your orange sim card useless when you later try to use it without the rebelsim chip. This happened to me after I gave up on the rebel chip and binned it. Put the Orange simply back in my desire (simply unlocked) and the simply failed to register and had to order a placement.

So now I'll wait until unlock codes are made available, either by O2 or others.

Therefore, my advice is to avoid rebelsim (based on my own experience).

Keep streaming.

Guest Loconinja

I have persevered with o2, but the reception is shocking everywhere I go. I have requested an unlock from o2 which they refused. I am having an e-mail conversation with o2 support, but the bottom line is that if they won't unlock it, I'm taking it back.

Guest RconMax

I failed in contacting Rebel Sim support at the email address I got from their site supportdesk(at)rebelsimcard.com so I wrote to the sales address sales(at)rebelsimcard.com who did to be fair respond quite quickly "please read the pdf guide for dell".

I have been cataloguing my experience of using a rebel sim to get my Dell Stread on to a different network (Orange) in Google Buzz and I will be keeping it updated as events unfold.

Needless to say I have written back to Rebel Sim telling them that I have followed the pdf guide for dell and am waiting their response which I will update in Google Buzz

Here is the contact information from Rebel Sim them selves:

email: sales(at)solutions-point(dot)co(dot)uk

Web: www(dot)solutions-point(dot)co(dot)uk

email: sales(at)rebelsimcard(dot)com

Web: www(dot)rebelsimcard(dot)com

MSN: dontforgetus(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk

yahoo: rebelsimcard(at)yahoo(dot)com

Twitter: rebelsims

Gtalk: dontforgetus(at)gmail(dot)com

Guest vinokirk

I have just got my rebelsim. I just put it in with my Tmobile sim and it works fine, including 'H' signal. I didnt even have to put in a new APN. I dont know what the APNs were like before. But now im connecting thru:

Name: Test Internet 01

APN: btmobile.bt.com

Proxy: Not Set

Port: Not Set

Username: bt

Password **

Server, MMC MMS proxy, MMS port: Not set

MCC: 001

MNC: 01

APN type: default

Guest d1kk1e

have you made any other changes to your streak? I have tried the same setup as you but have the "R" on my signal and no data still. even using the same apn as you...

Guest vinokirk
have you made any other changes to your streak? I have tried the same setup as you but have the "R" on my signal and no data still. even using the same apn as you...

Yep still get R. I have a message saying 'Google sign in - You entered the wrong password or your account has changed......etc'

I havent put anything in, i have just left it.

Guest vinokirk

Just taken it out in town(1 mile), didnt loose H signal once. Ill be at work tomorrow which is 20 miles away so we'll see how it is after that...fingers x'ed

Guest RconMax
I just put it in with my Tmobile sim and it works fine, including 'H' signal...

Sounds like you are having more luck with Tmobile than I am with Orange. Keeping my fingers crossed for ya :lol:

Guest RconMax

What net work are you with?

I did not make any changes other than those in the Rebel Sim / Dell guide pdf.

I get the "R" also. That is because as per the guide you have to turn on roaming.

To get the mobile wireless data working I had to go in to

Settings / Wireless Controls / Mobile Networks / Access Point Names

The select New APN from the menu.

Fill in the necessary info for your network.

Don't forget to choose Menu / Save.

The back at

Settings / Wireless Controls / Mobile Networks / Access Point Names

select your newly added APN.

The data should work.

APN settings for Orange contract sims is

The APN is one word in lower case letters, user and password both stay blank and all other settings are left at default.

Guest RconMax

So far so good for my Dell on Orange 2G.

26.5 hours and still working fine.

The 2G is painfully slow compared to H but at least the phone is still on the network.

Hope I have not just tempted fate :s

Guest vinokirk

Hmmmmm, ive had a couple of texts thru in the past 4 hours, but my missis just came home from work saying shes been ringing me and texting me for the past 4 hours, and nothing has gotten thru!

Just put my sim in my HD2 and all the texts have come flooding thru...boooo

Guest RconMax
Hmmmmm, ive had a couple of texts thru in the past 4 hours, but my missis just came home from work saying shes been ringing me and texting me for the past 4 hours, and nothing has gotten thru!

Just put my sim in my HD2 and all the texts have come flooding thru...boooo

Sounds like it is time to rest your network sim and try your Dell on 2G :lol:

Guest vinokirk
Sounds like it is time to rest your network sim and try your Dell on 2G :lol:

Is that a tempory fix? I vaguely remember reading that somewhere. Could you confirm?

Guest RconMax

One thing that the RebelSim Dell guide does not tell you is that when you put your network sim (in my case Orange) into some other 2G phone (in my case I used an HTC Hero with 3G turned off) is to:

Put the network sim in 2G phone (with out the RebelSim).

Power on phone.

Try to connect to a network other than the one your sim is for (in my case I selected O2).

It will refuse to connect but this is to be expected.

This apparently blanks out the validation keys on the network sim.

Now connect to the correct network (in my case Orange).

Now make a phone call. The call does not need to be answered.

Send a text.

Browse the web.

Apparently doing this causes your phone to validate your sim with the network in question and the keys are stored to the sim.

Now put the network sim in your Dell along with the Rebel Sim.

Guest RconMax
Is that a tempory fix? I vaguely remember reading that somewhere. Could you confirm?

RebelSim told me and I quote:

"keep 3g off then and then use"

"when the solution is perfected all exiting users can upgrade free but new users will need to pay double the price"

I am still waiting to hear from the as to when they think they will have a perfect solution and how we will get the free upgrade.

My understanding is that upgrades normally come as a flash for the RebelSim and for this you need a Rebel Compact Programmer costing £10. Maybe we will be send a free Rebel Compact Programmer, or a replacement RebelSim :lol:

Guest vinokirk
RebelSim told me and I quote:

"keep 3g off then and then use"

"when the solution is perfected all exiting users can upgrade free but new users will need to pay double the price"

I am still waiting to hear from the as to when they think they will have a perfect solution and how we will get the free upgrade.

My understanding is that upgrades normally come as a flash for the RebelSim and for this you need a Rebel Compact Programmer costing £10. Maybe we will be send a free Rebel Compact Programmer, or a replacement RebelSim :lol:

I would also like to know this fact!

I wonder if the Rebel sim card programmer is just a generic sim card reading machine....

Edited by vinokirk

Guest RconMax
Yeah but do you think its just a generic sim card reader, or is it a specifically designed piece of equip?

My guess is generic but that's just a guess.