Got the 'stalling' problem? Rooted? Try this...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest hah2110

Am I supposed to get any sort of confirmation of this happening? I get the "not found" error unless I put busybox in front of the commands but there is no positive confirmation. I try multiple times but all it does is throw back the command I typed. I did get the SU prompt but I don't think it is doing anything since neither busybox reboot or reboot actually restart my phone.

EDIT: Don't think it is doing anything since adb shell df reports 0 used of the 166mb... HELP

Guest fredphoesh
I've done what was said in the first post. I can't say things move any quicker. Also, when trying to install Asphalt 5 it has given me the error that I'm running out of space. Have I not done it correctly? How do I check?

Andy I get that too, but after undoing Paul's fix, I STILL get the not enough memory thing... very odd indeed.

Im curious to know if anyone knows what on earth is going on with this "not enough memory" message.

tx

Mark.

Guest nicknick

Hi,

not sure if this has been done in any other message, but I have partialy move directories on /data/data to /dbdata, so you can get a mix of speed and capacity.

mkdir /dbdata/data

for i in com.android.* ; do echo $i ; busybox mv $i /dbdata/data/ ; busybox ln -s /dbdata/data/$i $i ; done
[/codebox]

you can move com.google.* com.sec.android.* and so on, this are small directories so you get no memory hogs on /dbdata, but get the performance increase.

Guest ppeccin

Hello. I'm new to the forum. First of all, congratulations for the great research work.

I just ordered my Galaxy S today. First time Android.

But now after I read this entire thread I already regret I ordered it.

I thought I was buying the latest machine, with the best specs and.... now this.

Please, can someone explain to me in a clear way (ASAP), so maybe I still have a chance to cancel my order if thats the case?

- Is this Lag issue a design problem? Didn't Samsung test the device before putting it on the market?

- How does the other and older Android phones behave in this respect? Do they also have this lag problem?

- If not, does that mean they have MORE memory or FASTER memory than this Galaxy S with all the good specs and reviews/benchmarks?

What is Samsung saying about this? Did they release a very powerful phone with such a BASIC problem?

Will I get this lag problem in normal use?

Thank you very much,

Paulo

Guest squidgyb
Hello. I'm new to the forum. First of all, congratulations for the great research work.

I just ordered my Galaxy S today. First time Android.

But now after I read this entire thread I already regret I ordered it.

I thought I was buying the latest machine, with the best specs and.... now this.

Please, can someone explain to me in a clear way (ASAP), so maybe I still have a chance to cancel my order if thats the case?

- Is this Lag issue a design problem? Didn't Samsung test the device before putting it on the market?

- How does the other and older Android phones behave in this respect? Do they also have this lag problem?

- If not, does that mean they have MORE memory or FASTER memory than this Galaxy S with all the good specs and reviews/benchmarks?

What is Samsung saying about this? Did they release a very powerful phone with such a BASIC problem?

Will I get this lag problem in normal use?

Thank you very much,

Paulo

I really wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if you're a bit of a techie and don't mind tweaking your phone. After loading rom version JG5 and setting up the apps data to be stored on an SD card partition, there's not really any more lag than I'd expect when opening a lot of applications, or when something like a photo/media gallery loads thumbnails for the very first time.

Otherwise - 3D graphics are, without a doubt, the best you will get on a mobile. Sound quality is superb. The screen is beautiful. Media codec support is on par with a dedicated PMP.

Another thing to remember - according to benchmarks the Galaxy S with tweaks on Android 2.1 bests a Nexus on 2.2. When 2.2 comes out on the Galaxy, we'll be in a happy floaty dream world of power.

Or something.

Guest ppeccin
I really wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if you're a bit of a techie and don't mind tweaking your phone. After loading rom version JG5 and setting up the apps data to be stored on an SD card partition, there's not really any more lag than I'd expect when opening a lot of applications, or when something like a photo/media gallery loads thumbnails for the very first time.

Otherwise - 3D graphics are, without a doubt, the best you will get on a mobile. Sound quality is superb. The screen is beautiful. Media codec support is on par with a dedicated PMP.

Another thing to remember - according to benchmarks the Galaxy S with tweaks on Android 2.1 bests a Nexus on 2.2. When 2.2 comes out on the Galaxy, we'll be in a happy floaty dream world of power.

Or something.

Yeah, this is good and fortunately I am a techie...

BUT what performance will I get out of the box without any unofficial tweaks? Does this lag issue destroy the user experience?

Its useless to have the "best" phone out there, if it lags a lot and has slow memory. (and maybe we will never be able to solve the lag problem completely)

Is this Galaxy S better or worse than the Nexus or Desire without the tweaks?

Thanks,

Paulo

Guest parrmani

So I rooted my phone, and now it's stalling..ect How do I run this? Just in the cmd? The phone is connected with USB debugging on

Guest Kilack

BUT what performance will I get out of the box without any unofficial tweaks? Does this lag issue destroy the user experience?

Its useless to have the "best" phone out there, if it lags a lot and has slow memory. (and maybe we will never be able to solve the lag problem completely)

Thanks,

Paulo

Out of the box it can lag a lot yes. The new firmware jg5 gets rid of a lot of the lag though but that is leaked firmware. Official firmware from samsung is rumoured to be released in early august when they bring out froyo for our korean friends.

A combination of jg5 and using autokiller and you probably won't need to use the lag fixes out there. When froyo arrives it should fly.

I would say the galaxy s is the pick of the android bunch right now, its not without its flaws of course.

Edited by Kilack

Guest DistortedLoop

Thanks,

Paulo

My phone (actual SGS model from Singapore) was actually pretty stable and fast with the firmware that came on it. I didn't have lag or black screens that I noticed. I actually didn't even notice them as any more of an issue with JG1 firmware (which I installed to add root and MCR). The lag issues started with MCR variants for me. Most are reporting the JG5 firmware is pretty solid even without fixes. If you're willing to do a few script hacks, JG5 with mimocan's "real fix" (in another thread) and something like MinFreeManager (to auto free up memory) your phone will fly faster than anything out there right now, including phones with FroYo on them.

Guest parrmani

So I rooted my phone, and now it's stalling..ect How do I run this? Just in the cmd? The phone is connected with USB debugging on

Guest ppeccin

Hello, I plan to use this stall fix solution, but I don't have an external SD card yet.

I live in Brazil and my father is coming from USA, so he can get a very good SD card for me.

Please, can anyone tell me the correct specification to a 16GB card that should be good and fast for this fix? A plan to store application data (this fix) and also content on it, of course.

Can someone point me to a good brand/model that should/will work for this?

Please, I cannot go wrong since I don't have the phone yet. My father will bring both the phone and the card for me.

I have to place the order ASAP because my father is departing in a few days, so this is URGENT! :-)

Thank you very much,

Paulo

Guest Kilack
Hello, I plan to use this stall fix solution, but I don't have an external SD card yet.

I live in Brazil and my father is coming from USA, so he can get a very good SD card for me.

Please, can anyone tell me the correct specification to a 16GB card that should be good and fast for this fix? A plan to store application data (this fix) and also content on it, of course.

Please, I cannot go wrong since I don't have the phone yet. My father will bring both the phone and the card for me.

I have to place the order ASAP because my father is departing in a few days, so this is URGENT! :-)

Thank you very much,

Paulo

I have an adata class 6 16 gig card, works fine.

Otherwise go with sandisk class 2 or over, they are getting the same scores anyway.

Guest DistortedLoop

As kilac says, Sandisk seems to be the favored choice, but there's a whole thread here in this forum discussing which cards work and which don't. Bottom line over there seems to be ANYTHING EXCEPT FOR KINGSTON.

Guest KLoNe Technologies
I have an adata class 6 16 gig card, works fine.

Otherwise go with sandisk class 2 or over, they are getting the same scores anyway.

Yeah, my 32GB Sandisk is class two and I'm getting 1700+ with my phone running a dickload of services.

Guest ppeccin

So, I read somewhere that when you use this fix and transfer the app data to the external SD, the battery life goes bye bye, because there will be too much access to the external card.

Is that true?

Are you guys experiencing this?

If so, would the size of the card or the class make any difference? Like in a 8GB card using less battery than a 16GB card?

Thanks for any feedback. Still deciding if I should buy a card and do this or not.

I would hate to see the battery lasting less than it already does now.

Thanks!

Paulo

Guest Kilack
So, I read somewhere that when you use this fix and transfer the app data to the external SD, the battery life goes bye bye, because there will be too much access to the external card.

Is that true?

Are you guys experiencing this?

If so, would the size of the card or the class make any difference? Like in a 8GB card using less battery than a 16GB card?

Thanks for any feedback. Still deciding if I should buy a card and do this or not.

I would hate to see the battery lasting less than it already does now.

Thanks!

Paulo

I can't say I have noticed a real difference really... I am used to charging it once per day and that hasn't changed.....

I guess someone would need to do a real test.. run the same programs for same length of time on phone not using sdcard fix and one without otherwise its humans judging it.. which isn't always entirely accurate :(.

Guest ppeccin
I can't say I have noticed a real difference really... I am used to charging it once per day and that hasn't changed.....

I guess someone would need to do a real test.. run the same programs for same length of time on phone not using sdcard fix and one without otherwise its humans judging it.. which isn't always entirely accurate :(.

Which card are you using? (brand/size/class/etc)

Thanks

Guest DistortedLoop

Why would reading/writing to the external sdcard take more juice than the internal? They're both flash memory, right?

Battery life for me doesn't seem to be an issue, either before or after moving the stuff to the ext partition.

One thing you just have to get used to with these super big display phones is that they probably need to be charged at least daily, and if you're a "moderate" or "heavy" user, you should probably just suck it up and get a charger/usb cable for the car, the office and the house, at least until Seidio or someone else comes out with a replacement battery that packs more juice.

Each of my five iPhones (even the latest iPhone 4), my Nexus One, EVO 4G, and this Galaxy S all can't really make it through the day on the stock battery the way I use them. My iPhones all had mophie juicepack cases, and my N1 and EVO had Seidio extended batteries.

Guest naxir
cp: not found

what's the problem?

Ensure that you are rooted, that you have downloaded Busybox from the market and ran the app to install it.

Guest dan 6a

Hi Paul, I installed BRUT maps and was told in the BRUT xda forum to do the strings below to remove original google map

adb remount

adb shell "find /system /data -name *com.google.android.apps.maps.apk* -o -name Maps.apk | xargs rm"

adb uninstall com.google.android.apps.maps

Can you re write what to put in, I think due to the lagfix it is different as in adb it couldnt find the file ,thanks in advance

Guest rbaggio00
Like? are there other parts of the nand we might possibly get write acces to?

when i type cp -rp /data/data i receive a permission denied

anyideas on what the issue could be